“Not a Sports Bar”

Happy Crab
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Eastport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Popular Pub Style Menu: Good Food Fun Folks.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is promoted and advertised as a sports bar but there really are not many televisions or sports events to watch. The food was merely adequate.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Happy Crab is a unprepossessing little seafood restaurant in Eastport, Maine.a small fishing village near the New Brunswick border.
It's easily found near the end of Water Street There is a small outdoor deck and an equally small interior restaurant with the traditional bar. Not well designed and the views are obstructed. I ordered the scallops and my companion had the seafood chowder. The scallops were cooked just right and the better half declared the chowder to be "the best she has ever had". The service is very informal, bordering on negligent, but we would go back again and again for the chowder. This moved The Happy Crab rating from just Average to Very Good.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

The food taste in house made, not frozen. The scallops weren't the best I have had but the were good. The Clam Chowder was certainly better than most, but the fresh haddock is what pulled this up to a good rating. Lightly corn-mealed, not greasy even though it was fried! So white and fresh... I would go again and again if I lived close by. I heard they do this in a beer batter on the weekends. I was disappointed to not be able to try that. Service was friendly, with maybe some tension as the owners live above the restaurant/bar... Happy Hour isn't very happy. :( It's a spin of a wheel that isn't very generous at all, hokey. If you want to do a business happy hour, do it, I say. They could be doing a mini-samplers and/or drinks discounts instead of the joke of spinning a wheel that has only one slot to give a free drink out of 50 or so. The restaurant is nothing to write home about, cheesy style chairs and tables, but it's clean and has a small library. I don't know if it a book trade or ?. It's across from the town library, a must stop in and in front of a water front seafood house- fish and lobster right off the docks. I did go down there to get lobsters to go. I will write a review about that also. (It is worth the short walk) Eastport is very nice, quintessential Maine. Order the Haddock at Happy Crab, maybe try the lobster pizza! I want to go back.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Dropped in hoping to see a playoff game and grab a bite of seafood. Immediately upon entering we were disappointed with the feel of the place. Poorly laid out with the bar off to the side and the deck squeezed off the bar. Yes there are some views, but sort of slanted and peripheral. The food was better than that, good hot wings and decent sea food. Our waitress was nice enough, but overall nothing special. We found other places with more character and better variety.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Fried clams were excellent as was the clam chowder. They also have some good local kraft beers there but the young waitress had no idea waht they were. She showed me the cooler and I picked out what I liked. The crab cakes were mediocre at best. Eastport is a nice little town with a great history that may be on it's way back. Lots of work and renovation going on.