See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 24, 2018

This is the most awful complex! The first two nights we planned to spend in the chalet, and the next 6 nights in the hotel room. On the first day, when we arrived, we got keys half an hour later than the official check-in hour. Ok, we waited. They gave us the keys, but in the chalet we could get only after an hour and a half, because we had to go to the reception again, which was 2 km from the chalet, and also explain to the sleepy boy at the reception that we cann't open the door. After much persuasion to help us, he deigned to make a call and send to the chalet a man who, at the opening of the door, did some tricky actions: propped the door, scrolled the key in the lock, then pushed it against the door, then pressed the key for a half a turn. And only after that the door opened!
And also, it found out that bed linen in the chalet is available for an extra fee. We took it, but it stank !!! I had to wash it! We could not go to bed for a long time, because the the bed linen were had been washing and drying.
When we went into the chalet, there was a terrible smell, like the smell of rotten food and dirty dishes. It's horrible. The smell came from the kitchen table, the carpet, the stove, the dishes. It was stank so that I can hardly describe words. We washed all, so we made full cleaning! In the end, despite the check-in supposed at 16.00, we were able to relax only at 23.00. The next day, we left for affairs, and when we arrived in the evening, we found a very cold house, hot water turned off and a non-functioning water heater (so, heating didn't work and the water didn't work)!!! It was at 20.00. We went to the reception, where a sleepy boy came out again, who said that we had no problems. We asked for a long time to solve the problem, but he was standing and saying nothing, did nothing. After some time of our requests, he deigned to call someone. He called for 15 minutes, but he didn't get through. Then he and several of his co-workers told us that they didn't have people and equipment for solve this problem. And in general, they blamed us, didn't tried to help us and that this is our fault and we are to blame because we broke down it. Awesome customer orientation! We left without solving the problem. We tried to repair it, but we couldn't. After a few of my calls a man came to our chalet, who introduced as a major manager #HotelliSuomutunturi. He was sitting with us in the house until 00.30. And every half hour he was saying that the water appear soon. At the same time, he was doing nothing for this. In the process, it seemed to him that the water appeared and he began to joke. He was talking very rude and impudent, as with a complete nonentity. He offered that we move to the hotel room, but hotel room was much cheaper than chalet. In the end, being in the chalet, we didn't rest at all, we were solving the problems only! And the problems is only this hotel. Naturally, the hotel's management didnэt care about us. They refused to return the money, they refused give us an extra day at the chalet, the problem was not solved. All their actions showed that the hotel's guests for them are just a bag of money that can live in unbearable conditions for a lot of money. I think that this hotel doesn't must have a place on #bookingcom. The hotel #HotelliSuomutunturi shouldn't receive guests. People like this manager shouldn't communicate with people. The management and the staff of the hotel #HotelliSuomutunturi are notorious swindlers who simply collect money from tourists. Of course, after these adventures in the chalet, we didn't planed to stay in the hotel. In the end, we checked-in there, but we didn't stay there and went to another normal cottage. Unfortunately, #bookingcom didn't react to our claims in any way and we are lost our money. Unfortunately, no one will return the time and nerves to us, but I would hope that #bookingcom will pay attention to this #HotelliSuomutunturi and this situation, and also take serious measures. Now I'll tell in general about this complex: the hotel #HotelliSuomutunturi is orientated towards Asians. There are a lot of Chinese people, whose are resting in #HotelliSuomutunturi. They are arrive on big buses several times a day, so the level of service is appropriate. The chalet in which we tried to live accommodates for 8 people, but there is only one shower! In the chalet there is very dirty, so there is hardly ever cleaned up at all, all the rags stink, they all wip with these dirty rags. So everything: furniture, kitchen, stove, shelves - everything stinks. From the carpet something incredible smells, as if something was spilled. Dust and dirt are everywhere! Washing machine - from the last century, it works very strange. Hot water doesn't heat up enough, it's a bit warm. They have water heating, so when you heat the floors - there isn't hot water in the tap, but if you turn off the floors, then there is a chance to wash with water a little warm. At the reception, the Chinese are work. The hotel's manager is a very rude and unpleasant person. The slope is terrible, all old and not well-groomed, a lot of accidents on the slope due to poor organization of space. The entire territory is made very poorly, a dilapidated building, not a ennobled territory. In general, disgusting place. I don't advise to consider this ski resort, for skiing, for living.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1maxli
Reviewed January 2, 2017

