“what a wonderful weekend!”
Review of Rideout's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Danforth
Rideout's Lodge
Stafford, CT
“what a wonderful weekend!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We found Rideouts not because we fish but because we ATV. It was a perfect location along the MANY miles on contecting trails in the area. It was wonderful because we did not have to trailer our quads at all, the whole weekend which was a real plus.
We had a 4 bedroom cabin with a screened in porch with lakeview. The cabin was spotless with the basic amenities. There wasn't a TV, which was the best, since my husband & sons spent many hours playing RISK and bonding. I enjoyed watching them.
The lake is beautiful for swimming and they say the fishing is good too! We were lucky enough to see a bald eagle.
Jim and crew were wonderful too, very helpful.
We hope to visit again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Rideout lodge is a perfect place to enjoy and explore the lake, to fish and also to just enjoy a few peaceful days away from everything. It is rather rustic, but it offers all you need and even more, a wonderful host, Dick, always there, always helpful. Early morning there is good coffee waiting to wake you up, take a seat in a chair and enjoy the wonderful view over the lake. I was very sorry to leave this little paradise and I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rent a boat and explore the lake, where you find hidden beaches and quiet coves just for you. You ca...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is my second year coming to Rideout's for a week-long vacation and I've stayed in the same cabin twice so, that's where I'll focus the majority of my review.

The location of the campground itself is idyllic, serene, and rustic - about 40 minutes to the closest grocery store (in Houlton), and it's easy to spot off of Rt. 1 - just look for the illuminated sign for a vacation bible conference and a convenience/variety store.

All of the cabins sit right on Grand Lake which is always beautiful no matter what the weather. I stayed in cabin #182 (aka Cyr cabin). #182 is large and spacious - sleeps 6 comfortably (with one person on the sofa - word to the wise, do not even attempt to sleep on the sofa bed) but it was definitely built for people shorter than 5'5". The ceilings are low and the bathroom - especially the shower - is very cramped.

The kitchen is equipped with an updated gas stove and oven, toaster and coffee maker; an outdated refrigerator and microwave. There is ample storage by way of closets and cabinets. Most of the kitchen essentials are provided except for the small details like measuring spoons, etc.

There is a nice dock attached to #182 for boating and sunbathing. There are neighbors on both sides but there is adequate privacy thanks to trees and the boat house. However, voices do carry so, don't be surprised if you're sitting outside the screened in sun-porch at night and can hear your neighbors' conversations as clear as day. Just remember, this means they can hear you, too.

Cabin #182 is plumbed with lake water and so we had to bring a 5 gallon jug with us to the main lodge in order to fill up on drinkable water. It really wasn't an inconvenience at all but something worth mentioning. Also to note - the parking at the cabin - is on an incline but can easily accommodate up to 3 mid-sized cars.

The staff was knowledgeable and thorough in regards to boating and fishing needs. They provide licencing and fishing equipment on site. Half of the cabins are under new management and we weren't able to pay the lodging fees with a credit card - we had to pay with cash or check. We could rent kayaks/boats/canoes with plastic and they had an OK selection to choose from.

The general atmosphere was nice - ample stargazing at night provided there are clear skies. There is hardly any auto traffic within ear shot, hardly any water traffic, too, for that matter. It was wonderful to be able to sit out and listen to the loons call at night. However, bring ample bug spray - last year the mosquitoes weren't so bad but this year we were eaten alive.

All in all, I will still keep coming to Rideout's each year for a week of vacation and I would recommend Rideout's to friends and family. The best value for the cabin is to divide it amongst 6 people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jzamostny
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Rideouts Lodge and the staff are great,very accommodating and knowledgeable about the lake and the fishing.If you are looking for great fishing,great clean cabins on the water than this is the place for you.You will not find any place better than this place.We have been coming up here for years and when we leave we can not wait to come back.We wouldn't even consider going any where else.The fishing is superb with monster salmon and bass to be caught.The lake I would have to say is the most beautiful,most peaceful,picturesque place on earth.What could be any better than watching the eagles and birds fly and catching more fish than you will know what to do with.Than back to a cabin on the water to relax.........PURE HEAVEN....Anyone looking for the best fishing and accommodations needs to go to Rideouts.It will be the vacation of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Get a cabin on the water it so much better
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
philadelphia pa
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Our third trip in the last 5 year to to Rideouts was again outstanding. The cabin was in great condition, the rental boats well maintained, and the fishing was fine. We cose the housekeeping plan and stayed at one of the cabins down the road from the main camp. With this you have your own dock where you you may keep your rental boat 24/7 if renting multiple days.

The lake is pristene, huge, and great to explore the many beaches for an afternoon of swimming and picnicking.

For the fisherman, I suggest you purchase a New Brunswick fishing license (sold at the lodge) which opens up more opportunities if the bass are a bit fickle. Also, you will pretty much have the lake to yourself on the weekdays so no worries about over crwding and such.

Tis a long 12 hour 700 mile drive for us to reach Danforth, but well worth it!

I

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Richmond
Reviewed June 25, 2010

This is the best vacation we had taken in ages! We went for 3 years in a row and Though my kids are in college now we talk of the grand times on Grand East Lake!! They would canoe and run cross country...training for H.S. team...the kids would swim in the chilly crystal clear water...my husband and I would walk...all fished, read on the porch, explored and napped...meals in the Lodge are excellent...I still make Rideout's Salad dressing to this day, they were always glad to share recipes...game night every night...go out on the rented boat...listen to the loons at night and gaze at the stars...best cup of coffee in the morning watching the sun rise...Bob and Jami are the best...hoping to go back this August

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank pepperjelly
NEW HAVEN, CT
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I love this place !!!!!!!! It has everything.The fishing is outstanding.You can sight see,hike,bike or go to the local antique shops.There is town near by.You can go into Canada and hit the logging trails ,lots of wildlife.I had gone to this lake as a kid for about 18 years. I had gone back up a couple of years ago and have gone back almost every year since.I am currently making plans to head up this spring to hit up the salmon fishing as well as my anual trek in July.The place is family owned and family orientated.It's clean and friendly,they also have house cleaning and home cooked meals available.The cabins are reasonably priced and are nestled in a quite cove.The water is crystal clear. You can rent boats to fish and enjoy the lake or fish right of the dock,it's huge.At night the stars seem to be right on top of you. You can hear the loons sing
I could go on and on....If you want to ask me about anything up there.....e-mail me..
Ask for Bob up there.He is a great guy and will help you any way he can,he is just that kind of man.
By the way I live in CT and my Dad lives in FL he drove all the way from the Keys with his boat to Rideouts with me....It's just that good.
Dave D.
ctdorsa@yahoo.com

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank gipsiesoul203

Been to Rideout's Lodge? Share your experiences!