“Comfortable place to crash after hiking and kayaking in Acadia all day”

Hampton Inn Ellsworth / Bar Harbor
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Though it is half an hour from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, I like to 'camp out' at Hampton Inns at night after a full day of strenuous activity and this one was the closest. The motel has a wonderful breakfast--including make your own waffles and fresh fruit--to kick start the day. The bedding package is the gold standard in motels--the duvets are washed for each guest and there is a choice of super comfortable pillows.
The room I got had a microwave and fridge, but there was no whirlpool option, which was disappointing. After making it up the Beehive and then going for a sunset paddle, a good whirlpool would have been welcome.
Though there was a whirlpool for the general public near the swimming pool.
A washing machine and dryer were available if one needed to freshen up one's soggy gear.
There was also free internet access and a really nice business center.
My one reservation was that, though I am a HiltonHonors Gold member, one of the women at the front desk denied me a bottle of water when I asked for it just after breakfast (we were there for four days and that day, I had forgotten to take a breakfast bag)--she wanted me to purchase the water instead. I eventually got the water, but the experience left a bad feeling. I routinely ask for a bottle of water when I am leaving and have never had a problem at other Hampton locations.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ShifraToronto

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I am writing this review during my second evening of a three night stay at the Hampton Inn in Ellsworth / Bar Harbor. This is one of the best Hampton Inns I've stayed at, and the proximity to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park make it an excellent lodging option for visitors to these locations. If you can use reward Hilton points in the peak summer season, this hotel is an extremely good value and worth choosing over some of the more pricey options in downtown Bar Harbor.

Pros
Beds: The beds may be the most comfortable I've ever slept in at any hotel, and I've stayed at some very luxurious hotels. The pillows are fluffy and there are three on each double bed. If you are looking for comfort and a sound night's sleep, you'll like this hotel.
Showers: The showers, like the hotel itself, are fairly new. The shower head comes with a variety of settings so you can adjust the water pressure and spray. The water also stayed hot for my sister after I took a very long shower following a long day of hiking. The bathrooms and showers are excellent.
Service: The employees at this Hampton Inn are extremely friendly and helpful. My family brought a large cooler of food and drinks to fuel us during our long hiking days, and when we found out there was no fridge in the room to keep drinks and snacks, the front desk staff kindly brought a mini-fridge to our room within five minutes of us asking whether this would be possible.

Cons: Other than somewhat slower-than-usual internet service, I can't think of any cons. If you like the Hampton Inn chain, you'll be extremely pleased with this hotel.

Expect to drive around 20 minutes to the entrance of Acadia National Park.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Elise H
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Beautiful and clean room complete with fridge and microwave. The bathroom was clean and spacious. Complementary breakfast served each morning. We were happy with our choice to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SunyFLx4
Reviewed June 25, 2012

While it is a bit of a drive to Bar Harbor and Acadia (30 minutes or so) this is a nice clean family place that offered a great breakfast and a good value. As we had not been to the area before we weren't sure what to expect with the smaller bed and breakfast or resort type hotels in Bar Harbor itself so we felt a bit more confident choosing a name brand. There is a Walmart close by to grab snacks and "whatnot" as well. The staff was very friendly. A refrigerator in the room would be a nice touch but we got by with our cooler.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2012

everything you expect in a Hampton Inn - good room, good staff, decent breakfast, and small little sign for a location behind other businesses. I drove right past it. Small complait to have.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Hotel is a nice Hampton. Pretty much fits the mold of the chain. The wifi speed was horrendously slow when we stayed there though. The staff is very friendly however.

The one down side is that it is very pricey. For $30/night more we could have stayed in Bar Harbor at a nice hotel and on the water and avoided all the traffic to get to Bar Harbor.

Overall I would say this is an OK hotel, but if you're there see Bar Harbor, I would stay in Bar Harbor if you can.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DavidN1947
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Hampton was a very clean, new-looking hotel. Everything was what you would expect. The pool was nice, the breakfast was one of the best I've had at a hotel chain, and the staff was great. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars, is the fact that we were woken up in the middle of the night by people in the hall...when they closed their room door - I thought someone had come into our room and so I got out of bed to check it out...It doesn't seem to be very well insulated or something because we could hear everything - even the tv in the room next to us. The AC unit was also loud, but it did the job. Overall, a great place to stay albeit a little more expensive than you'd expect from a chain like this. About 35 minutes from Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellsworth
Comfort Inn Ellsworth - Bar Harbor
#18 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Eagle's Lodge Motel
Eagle's Lodge Motel
#4 of 10 in Ellsworth

Been to Hampton Inn Ellsworth / Bar Harbor? Share your experiences!