Not sure how I came by this place (first time in Finland), but it’s a fascinating location, only 80Km from Russia. The journey from Kittilä took 3 hours in a taksi and cost €250 (one way). There is no public transport, so renting a car is a sensible alternative for a family. Ari, my taksi driver, told me there are many reindeer, he also said that every home and hotel in Finland has a sauna. The road was covered in ice and there were frequent snow flurries as we travelled at 100km/hour. I remembered that all the world’s great rally drivers are Finns and thought often of the Olympic sailing class (the ‘Flying Finn’). It felt safe, but exciting.

We tried to listen to some Finnish music but it sounded rather dull, so we switched to Dire Straits and the Rolling Stones, whom he had first heard in concert in 1967. He has seen 14 Stones’ concerts in total. We passed through a couple of small villages, the rest of the time it was just trees, snow and ice. Christmassy log cabins in the woods looked very cosy. The last place we drove through was Kemijärvi, some 45km from Suomutunturi and a town of 9,000, it looked tiny. But then, Finland is a country of 6 million, much the same as New Zealand. Kemijärvi is situated on the Kemitoki River which, at 400km is the longest river in Finland. It flows to Kemi, on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia, which separates Finland and Sweden. At Kemijärvi, I couldn’t help think this was a lake, it’s miles wide, though somewhat indistinct as a frozen wasteland in the half-light. At Christmas time there are only a few hours and the sun does not break the horizon.

Located so close to Russia, it is clear the bear is nearby. I met Russians, British, Italians, Germans and French. Nevertheless, Lapland and northern Finland speak Lappish or Finnish, whilst southern Finland might also speak Swedish. The clients at the hotel and ski resort are a mixture of old, young, couples and families with children. The hotel Suomutunturi caters well for all. I was a solo traveller, but the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

It seems at New Year there is light for about 4 hours a day, here at the Arctic Circle, though the sun does not break the horizon until mid-January (after I leave!). I guess there will be a big celebration here then.
We arrived at about 4pm, by which time it was dark and cold. (-10 degrees C). The entrance was round the back of the hotel, next to the ski slopes. I was puzzled by this, but soon realised that something wasn’t quite right. In October 2015, the hotel all but burned down, I think the fire had started in the sauna. It seemed as though the wooden features had been easily consumed in the incident. The result is that the hotel has only recently re-opened, with a reduced restaurant and bar capacity; the staff worked exceptionally hard to make sure everyone was comfortable and enjoyed their stay. I asked where the town was and was told: ‘there is no town’. There was, however, a very good sauna on the other side of the lake (10 minute walk).

The room is big and warm, with modern décor. I have a ‘disabled’ bathroom, which means the sink is rather low, but otherwise, the heated floor and large desk and TV all work well. The bed is comfortable and I am sleeping much more than usual, including for part of the afternoon. It is strange, being in the dark for so many hours, with few distractions. Mealtimes take on added significance and I am not eating lunch, so breakfast is a grand affair. Fresh fruit and vegetables (in fact many food groups) initially seemed hard to come by. Yesterday I had those funny little Swedish meatballs like you get in Ikea, together with some berries and a fresh bread roll and boiled egg (and an apple). Today, I had prawn cocktail on rye toast with lettuce, tomato and gherkin. I noticed there had been a salmon, but having got up late, it was all gone. Later in the week, particularly at the New Year's party, the smorgasbord and other foods were outstanding.

