“A disappointing return visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Riverside Cafe

Riverside Cafe
Ranked #11 of 64 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lancaster PA
“A disappointing return visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Although on previous visits to Maine we had great experiences but this visit was not good. Excellent service from Heidi but food was poorly cooked. Overcooked vegetable medley And the crab lobster combo cake had too much and too salty filler. haddock was passable. The fruit pie was great. We especially enjoyed listening to Ivey which took the edge off the mediocre meal.

3 Thank Vic P

Boston, Massachusetts
“45 minutes for pancakes - after ordering”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I reviewed the Riverside cafe in the past and had terrific experiences. This wasn't one of them.
Breakfast on an August Thursday at 11 AM. Its not packed, there are empty tables. Yet it took 45 minutes to serve a party of 4 adults and two toddlers. 45 minutes to get an order of eggs, pancakes and quiche. Did I mention we had a 3 year old and a 17 mo old with us? Really well behaved kids ... but even the adults were getting aggravated it took so long to get our food. 45 minutes to get pancakes. Not once did the waitress or hostess say anything about the delay. By the time the food came, we were done with the whole experience.

2 Thank PBD22
Ellsworth
“The most simple breakfast is the hardest to perfect. Riverside did it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I frequent the Riverside for breakfast on Sundays. We love the location, the staff, the updated decor.

I usually have quiche ( I LOVE this Spinach Feta). My husband mixes it up sometimes... The Oat Bake (which is huge and always delightful), pancakes, or scrambled eggs. (sometimes we are feeling silly and have cake for breakfast).

I went in one Sunday and was sad to not see Spinach Feta Quiche on the breakfast specials. I went to my go to, which is eggs over-medium, toast and bacon. I'm pretty picky about my eggs and bacon. I like my bacon extra crispy, which usually means deep fried (you would be shocked how less fatty it is). Over-medium eggs are not the same everywhere. Many places don't know how to make over-medium eggs. They are always either too runny ( not even over easy quality) or no runny yoke ( I didn't ask for fried eggs). The Riverside did it EXACTLY right. The eggs weren't too runny, nor were they overcooked!

Today I had the Chicken Red pepper Quiche, and I have to say I was again pleased!

During the summer months it can be difficult to please everyone in a tourist area, so I encourage anyone who has a great meal to review it and say a big thank you to your wait staff, and if possible the cook.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jessica B
Florida
“Very disappointed with quality of food at dinner.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I ordered the chowder, their speciality, and they were out of it, then I ordered the waitress's suggestion of a crab melt with a glass of chardonnay. The wine served me was a red wine, the crab melt came with a cold lumb of crab in a thick piece of bread with a cold lab of cheese just barely toasted on the outside. This at the height of the season in Maine with only a few tables in the restaurant and yet they are out of their speciality and they can not serve the correct wine and the food was served cold and uneatable. This is a pretty cafe in the heart of Ellsworth but it needs better management if it is to survive.

4 Thank rondor33
manchester, nh
“Big disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Very disappointing...service was slow and very inattentive...food was only mediocre...can do much better in Ellsworth

3 Thank roroteacher