“Trains return to Ellswort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Ellsworth
Oxford
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Trains return to Ellswort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

The is was a fun outing for my wife and several family members.Tickets were $79 for 4 adults and 3 children. We road in the open car and got to see ospreys, have a snack and enjoy the sunshine. Both children and adults had a wonderful time riding the rails and going back to a time when railroads were a principal means of travel. Hopefully the Downeast Scenic will continue to expand.

1 Thank Walter B

Sassano, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun way to spend the afternoon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Short enjoyable train ride. We sat in the open car(get there early to secure a seat in that car), and ate our picnic lunch as the train chugged down the track. All the workers were volunteers and they were most helpful and friendly. I would consider this a child, more than an adult activity.

1 Thank sofia v
Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it, even as a local!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Very relaxing ride with friendly staff. It was chilly and drizzly out but we still had a great time!

Visited September 2011
Southwest Harbor, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fun trainride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Have been meaning to go since it opened. It is a fun little train ride through Ellsworth. Great for children, and people who enjoy trains. All the volunteers were very friendly, and helpful. We even brought our dog.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank SWH_Alex
Brooklyn, NY
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“The trains have been cared for meticulously, but there was not much "scenery."”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

The Downeast Rail Preservation Trust is the organization that has restored these train cars and engines, and runs the scenic railroad. The train cars and engines are in amazing condition, and the staff working on the railroad is friendly and I believe that they are all volunteering.

I had anticipated a "scenic" ride, but I was very unimpressed with the scenery. A lot of the train track right-of-way was still very ripped up, I assume from the restoration of the railroad tracks which had not been used for years until 2010.

I think the most scenic part of the ride was when we passed through the wetlands and saw osprey nests as well as an osprey.

The ride starts in the middle of the line, and you travel to one end of the line and stop. The engine moves to the other end of the train, and then you travel to the other end of the line and stop. Again the engine moves back around to its original position and you return to the station. If you are sitting in the car behind the engine, you can expect to be inhaling some diesel fumes during the ride. You can definitely move around to the different train cars throughout the ride if you have any issues with the fumes.

Kids seemed to enjoy it although I think many of them became bored with the repetition and waiting times. Someone was having a birthday party on board in the open-air car, and that seemed to be a lot of fun.

Train fanatics will enjoy the restored train cars, engines, and overall history of trains and the line that runs to Bar Harbor, as well as talking with the staff who were all involved in getting the railway running.

The cost was $13 for each adult and $7 for children 3 and over. Tickets are purchased within the Cadillac Mountain Sports store. The brochures state that advance reservations are recommended, and when I called to make a reservation they took all of my information including my credit card details. When I arrived at the store to pick up our tickets, they did not have our reservation details. It turned out OK-- there was space on the train, we were not double charged for the tickets, but it was very uncomfortable to have given someone my credit card details and not have a reservation. My recommendation would be to go to the store to make the train ticket purchase.

Overall I was disappointed in the experience and would not return.

6 Thank bklynKat