“Oakville, Ontario, Canada” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oakville, Canada
“Oakville, Ontario, Canada”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We felt fortunate to find the Brewster Inn at the last minute. Mark was the perfect host. I might had that this was our first time as B&B guests and will defintely not be the last. The accommodations were homey and the breakfasts were sumptuous, especially the orange stuffed french toast and the hash brown bake. Mark works hard to please his guests and does an excellent job. We entertained our friends in the large living room and they thought that was great. It was like being in your own home only more beautiful and elegant. A must stay in Dexter, Maine if you are ever in or near the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
BrewsterInn, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Marjorie – Nothing makes me prouder than to know first time B&B guests have chosen to be repeat B&B guests after a stay here at the Brewster Inn. I’m glad that you and your guests enjoyed time in the large living room. My hope is that all guests have that same homey experience with the food and public spaces here at the Inn. And that all guests leave feeling this is a “must stay” for their future and will recommend it as such to friends and family. Thanks for taking the time to post about your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Hi .My daughter (visiting me from Australia) and I were on a road trip to Nova Scotia when we stayed at the Brewster Inn the end of June this year.We remember your inn as cozy, the most wonderful beds we ever slept in and a lovely breakfast. It was obvious you went out of the way to give your guest the best, comfortable beds and a so clean place to sleep.
Its history was also interesting as it's a former governor of Maine 's huge, private home, even at one time had a phone in the basement which connected the governor to the White House in the years gone by. We found the innkeeper friendly and helpful ,welcoming while letting us have our privacy. Nice! It has large large rooms as well as our normal size room, some so big that a family could feel comfortable and the house itself has the spaciousness of by gone days. Definately one of the nices bed and breakfast/ inn We have stayed at.

Room Tip: Comfortable, clean, nice surroundings
BrewsterInn, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
The best sleep.. Thank you for that compliment and your post! I can personally say I agree with you about the bedding because I sleep on each and every bed at least once a year. I want guests to have the best possible night’s sleep they can. In the past year I have added new memory foam mattress tops and new pillows. It makes me smile when I’ve had guests tell me they brought their own pillows and then never used them after trying the new ones here. I’m so glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

As soon as we got to the inn we were greeted by a very cheerfull owner he was gracious to carry our bags for 16 people yes 16 also he did it without one complaint also he cooks a wonderfull breakfeast every morning I found the inn to also to be an amazing architectural design also comfortably furnished I also found his british humor amazing and his accent great if your in the dexter area I would definitely stop by the brewster.

• Stayed July 2012
BrewsterInn, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
The perfect Inn.. I take pride in carrying my guests’ luggage to their rooms. Its just one of many small things I try to do in order to make guests feel welcomed and appreciated. I’m glad to hear you all enjoyed the breakfasts. New recipes are constantly being added to give guests a delicious start to their day. Glad you all enjoyed the Inn and the humor. Thanks for posting your thoughts!
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I can truthfully say that this was the worst service I've ever received anywhere (and you'll see from my reviews that I have only ever had one bad experience somewhere). My friend & I made a reservation a month ahead of time for a road trip we were doing. We told the owner that we would be arriving late, likely 10 or 11pm, since we were driving from Toronto, Canada to Maine. He said this was okay but that we had to phone him. Well we did phone on our drive there which is when the owner, Mark, began being quite rude & unprofessional. Every time we called with an update of our location (a total of 3 times and out of country calls for us - $$$!!!!), he would sneak in numerous passive aggressive remarks about how he had to go to bed, and how he works so many hours and it's just him running the B&B. He continually insisted that we call him with our whereabouts - pretty demanding considering we told him what time we were arriving (which was just after 11). We needlessly sped through towns in terrible weather & fog because we were so stressed out by this angry owner who needed his sleep.

When we finally arrived, Mark was very short with us. He asked where we drove
From & made no comment and asked no questions about our 15 hour trip but instead told us how he needed to get to bed. After getting our bags in our room, he told us we have "90 seconds for any questions then I'm going to bed". Incredibly rude, but it gets better!

The next morning we ate breakfast which was ok but the sourness of our host just made us want to book it out of there ASAP. At breakfast, Mark then came & told us not to use websites like Expedia or hotels.com to book his b&b because they take 40% of the room rate, and that he's a small business owner working 7 days a week, etc etc. Great breakfast conversation.

