“A true stand-out!”
Review of Pilgrim's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer Isle
Pilgrim's Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Deer Isle B&B and Inns
Glen Rose, Texas
“A true stand-out!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

What a lovely, historic, authentic place. The building is so tastefully done - we loved the old floors and creaky stairs. And the grounds were wonderful - we spent a restful morning with our coffee sitting outdoors staring at the lake. Then insode for a sumptous bWe will definitely return. And the restaurant, The Whale's Rib, was fabulous. Such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at Pilgrtim's Inn & Cottages for two nights in September 2012. We stayed in a room on the second floor of the inn. We ate dinner twice at the inn. Our total visit to Deer Isle lasted nine nights. The inn has great ambiance that respects its heritage. One shouldn't go to an inn that dates back to the late 1700s and expect bathrooms and other modern facilities to be without the occasional quirk. That being said, our room was very comfortable and tastefully furnished; the facilities such as the bathroom were fine. Our room, facing the rear of the inn, was quiet. The staff, including the dining room and bar staff, were very friendly and helpful. We apprecited the little touches such as coffee placed in the hall each morning. The meals, including breakfast, were very good.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our stay at the Pilgrim's Inn and Cottages was wonderful. We stayed in one of the cottages and the decor was welcoming, pleasant and calming. The bed was comfortable and the amenities were top notch. The Inn is beautifully decorated, the setting is pristine, the food is consistent and well planned and prepared. I would highly recommend the Inn to anyone wanting a relaxing get away in a historical setting. Staff is helpful and eager to make your stay enjoyable without being intrusive. Hats off to the owners for attention to detail that make your business first rate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Elon, North Carolina
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Very nice innkeepers. Only negative is that the walls are very thin, which makes it a bit noisy if other guests stay up late talking loudly in the common rooms. Innkeepers need to make a notice reminding guests to talk softly after nine o'clock or so.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Pilgrim's Inn was the 3rd hotel of 5 on my recent hiking tour of coastal Maine. I only spent one night here so my experience is limited.

Pilgrim's Inn offers 12 rooms in the original historic (1793) building plus 3 cottages. The cottages have kitchenettes. The Pilgrim's Inn web site is very informative and describes each room and cottage in both text and photos so I won't repeat all of that here.

I was in room 7 of the original building, a 2nd floor room in the front of the building along Main Street with views of Northwest Harbor. Even though my room fronted the street, it was very quite at night and I slept very good the 1 night here. But is was after Labor Day and the summer crowds were gone, and I am hard of hearing. It probably also helped that I was exhausted from a near sleepless night in Camden the night before.

The bathroom was a little off-putting as it has a step up about half way inside the bathroom itself, something you don't see from the bathroom doorway and something I stubbed my toes on a couple of times until I learned better.

Also, the shower water pressure was low (old pipes, not doubt) and the temperature was hard to regulate when other demands were put on water in the building, which was pretty much all of the time during the 2 showers I took here.

My stay here was pretty hectic with a late afternoon arrival, a quick cleanup and dinner, and to bed, but the next morning I had more time to explore the common areas in the building, which aren't described very well on their web site. I actually could find no text or photos about them on the web site but maybe I missed them.

The common areas are important, as the rooms are pretty much for sleeping, cleaning up and changing clothes. There are 2 large comfortable common rooms on the front ground level of the building and another very large common room on the ground floor rear of the building, which is actually 1 level down from the front as the building is built into a hillside.

My room had no TV and I don't believe any of them do, but I saw 1 small TV in 1 of the front common rooms. The sleeping rooms in the main building do not have coffee makers, but fresh coffee is delivered to each floor by 7:00 each morning and the included breakfast is served in the main dining room from 8:00 to 9:30.

I had 1 dinner and 1 breakfast in the Whale’s Rib Tavern, which is open to the public for dinner. I did find the restaurant and adjacent bar area to be quite loud due in part to all the hard surfaces. And the opening to the kitchen area was hectic during dinner. But dinner was good and our table of 4 enjoyed our meals. Breakfast was much more relaxed and quiet as it was guests only. It didn't appear that lunch is served, but I was checked out and gone by then so I don't know for sure.

I really don't understand how Pilgrim's Inn is listed as #1 of 2 B&B's. It is not that it is bad. On the contrary, most reviewers rate it very good to excellent. But the other B&B, The Inn at Ferry Landing, has 14 reviews, all of which are rated excellent (5 out of a possible 5).

While Pilgrim's Inn has more reviews in total, they are mixed between excellent (44), very good (9), average (2) and poor (1), which clearly averages out to less than excellent overall.

In any event, based on my extensive hotel, motel and B&B experiences, I only rate Pilgrim's Inn as average (3 out of a possible 5). It was OK, but not great in my opinion. I don't think, however, that I would want to be in small Deer Isle during the busy summer season.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you, make sure you get a room on the back side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AustinWhitewater
New York City
Reviewed September 12, 2012

If you want peace and quiet in Maine, Deer Isle is a great place. And The Pilgrim's Inn is the best hotel/Inn there. It is very comfortable, a full cooked breakfast is part of the price, and there is also a very good restaurant. The prices are the highest on the island, but nothing out of the ordinary for the kind of service the guests receive. The owners, Tina and Tony, are very kind and accessible. Deer Isle is a great mix of outdoors (renting kayaks or taking tours from Old Quarry Adventures to Isle au Haut or Marshall's Island) and galleries. There is an arts and craft school, Haystack, on the island and many of the graduates stay, so lots of gallery spaces. If you're there on Labor Day, there's the Blue Hill Fair in Blue Hill (where Charlotte's Web is set). Acadia is 90 minutes away by car, although Isle au Haut, 45 minutes by boat, is also part of the park.

The rooms vary in size. We like #2, but it is above the restaurant, so some might not like the (minor) noise. Being from Manhattan it didn't bother us. Other rooms are are higher floors, and some face the pretty view of the inlet.

Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a wonderful place. The whole property is beautifully set, overlooking a back cove, with lovely grounds. The old inn building is wonderfully preserved, handsomely furnished, and immaculate. All that is context for great rooms, beds, food and service. Go there.

Room Tip: We only saw 2 rooms -- #1 and #2. Terrific.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Northport
Asticou Inn
Asticou Inn
#1 of 2 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Pilgrim's Inn? Share your experiences!