“They deliver alcohol with pizza to homes; this is not a smart move”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Charlie's Pizza & Sub Shop
Ranked #38 of 64 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: Pizza
Ellsworth, Maine
“They deliver alcohol with pizza to homes; this is not a smart move”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

When I learned they deliver alcohol with food orders for home delivery and my spouse, a recovering alcoholic was getting these deliveries, I called and spoke to a woman who claimed she was the owner. I warned her I did not want any deliveries to my home address and under a week later, they delivered again. This is putting my husband's recovery in jeapardy! He is still early in recovery and this is like feeding candy to a baby. All they want is money; they care nothing for anyone's welfare and safety.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Carla B

reykjavik
“Best dining experience in Ellsworth, by far”
Reviewed March 29, 2008

For pizza in Ellsworth, there's Finelli's ("gourmet" but just standard, a bit overpriced), there's Pat's (fine selection of beer and okay food), and then there's Charlie's, the locals' favorite. Located off the beaten path, just behind the Post Office & around the corner from The Grand. I've never been disappointed with anything from Charlie's, and this includes feeling welcomed and valued as a customer. The food is high quality, very well prepared, and the prices are so spot-on fair. In terms of ambiance, well, this ain't no Ritz: there's a little dining room in the back, clean, nothing fancy -- just darn good cooking. When I go to Finelli's I feel a bit taken for a ride, and when I go to Pat's I feel I'm getting a fair meal at a price higher than warranted. You'll likely not find many summer visitors at Charlie's because if you're driving through Ellsworth, you won't pass it on a major road; but find the Post Office and it's right behind that. It's really nice to find a place where owners and workers take pride in the quality of their work, and treat their customers right. By the way, if you want to buy beer, you can at Charlie's, but consuming it on the premises is not permitted, per its liquor license. (You'd be better off at Pat's if you want to drink + eat.) And oh -- if you're staying at a hotel in Ellsworth, Charlie's delivers. As for Finelli's voted "Downeast's #1"? Because Charlie's doesn't advertise, the shop was not listed among the candidates for voting in the newspaper, FYI. As someone originally from NY, when I want pizza or a sub in Ellsworth, I go to Charlie's.

5 Thank Opscoor