“I'm not sure what the big deal is”
Review of Whale's Rib Tavern

Whale's Rib Tavern
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Deer Isle
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2013

The rustic atmosphere was nice with candles on the table; but the food was only average.

My wife and I were on the end run of northeast trip when my uncle took us to dinner here. We started dinner started with orders of muscles and oysters. They were much better than we get in our land-locked Midwest state. Because of the recommendation of my cousin, my wife and I both ordered the halibut. It was good, but just not much taste to it. The New England palette is so much more pastel than what I am accustom to.

Service was very good - our waitress kept up with our table quite well.

All in all it was okay. I would not go out of my way to eat here; but I might eat here if I was close.

1  Thank LarAndGin

Reviewed October 6, 2013

While staying at the Pilgrim's Inn, we had a reservation for late Sunday. It was packed! I found the food and wine selection was very good. It looks like it's a local fave, so if you're planning on going, definitly book ahead!

2  Thank Moll Y
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the Inn, which was generally fun, but one of the highlights was the Whale's Rib Tavern - excellent food prepared expertly in a warm, inviting setting. The service was also great and it was a decent value - highly recommended.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Came for dinner on a Monday when the have a limited menu. (They let us know when we made reservations that it was a limited menu, so there was no surprise). Good was not as good ad I had hoped it would be and was pretty expensive. My rib eye was dry and chewy, but my husband thoroughly enjoyed his fish. Would like to return on a full menu day.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Miserable experience and sub par food. Told by waitress our table was reserved for a second seating, so we must hurry! Entire meal was a rush to the finish. What a way to treat vacationing visitors. Waitstaff running around like chickens with heads cut off, embarrassing. Height of the summer, but seemingly inexperienced staff, hostess included who might have tipped us off about the time limits! Couldn't wait to leave. Anyone aware of food culture will be disappointed with food as well unfortunately. Identity crisis was clear: paper for tablecloths and waitstaff dress from a clam shack. Confusing and confused management.

3  Thank Betsey B