“A place to go in New England”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Brewster Inn

The Brewster Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Dexter B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lausanne
“A place to go in New England”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

We spent one night at the Brewster Inn during our New England Road trip. That was one of our favorite place. So warm, lovely, very fascinating "england style". A nice place to stay with such a kind innkeeper. And last but not least, the room was CLEAN, as nowhere else! Really better than our expectations, a great surprise on our way.

1 Thank Irishmood
BrewsterInn_Mark, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Place to go- I’m glad you enjoyed your time here and found it to be a great surprise along your way. I do pride myself on cleanliness, comfort, information and friendliness. Your description of the Brewster Inn as warm, lovely, fascinating and England style is exactly how I hope all guests find it. Thank you for your post and hope you all can visit again some day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Atkinson, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We always stay with family for Thanksgiving, but this year that was not possible, so I set about to find a place for my wife and I to stay. The two motels which are close to where we were going to be, are sub par. I looked into B&B's, thinking we would have a nice, romantic getaway while not with relatives.

Spoke to Mark at the Brewster Inn, and explained that I am a BIG guy (close to 500lbs) and needed 1st floor, king bed, and a shower that I could fit in easily. While on the phone, Mark took the time to measure bathrooms, discussed moving things around to accommodate, and after a few calls back and forth, he came up with a brilliant solution.

The Inn was beautiful, and we have vowed to return when we had more time, and could take in more of the ambiance. Perhaps when we are not in Maine for a family visit. An avid gardener, I am sure if we returned during a warmer season, my wife would spend time admiring the gardens.

There is a lovely hallway lined with comfy chairs, where I could see myself chatting with fellow guests. The living room was wonderfully decorated, with a fireplace and a magnificent window seat. I realized that the big difference with a B&B is that, it's all about the areas OUTSIDE of your room that can make your stay a pleasant one. The Brewster Inn really shines in this category.

The room Mark prepared for us had a whirlpool tub and a HUGE shower. The water pressure was awesome, and we missed it immediately upon our return home. Breakfast smelled YUMMY and I could not wait to partake. I was not disappointed, and the English Muffins make Thomas's English Muffins (nooks and crannies and all) seem like warm Brillo pads!!!

Reading Mark's story and the history of the Inn, together with all that Mark has done since buying the place, I realized that to be a B&B owner, one must make it one's life work. The passion Mark has for what he is doing, made our stay one to remember.

Room Tip: Have a chat with Mark on the phone before you choose, he is a master at accommodating.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave L
Beyond call of duty – I’m so happy you all enjoyed your stay here. And appreciate your tip to call ahead of time if need to discuss any special needs or concerns. I want each and every guest to feel as if they were well taken care of. I’m glad you all enjoyed your room, that whirlpool tub is great for romantic get aways or to relax the stress away. I work hard to make sure that all the public areas are not only comfortable, but inviting, so guest will feel enjoy sharing them. So happy you all enjoyed your breakfasts. I’m constantly trying new recipes. There’s a large selection to suit everyone, but I do pride myself on the special hot dish of the day. I strive to make it something that is tasty and feels like a special treat. I hope you all can visit again soon, there will be lots to see in the garden and Inn. Thanks so much for your post!
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've been a bit everywhere in New England and through the States and this is the best B&B I've been at. The service from the day you book till you're on your way again, is outstanding. Well managed, great approach and tips that will make it easier to find your way around.
First time I see a B&B with a license for alcohol and hope to enjoy my stay there again.
Thank you Mark for the Hospitality!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sophie R
Thank you for the very kind words and post. It’s important for guests at the Brewster Inn get everything possible that makes you appreciate your stay. It doesn’t take more than a few moments to give your guests the best experience you can which is always what I try and do here at the Brewster Inn. I always hope that all my guests will have a great time here. Hope to see you and your family here in the future.
Bowdoin, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have never stayed at a B&B before so I wasn't sure what to expect. When I arrived at 3pm they were not quite ready for me so he had me sit in the living room. Under the couches looked a little dusty. The house is quite fascinating though. I felt like I had stepped back in time. I had a pleasant room and it was very quiet. Breakfast was wonderful. I would like to go back in the summer to see the garden in bloom. While the Inn wasn't as elegant in.person as the pictures on line showed, it was a pleasant stay..I would go back.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank NanaP155
Nice B&B – I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. The house does have a fascinating history and I’m always happy to share it with guests. I hope you will return to see the gardens in bloom, they are beautiful and have had many changes since I first arrived, with more to come. There has been a lot of changes going on to continually improve and update the Inn, especially the changes that continue in the living room. However, I pride myself on the cleanliness and apologize if some dust was present upon your arrival. I can promise you that we’ll be more diligent after any work taking place. I’m glad you enjoyed the breakfast and hope you’ll come back to visit again.
North Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

