“Peaceful retreat”

Sahaja Sawah Resort
Warsaw
“Peaceful retreat”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful place amongst ricefields, on the river, within 30 min walk to a secluded beach. You can see and hear the ocean from the balcony, while watching bats at night. Night frog chorus is unforgettable. Hospitality here is outstanding, everyone so keen to help and make your stay comfortable and interesting. Putu has taken us to his home to show us how he lives, we met his Dad and saw a typical Balinese household. Sahaja & Sawa is quite far from the madness of Kuta beach and touristy Ubud but worth the journey on a challenging bumpy road.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Turnhout
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Its not my first time i stayed here, more like the 10th time by now, March 14 i will go back again ;-) This place really ticks all the boxes. Relaxation, luxury in a beautiful setting, still the real Bali between the locals and ricefields. Food and staff are great, a real treat. If you like hiking or cycling it,s the place for all of this. 3 types of "HOUSES" not just plain Hotelrooms. If you want peace and total luxery don,t hesitate, just try it. Thx Josephine and staff for familyfeeling you all give.

Room Tip: If you like to be close to the main pool take the sawah,s or Sahaja,s. If you like peace and nature...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarelTurnhout
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A really beautiful property surrounded by rice fields, an unobstructed view of the land extending to the sea for as far as your eye can see. Josephine and the rest of the team (there's Guna, Ayu, Batu and a few more familiar faces you will see on a daily basis) are wonderful people. This isn't a property managed by the likes of a Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons or Hyatt but that's the novelty of this place. The staff are genuine and the hospitality is not one that's inculcated through rigorous training but by the culture of Bali.

We changed villas twice from an Idah to a Sawah and another Sawah but it was upon our request and the team were extremely accommodating. I even made a request for an item outside of the menu and Josephine and Batu were ingenious in creating something similar.

I highly recommend the seafood bbq by the pool, as the sky darkens, you get a great view of the changing colours of the sunset and then a great display of stars, which a rare sight in the city. Although you may share the space with some ants, they don't bite nor crawl over you if you have insect repellant on your feet.

Food-wise, I would recommend most of the local dishes prepared by the kitchen and try the mocktails.

The massage was good but not bone-melting great. But I still went everyday for a massage, just to try everything on the menu.

Lastly, if you're going to visit Sahaja and Sawah, I hope you keep in mind that this is a retreat/escape where live slows down and give you time to appreciate what you have, count your blessings and take time to talk to people or do things you would not do in your daily life in the city. If you're going to be impatient, rude and demanding despite being in a tranquil environment surrounded by smiling faces, please head to a resort managed by a hotel management.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank coyshy
Josephine S, Manager at Sahaja Sawah Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Ms. Coyshy,

Many thanks for your review and for having chosen Sahaja Sawah for your recent visit to our beautiful destination of Bali. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our provided services. We appreciate your nice comments and have shared them with the entire team and we believe your comments will strive them to continuously improve the quality of our service, as our endeavor as a team here, is to consistently present nothing less than an unforgettable and unique experience to all our valued guests.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to see you again when you next visit Bali – “Island of the Gods”

Jakarta
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've stayed here on my short holiday. It's a lovely place for relaxing. Quiet and peaceful. They have a nice pool, and good foods. I did enjoy the good massage there. You can walking in about 15 minutes to reach the beach near this place, passing the rice field. I will be back to this place again for sure. I do recommend this nice place to be one of few options of peaceful places in Bali. This place is good for group like gathering event of company, because it will be more like private event. One more thing is the management and people who work in here are very nice and helpful. And don't forget to try the coconut juice :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Boelan
Josephine S, Manager at Sahaja Sawah Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Ms. Boelan,

Many thanks for your review and for having chosen Sahaja Sawah on your short holiday. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and our service.

We have passed your comments to the team, and we believe your comments will strive them to continuously improve the quality of our service, as our endeavor as a team here, is to consistently present nothing less than an unforgettable and unique experience to all our valued guests.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sahaja Sawah Villa Retreat & Spa.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Let me start out by saying, we absolutely LOVED this place so much we stayed for an entire month!! Just to get this out of the way-- If you happened to read the truly UNBELIEVABLE horrible review left previously...we are the family that was referred to with the children staying in the hotel. Let's just say that if my two young happy girls were not looking so happy it would be because our loving tranquil setting had been disturbed by yelling and screaming from this couple. So if you are looking for a loud environment to mask your arguing in--then this is not your place. If you are looking to escape and just "get-away" from all of life's "noise" Sahaja Sawah is your place. Soooo tranquil, soooo beautiful, soooo peaceful--even after one month we did not want to leave.
Josephine and all of the staff were incredible and went above and beyond to make certain our stay was perfect! And it was!! Walking to the beach through the local village was an inspiration to humanity.... genuine smiles and waves from everyone. Truly happy people. As for the comment about the bugs...again, Do I need to mention that we stayed for an entire month. We stayed in one of the villas that had an outdoor living room... We were amazed out how clean and maintained everything was for being outdoors all the time. Yes, there was an ant or beetle that occasionally walked by-but no different than when we rented a private outdoor cabana at the Four Seasons Pool. There were no termites.
I feel it is also important to note that we are on a one year trip around the world. Needless to say we are very well traveled and could've stayed anywhere in Bali at any rate-but this was by far what we were looking for. Absolutely incredible value and quality!! It is very remote--so if you are looking to spend more time shopping than relaxing this might not be for you. But if relaxation, quite private poolside reading, regular massages and fresh coconut juice served daily is what you are looking for THIS IS YOUR PLACE!! : )

Room Tip: There are both indoor and outdoor villas offered with private swimming pools.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Sonya P
Josephine S, Manager at Sahaja Sawah Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Mrs. Sonya Powell,

Many thanks for your review and for having chosen Sahaja Sawah for your recent visit to our beautiful destination of Bali. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and our service during a month with us, our team is truly delighted to read your comments.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday "around the world"

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Sahaja Sawah Villa Retreat & Spa next year.

