The Brewster Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$64
Canaan Motel(Canaan)
$99
Best Western White House Inn(Bangor)(Great Value!)
$118
Rodeway Inn(Bangor)
$74
$121
Kyes Motel(Skowhegan)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshoneymoon suiteb bhot dishbed and breakfastother guestsliving roomenjoyed our staynew englandgreat hostsold housebreakfast was deliciousa wonderful place to stayeach morningpleasure of stayingmoosehead lakehome away from homecomfortable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Here in Maine ALL families are accepted and welcomed. Mark being an English Gentleman is a no exception to that rule and is a wonderful host. My spouse and I booked the weekend in the honeymoon suite for Valentine's weekend. From our first meeting in the drive way to our last, Mark treated us with open arms. Walking into the Honeymoon Suite was like walking back in time. Knotty pine walls and ceilings with exposed wood beams. Beautifully newly refinished hardwood floors. Antique books and various items lined the bookshelves all around the room. The bed was antique looking but with a wonderful memory foam mattress. The gas fireplace provided warmth and ambiance to the room. The whirlpool bathtub was a very special treat. Sitting in that during the night with the light from the fireplace while the snow was falling outside was picturesque. The sitting room was a nice spot to do a meditation while sitting on the futon looking out at the falling snow and the full moon. The over all cleanliness of the Inn was spotless. Breakfast was wonderful! The menu was fresh and hot and served in the dining room overlooking the yard. Something that Mark said really stuck with me "The Brewster Inn IS the destination, not Dexter" and this is so true. We specifically decided to have a "staycation" and support a local business, rather than a big chain business. We specifically wanted to go to a place and feel captivated, moved to another time or place. The Brewster Inn did not fail us. There were quaint little antique shops all along the main road, wonderful eateries such as "Vittles" in Pittsfield, Me. This trip was all we had hoped it would be and more. We strongly recommend this Inn to our LGBT community and families out there. We plan on brining our children back and becoming regulars! Thanks Mark and see you soon!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BrewsterInn_Mark, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Thank you for the lovely review. I think what you say about acceptance of everyone and welcome to all is exactly what i always try and do here. Thank you for coming and i look forward to seeing you both and with your family in the future. I say to a lot of my guests that Dexter is not the destination, its the Brewster Inn that's your destination because of everything being here for you when you get here. The beauty of Dexter is its geographic location being the centrepoint of Maine so everywhere is easily accessible and just a day trip when you stay at the Brewster Inn. Anything that my guests need to make their stay more enjoyable i always try and provide to give all my guests the best stay i can.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

You can just tell when an Inn Keeper loves what he does. Mark has done a great job restoring the Inn to a warm, comfortable and inviting place for visitors to stay. If you are headed to Dexter Maine, look no further for lodging. Trust that you will be welcomed with a clean comfortable room at fair and reasonable prices. When you turn in, the room might be so comfortable you decide to stay in for an extra hour or so. You won't be disappointed staying at the Brewster Inn.

Room Tip: We have stayed here twice in 2 separate rooms. I think the website represents very well what each room offers, so I recommend you visit the website to help decide which room is best. If not trust Mark to help you make a wise choice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Hi James thank you for your kind words. I get a lot of people stay here who are doing a million different things. The Brewster Inn is a great place to be in the central Maine area, whether your here for a few days or just passing through . See you again!

Reviewed February 6, 2014

This beautiful BnB in quaint Dexter, Maine was once the residence of Owen Brewster, Governor of Maine (remember the governor played by Alan Alda in Martin Scorsese’s film, The Aviator?). The place, now owned by Englishman Mark Stephens, is now a delightful museum full of old bric-a-brac and Owen Brewster memorabilia
It is a veritable doll’s house with nooks and crannies containing many pleasant surprises. The rooms are spacious and clean and atmosphere is that of a quiet retreat. It was a wonderful experience and hope to repeat it soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very agreeable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Hi Chas, great to see you on your stay here at the Brewster Inn. Theres so much to see and do here and i hope to see you again so that i can show you all that my part of Maine has to offer

Reviewed January 23, 2014

When I made a reservation at the Brewster Inn, i did it because the inn looked lovely from the pictures and because of the many positive reviews. My husband and I travel to New England every couple of years to enjoy the snow and wander around Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. When I found this place, my husband questioned why on earth we would want to go up to Dexter where there was little to do in the winter. I told him I liked the inn pictures and he rolled his eyes. That got me a little worried, but when we arrived, our worries were put to rest. Mark has done an incredible job of refurbishing this inn. You can tell that there has been so much work done. For example, the living room. The painting detail is amazing and his taste is quite lovely. He continues to have things done and seems like he is always working on improving. Our room was the game room, and I highly recommend it. We looked at the other rooms and though all are lovely, ours was the biggest and the most spectacular. It is all covered in wood paneling, including a complex ceiling done in stunning wood design. The huge kind bed was comfortable and he had feather pillows, which we love. There were three luggage racks and lots of places to put things. The fireplace was a wonderful touch. Mark is more than willing to give help when needed. If you ask a question, be ready for a rather lengthy response - brevity is not his strong suit, but he is a gracious and caring host and we will definitely return to this lovely in. We did very little but drive around and look at the lakes and read and knit and cuddle, but other will find much to do during their days if pure relaxation is not your goal.

Room Tip: Pick the game room, if stairs are OK with you.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi twestover..
Thank you for coming all the way from the west coast. It was great having you here and enjoying the Game room. At 650sqft it really is an incredible room and very comfy for all my guests with king bed, great seating area, fireplace and lots of good amenities Whether you want to relax with your partner or be outdoors doing activities, the Brewster Inn is a great place to be

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our overnight stay at the Brewster Inn was great. Mark, the innkeeper, is a very attentive host and went out of his way to ensure our needs were met. Our room was very comfortable and the furnishings throughout were wonderfully warm and historic. Mark had a great breakfast prepared the next morning. We will definitely stay there again and hopefully for longer next time.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi PuppyHappy! Thank you for coming and sharing your thoughts on Tripadvisor. It was great having you here and i look forward to seeing you again in the future