A great thanks to Mark at the Brewter Inn! This was a first time visit to Maine for my husband Tim and I and we couldn't have felt more at home. Mark was very inviting and knowledgable of the best places to visit. Breakfast was wonderful every morning and we really felt like we were right in our own home state having breakfast with old friends! Our stay in the honeymoon suite was beyond relaxing and i am still in disbelief over the cleanliness of the entire suite! Mark-don't worry about anyone trying to haggle you over that because we've been to many different places over the years we've been together and i can safely say that everything was spotless!

The Inn was beautiful and the history behind the mansion is wonderful.

Thank you so much for a lovely stay and we look forward to catching up with you again in the future.

All the best,
Tara & Tim S.
Connecticut

1 Thank TaraS924
Thank you for your kind post. I’m so glad you enjoyed your anniversary stay here! I pride myself on my local knowledge. Knowing the good dining, things to do and sights to see is always an extra help when guests need info. This part of Maine is a wonderful place to be as there is so much to see and do. Im always pleased to help guests with info. The Honeymoon Suite is a wonderful guest room. Almost 600 sqft , original wood paneling, great seating area,, fireplace and a big whirlpool. Thanks for coming and hope to see you all again soon.
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Brewster Inn is a delightful surprise in Dexter! It is a lovely charming Inn. The Game Room was one of my favorite rooms on our stay!! It was a super cozy, huge room with very homey feel. Loved it! And out of all the 6 B&B's on our trip, Mark was by far the most gracious and personable host. He felt like an old friend by the time we left. We loved our stay!

Room Tip: Game Room was better than I even anticipated.
1 Thank Sarah T
The Game room is an excellent room. Almost 600 sqft , original wood paneling, great seating area,, fireplace and a big King bed. I always try third to give my guests a great welcome and to make sure they have everything they need for a wonderful stay. Thank you for your compliments and post. Hope you all will visit again soon.
sanford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent two nights at the Inn,and really enjoyed it. Mark is a great host and the Inn itself is beautiful. We'll definetly be back. The breakfasts were wonderful, we enjoyed the company of other visitors.The property is lovely as well. We hope to get back during the summer to really enjoy the beauty of the gardens. Dexter is a nice little town, the Inn is handy for walking to town or on the walikng trails that pass by the street.

Room Tip: The hideaway is just that, very restfull,great getaway room,loved the whirpool tub. The Truman room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SanfordMainer
The Hideaway is a great room. 1st floor at the back of the house. Very peaceful and relaxing. The Brewster Inn is all about peace, quiet and tranquility. That’s what you get when you stay here. Somewhere to come that’s comfortable and enjoyable. My gardens will have a couple of big additions this year. I now get people come and stay just to see them. Dexter is a great location for basing yourself for a few days to see as much of Maine as you can. It’s the centre of the State so everywhere is just a day trip. You can get to the coast or be in the wilderness of the Moosehead Lake and Mt Katahdin region of Maine in less than an hour. Thank you for coming to stay, hope you all will visit again! And thank you for your post.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dexter
Pittsfield Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Dover Foxcroft
Canaan Motel
Canaan Motel
#1 of 1 in Canaan

Been to The Brewster Inn? Share your experiences!