“Nice alternative while in the midcoast Maine area”
Review of Davis Island Grille - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I are locals but had not been to the restaurant since it was the Muddy Ridder. We stopped by for an early Sunday lunch and were both very pleased. We ate on the outside patio facing the river and Wiscasset, and it was a peaceful option from the hustle and bustle of Wiscasset's route 1 summer traffic. The service was good and the menu offered a variety of choices. My wife said the reuben sandwich she had was the best ever and I opted for a 3-egg omelet from the brunch menu, also excellent. We will definitely be back again soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stopped in here by chance on our way through this past Sunday. We had no intention of coming here, but after sitting in Wiscaset traffic for far too long, we decided to make a pit stop for dinner. We felt a little out of place when we walked into the granite floored lobby and were greeted by a hostess in fancy dress, but she assured us we were dressed fine and took us to a granite topped table. Despite feeling underdressed we decided to stay when we took a look at the menu.

It took a while for our waitress to come around to us, but the hostess gave us water while we were waiting and said someone would be with us shortly. By the time the waitress came to us we were all ready to order. There were no specials, but the food selection was good here, appetizers and sandwiches for casual items, and steak and seafood dishes that are more suited for the upscale atmosphere of the place.

All of the food was excellent. We all ordered something different so we could sample each others plates, and nobody was disappointed (except for the tiny containers of ketchup and cold rolls). The portions were large and despite a number of good looking desserts on the menu nobody had room for more at the end of the meal. The atmosphere was nice. A little fancy, with all the stonework, but there was a nice water view. We stayed inside because we didn’t want to get eaten by bugs, but the patio seating looked nice too overlooking the river.

The only drawback to the evening was overhearing a disgruntled waitress belittling the hostess because a party decided to eat in the bar and instead of the dining area. There was a gentleman called over who I presume was the manager the waitress appeared mad at him and told him he didn’t know what he was doing. We felt embarrassed to have heard the whole thing, and after it was over the waitress stomped around talkin under her breath to herself and slamming silverware on the table. A little awkward.

But other than that incident the restaurant itself was great. Like I mentioned it seems a little fancy and we felt underdressed. But there were plenty of affordable options on the menu and all of the food was delicious. If we ever come back this way again we will come here again.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We have been waiting for someone to reopen the restaurant and we were not disappointed. My husband and I both had the Zuppa di Peche which was excellent. The view is very nice and the decor is very attractive. The menu is extensive and varied.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

My sister and I were looking forward to having a surf and turf meal. It wasn't on the menu but they said they would do it. The lobster was in a butter sauce which was decent but the medallion steak tasted "old" and was wrapped in bacon with a brown gravy. The service was fine but maybe we should have stuck with something that was on the menu :<

Reviewed May 11, 2012

The menu says it all -- several pages of everything under the sun- pastas, meats, seafood, soups, salads, nachos, etc. Anytime I see that, I know the meal isn't going to be anything to right home about. Stick to the fresh Maine seafood and you'll be okay.

1  Thank theresaw