“A great family restaurant with typical Maine cuisine and a wonderful bakery.”

Governor's Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #14 of 63 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Just opened April 25th, 2012
Ellsworth, Maine
“A great family restaurant with typical Maine cuisine and a wonderful bakery.”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If you're looking for a inexpensive place to eat with a family atmosphere then this restaurant which opened in April is for you. It is at the Maine Mall in Ellsworth across from the DownEast Highway. If you're on your to Bar Harbor or visiting Machias or Canada, make sure to make a stop at Governors. It has a restaurant and a very tempting bakery. Governors has 5 other locations and has been in business for 52 years. The Manager, Nan was very accomodating in explaining what her restaurant is offering. The restaurant can hold 125 people. Outside there is a sign which posts daily special such as fried clams, lobster roll or haddock fries. Each month's special is posted on a outside sign with the price. When you walk in the bakery on the right with everything from Whoopie Pies to chocolate cookies. In the resaurnant itself there are booths as well as tables. A train track runs along the wall. Something kids as well as grownups love.Saturdays and Sundays there are buffets. Whether you want to splurge in calories or you are on a diet there is something for everyone. A very popular place.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank baklavaqueen

Ellsworth, Maine
“Best service I've had for a long time”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This was the second trip for me to Governor;s and it will certainly not be my last. I had the sirloin salad, my companion had clams and fries, both were very good. But the staff are what is outstanding, very well trained and always friendly.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank pegclegg
stephm071
“I thought it was pretty good...”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

After paying 10-12 for just pancakes and toast in Bar Harbor and getting just average food, it was a nice change to get good food for almost half the price. We stopped here for dinner and breakfast. The first time I had the grilled cheese and onion rings and then for breakfast I had the banana bread french toast (and I know this is strange) but toast as well. The home made bread was great and the pastry and desserts were good, Both time we had very attentive servers. I will admit the breakfast took a little while to arrive, but it was hot and good.

• Visited May 2012
Southwest Harbor, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“slow slow service”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We met people at the door coming out who had waited 20 minutes and had not seen a waitress and ad vise us to go somewhere else but it was pretty empty at 10.30am on a thursday so we gave it a try as we hadnt been yet and it is new!!
Our waitress came within 5 minutes so we thought great but it took 40 minutes to get our breakfast...just a scramble nothing fancy. Food was good and in the hour we were there a lot started coming in but seem short staffed and not very organized.

• Visited May 2012
Ellsworth
“Mixed Review”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We decided to see if this location was as good as the one in Waterville.

It had been a long time since we had been to a Governor’s, so we needed some time with the menu. Our waiter really made us feel rushed. We were looking through the menu, and he kept circling. We did not appreciate that. My husband ordered a burger and fries. The waiter did point out that Mondays were the day that the burger, fries and drink were the special (since my husband had not gotten that far in the menu because the water kept circling).

When our meals came out, another member of the wait staff brought our food. She gave my husband my order and me his, so that was rather frustrating. I eat very little, and the waiter came over and saw that I did not have food, and didn’t even know if I got my meal. He circled for the rest of the time we were there until my husband had finished. My husband really enjoyed his burger. I had ordered a specialty burger and found it over sauced and over cooked to my liking.

We ordered the Chocolate peanut butter cake to go. I admittedly enjoyed it; my husband found that the frosting tasted off. I don’t eat a lot of sweats, so I guess I was not the one to judge.

I don’t know if we will be going back, because we get better service for similar pricing at Denny’s or the Riverside.

• Visited April 2012