Basically, if you want to be an angry outlet for a cranky host and be made to feel like everything is your fault, then this place will suit your needs. The only reason we stayed here was because it was too late to cancel & we couldn't afford to lose our $. We could tell by talking to him on the phone that this wasn't going to be a pleasant experience and we were right. Worst $120 I have ever spent - there are PLENTY of other b&b's, motels and hotels that will not leave you feeling stressed when you are on vacation!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank thriftynomads
, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
I am sorry you were so disappointed in your stay. I apologize that I wasn’t up for chit chat about your trip when you arrived around midnight. Yes, I was tired and sleepy and assumed you both were as well after driving so far. The 90 seconds was a bit of English humor (which obviously didn’t come across well).
I did ask you to call along your way as I do all my guests. This is not meant to be rude or controlling. I strive to make sure everything is perfect for my guests upon their arrival. Also, many guests rely on gps and unfortunately gps does not work well in this area. Just last night I had a couple trying to use gps and they ended up passing the Inn and going an extra hour. Once they called it was simple for me to give them easy to follow, and accurate, directions. The gps directions cost them an extra two hours in the car.
As for the discussion about expedia etc., another guest had been asking about which websites I get bookings from and any issues I had among the many sites. The last thing I’d ever want to do is offend a guest.
I work night and day to accommodate guests in every possible way so they have a wonderful experience and hopefully return sometime in the future. Again, I’m sorry you personally felt you had a bad experience. For that I do profusely apologize.
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Converted mansion of ex-governor and ex-senator from Maine. There aren't a lot of B&B's in central Maine, so this one sort of won by default as our choice to stay while in the Bangor area. I use the word 'area' loosely; it's a 45-minute jaunt to Bangor on a good day.... Room was clean and pleasant. This is an old house, so don't expect not to hear whoever is in the next room. Making this into a B&B was done at minimal expense and it shows; that doesn't mean that it's badly done; just that there hasn't been a major undertaking to make the place an extremely comfortable home away from home. The host is an Englishman who appears to be in overdrive every waking moment; nice enough fellow who just doesn't seem that well suited to run a B&B (we've done dozens). The property has a nice set of gardens that appear to still be in the process of restoration to their former glory and should be rather stunning when they're fully done. Over-all facility is pleasant but not spectacular. Plan on driving thirty miles to dinner.....No kidding; we only saw one restaurant in town and it looked pretty bad. We drove all the way to Pittsfield, Maine for dinner; ate at a place called 'Vittles'; basically a diner that serves dinner one night a week (Friday) and closes at 7:30PM.....Hey, this is central Maine, and they roll up the sidewalk by 8:00PM. Food was excellent and we would recommend this place despite the fact that our waitress was wearing a bathing suit and fuzzy bedroom slippers (you can't make this stuff up). Brewster Inn is okay when you factor in where it's located; just don't arrive hungry. Would we stay there again? Maybe.

Room Tip: Bring food or eat before you hit town and are too tired to drive anymore.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LochnessConnecticut
, Owner at The Brewster Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
I’m sorry for any disappointment you had in your stay and truly hope you will come back for another visit in the future.
There have been numerous changes to the Inn since I purchased it. And many more changes planned for the future. Everything I do is aimed at helping make the Inn as warm and inviting as possible. But, as you pointed out – it is a historic home and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Therefore, every change made must take that into consideration so the integrity of the home isn’t changed. Yes, you can hear other rooms at times. That’s true for most B&Bs, as they are usually a family home that’s been converted. People don’t build something with the intent to make it a B&B, that’s what hotels are for.
I do apologize if I offended you in anyway by my constant moving about. There is always something to be done each day and at times I must look like the energizer bunny- going and going and going. I can assure you that I’m 100% committed to this business and giving guests the best possible stay ever.
People are often shocked at how few restaurants there are in Dexter and how early all the stores close up. That’s why I always contact guests before their arrival to give them an update on what their dinner choices are before they get here.
I’m glad you appreciated the gardens. They are a constant work in progress, but after 5 years the gardeners are getting them closer and closer to their original glory. I hope you’ll come back to see them someday.
Bozeman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed in the Fern Room. It was very, very comfortable for the three of us (two adults and an 8-year old). Big bathroom and a murphy bed that our daughter loved! Super cozy. Our host, Mark, was extremely friendly and helpful...making sure his guests have their needs met during their stay is his #1 priority. Breakfasts were yummy. This B&B is environmentally friendly and it is obvious that running the Inn is a labor of love for the host. It is a place we will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality. Mark will help you if you call and tell him what you're look...
1 Thank Marilyn765
Greeneville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Recently we went to maine for a celebration of my Aunt & Uncles 50th Wedding Anniversary. We attempted to locate a nearby hotel in Newport ME, and the closest we could find was 25 miles in either direction. We then stumbled upon the Brewster Inn in Dexter ME. We called them and ended up having a wonderful conversation with the Owner Mark, who said he be delighted to have and had plenty of room. Having never stayed in a Bed & Breakfast before we weren't certain what to expect and were a little nervous when we arrived. Mark met us at the door and immediately help us with our bags. Right away Mark made us feel like part of his family and overall made the experience quite enjoyable. I'm not sure if all bed and breakfast are run like this, but because of the is experience I will certainly try one again. I will certainly return to the Brewster Inn in the future while visting relatives. The food and service was outstanding, and it sure beat staying in a regular motel or hotel which are so impersonal. So Thank You Mark and we look forward to staying with you in the future.

Tim & Kim Shaw of Tennessee

Room Tip: You will only feel more at home, when you are at your home.
1 Thank Timothy S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dexter
Pittsfield Motor Inn
Pittsfield Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Pittsfield
Abbot Trailside Lodging
Abbot Trailside Lodging
#1 of 2 in Abbot Village

Been to The Brewster Inn? Share your experiences!