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a truly memorable stay at Sahaja & Sawah because it was very similar to being in a live bad horror movie. I thought it was close to Tanah Lot temple as it appears that way on the map so we planned on ending there after a day of sightseeing - unfortunately it took over an hour from Tanah on some very bad roads and if we didn't have a driver I would have personally given up long before reaching the place. Be forewarned that it is located in the middle of nowhere and unless you have a car you are going to be stuck there.

The manager, Josephine, was very nice and had offered us an upgrade to a villa when I booked but we were told we would need to wait in one bedroom b/c the other bedroom was "being cleaned" - which was odd considering it was 8:30 pm and we said we would be arriving at 8 pm. After about 20 minutes of waiting and lot's of back and forth activity in the other bedroom I finally walked over and noticed a bunch of dead termites in the bedroom entry - this was the start of our very own bug horror movie. I then noticed the small piles of dead termites and a stream of live termites coming from the bathroom door - which I attempted to enter but it was locked - I still shudder to think what I would have found behind that door given all the termites coming from underneath it.

Just then Josephine came back and my wife and I pointed out all the termites - she pretended to be surprised despite going in and out of the bedroom a few times and she was clearly dealing with the cleaning people who were trying to kill the pests and sweep up (and one of whom said the termites were no problem because the were only attracted by the light - which was accurate because the few lights that were on had mini-swarms of termites). She did admit they had a terrible bug problem at the property because of the proximity of the rice fields, although we stayed in Ubud for two nights in a villa situated in the middle of a rice paddy and didn't have any bug problems.

She offered to move us to another villa but then added that it needed to be cleaned and that the cleaning people had gone home for the night - which was fine because frankly we were pretty freaked out about the villas at that point. It did seem odd though because we only saw one other family (I didn't speak to them but the kids looked quite miserable) the next day so perhaps the other villas have bug infestations also?

Anyway we transferred to the townhouses and Josephine pointed out that we would essentially have a private pool because we were the only guests staying in the 12 units so the main pool would be deserted. We had a quick, awful dinner which started with very burned bruschetta and headed over to the townhouse to sleep. The place itself was pretty nice but it also had plenty of bugs around including mosquitos, ants, and other flying pests. My wife insisted that a huge bug was living in one of the decorative plants, and that when she approached it jumped inside the pot, so I quickly put that outside. It really did feel like we were living at the Bates bug motel. The next day I discovered why the townhouse had so many insects - it was because the downstairs bathroom window was open and it couldn't actually close because the wood was too warped. We had a quick, awful breakfast which consisted of poached eggs that had gone bad (sour taste and smell).

I called our driver to see if he would pick us up but he wouldn't do it for any price because it took him 2 hours to get back to Sanur the night before so we had to get an over-priced ride from the hotel. We were so happy to get out of there and felt immediately better once we left. The whole experience was so incredibly creepy (and not just the bugs) that I really can't fathom how or why people would give the property a five-star rating and I just can't figure out why they built it where they did (so far away from any tourist attractions, 2 km away from the beach, away from any other restaurants/supermarkets, yet next to the jungle and rice paddies which is just asking for trouble). On a positive note - if you loved the movies Mothra or Mysterious Island (with giant bugs) and Psycho (featuring the secluded and creepy Bates motel) and want to experience that yourself then by all means try it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt F
Josephine S, Manager at Sahaja Sawah Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Matt,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your valuable comments in tripadvisor.com. We value your opinion and feedback as it helps us to improve our standards and services.

It is of sincere concern to us that you've voiced how your expectations were not meet on this occasion, as our endeavor as a team here, is to consistently present nothing less than an unforgettable and unique experience to all our valued guests.
I regret any inconvenience this has caused you and have noted your concerns for future review.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

After being in the busier area of Bali and going around from one place to another to do sight-seeing, Sahaja & Sawah was the best place to relax and just unwind.

Being located in what I'd like to call "practically middle of nowhere" was just great. Waking up being surrounded by paddy fields and the gorgeous pool looking "oh so inviting!" was such a welcoming sight. It was just great to relax and unwind away from all the hustle and bustle of Bali. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first part of my trip immensely but this place was such a gem to chill and relax. :)

The staff there were brilliant and not forgetting, Josephine, the manageress. She was a god sent to me (there is a backstory to this but it's quite personal). All I'll say is - I was faced with a personal tragedy while I was there and she went above and beyond to help me.

Josephine, thank you very much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lil_miss_maniac
Dear Ms. lil_miss_maniac,

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and our service, our team is truly delighted to read your comments.

We will be honour to welcoming you again as our guest on your next trip to Bali.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tegal Mengkeb
#1 of 14 in Tabanan
Gajah Mina Beach Resort
Gajah Mina Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Selemadeg

Been to Sahaja Sawah Resort? Share your experiences!