I should describe the menu, which was open to some misunderstanding, since the pictures are non-descript and the titles in Finnish. There are basically four things on the à la carte menu: burger and chips, salmon, reindeer and chicken with goat’s cheese. I had beautiful salmon the first night, with baked potato, two sprigs of fried broccoli and cream cheese. Last night I had chicken and grilled goat’s cheese, with baked potato, broccoli (and carrots). Tonight, I am hoping to report reindeer goulash…YES! It is delicious and quite unlike venison, or anything else I’ve ever eaten. It came with a very rich potato purée, and two small pickled gherkins. It was high energy and power-packed.
The desserts are also interesting: cheesecake the first night, and some grilled reindeer cheese last night, which tasted like sweet haloumi. The reindeer cheese is a firm favourite.

Someone has a small dog on my corridor in the hotel… it is making its presence felt, with regular barking sessions. Small children can be heard in the distance, too. But these doors, walls and windows are built for the Arctic cold. They are sound proof and I find myself sleeping ridiculously long hours, something I don’t feel the least guilty about.

The downhill runs are red and not particularly challenging, however there is a large staff maintaining the property and the resort. The snow has been good throughout. I gather the best time for skiing is late February, though I was quite happy with the empty lifts (T-bar). I also was reintroduced to Nordic skiing, with some good 'loipes' nearby. I found the calm and quiet to be exactly what I needed. Surely this is what a holiday is supposed to be for? In this respect, it suits my needs perfectly. Yes, I will want to come back to Finland, perhaps also to see some reindeer and the midnight sun. I haven’t seen the aurora here, either, but there will be another time. If you are looking for a town, or night life, then don't come here, but I wasn't. I loved it. Thank you to all the staff, who are working exceptionally hard to build it up to its full potential. I thoroughly recommend Hotel Suomutunturi.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled solo
3  Thank patrickrtr
Reviewed March 23, 2016

Hotel rooms are very tidy and relatively new with modern interior. Slopes are right nextdoor to the hotel, so location for skiing-enthusiasts is impeccable.

Location of Suomu is not central with nearest grocery store, gas station etc located some 45 kilometers away in Kemijärvi centre.

The hotel has suffered a fire in 2015 and therefore the spa and sauna were off use. This was not mentioned at the web pages (instead it stated that there is a spa!). This type of information should absolutely be correct at the internet pages. Renovation of the spa and sauna will be finished in 2016 so for next season this is a thing from the past.

Food service was restricted, short list, but really ok choice with prices between 15-20 eur dishes. In the middle of our stay, suddenly the a'la carte list was pulled off and replaced by a dinner buffet at 25 eur/adult and 12,50 eur/kid. Checked the contents of the buffet and realized it was like a normal lunch buffet and should be priced around 15 eur instead of 25. This change was not mentioned to us in any way in advance and was thus an unpleasant surprise. If this place was located in a city, it would not have made me annoyed, as then there would be other restaurants to choose from, but this hotel is located 45 kilometers from the nearest restaurant so there was not much choice. I have to admit, this really left a bitter taste of the whole stay. What a pity, really!

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank kerttuh2018
Suomu, Johtaja at Hotel Suomutunturi, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2016

Thank you very much for your feedback.
We make some mistakes last winter.
We change things better as soon as possible.
I wish you welcome again

Reviewed March 11, 2016

We visited first time ever in Suomu. We lived in Hotelli Suomutunturi's cottages which are about 1,5km from hotel.

Cottage was very good and "like a new". Location is okay, skiing and snowmobile routes are very near but to the slopes is about 1,5 km.

In cottages there was very good beds, nice terrace and very beautiful interior.
Suomu is silent place and there is not very much services. But slopes are excellent. Please build one chair lift and this is our choice every year.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
We still dreaming on chairlift...

I wish you welcome again!

Reviewed February 24, 2016 via mobile

Slopes among the best in Finland. Very good profiles for all type skiers and very well protected from wind. Great snow also outside the slopes. Good x country skiing too. Certainly worth the visit even though restaurants and hotel under construction due to fire last fall

Stayed: February 2016, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your positeve feedback.
It is amazing that our slope is without wind and same time other ski resort must close the lifts.

I wish you welcome again