“Fantastic find”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Fantastic find”
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We found one of the best fresh salads we have had here in the USA, as well as great chowder and sandwiches. The dessert cheesecake was excellent. Accomodating staff and charming decor made for a great stop for lunch after going along the Pemaquid Peninsula.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food! Great service!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My kids are very picky eaters. It is very hard to find a restaurant that will please both of them and my husband. Whenever we ask the kids where they would like to eat they unanimously agree on salt bay. My daughter eats nothing but macaroni and cheese and I find it hard to have to pay for Kraft macaroni and cheese at other restaurants. The macaroni and cheese here is homemade and she eats all of it! It comes with a vegetable or fruit as well which makes me a happy mama! The portions are huge so my husband and I always split an appetizer and a entree and leave very full. Whenever we have out of town guests we go here. If you can't find anything on this large breakfast, lunch, dinner and vegetarian menu I can't imagine. I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone. To top it off the service is always a+!!

1 Thank Pipper789
Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Would go back and do go back all the time!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I eat here all the time and love the variety! Always changing the menu, running different specials and trying new things. Last meal I had there was the pecan salmon with peach chutney (my stand by) loved it! Kate, linda, jess and peanut always take good care of me. Peanut is the live entertainment at lunch! (Salt ole mainer with a flare;))

“Frozen Swanson Dinners Taste Better”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were a party of four and none of us liked the food. Tasteless salmon, haddock and burger dishes. Vegetarian dish was supposed to be a char grilled vegetable plate but was actually skimpy,smashed vegetables from a jar saturated in vinegar. I paid $14.99 for that when I could have went over to the dollar store and bought the same red peppers in a jar. Portions are tiny and please don't ask for extra bread for the table because they will charge you. This was one of the worst places I ever ate in on the entire eastern seaboard and on top of that, it's a rip off!

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank bunnikat
Boston, Massachusetts
“One Bad Apple”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Have been eating at SBC 2 or 3 times every summer for the past 4 years. Always had a good experience. Menu choices for allergy folks or vegan/vegetarian get respected and treated right.

So what happened? The facts:
FOOD
-appetizers; fine
-entrees; delayed one hour after finishing appetizers. Arrived re-heated, perhaps twice. Texture and taste of poor airline food.
> Bison burger: dry, reheated, bland.
> Hand cut french fries; even soggy and tired, these taste pretty good. Would have liked them to be fresh from the fryer instead of warmed in the microwave.
> Blackened Haddock (a special of the day); also dried out and sad.
> Kids fish and chips- as above, reheated fried food just doesn't cut it. The side was a few sprigs of dried out broccoli, the kind that is tough on the outside and just mush on the inside. Left un-eaten. So much for the healthy side!
> The other entrees were stew type items. No comment on flavor. The experience was so bad at this point that we didn't really taste the food

SERVICE
> abrupt, false-friendly, harried. After appetizers arrived, were eaten, and cleared away, the chef mysteriously arrived at our table with another plate of fried mushrooms. A mistaken double order he explained to us, as he muttered about our waitress and stormed back into the kitchen. This kind of stressed behavior was the story of the night for the entire staff in the restaurant last night. Chaos. There was no flow in that dining room. It was a school cafeteria.

The craziest part, after we poked at our dried out entrees and headed for the door, was the waitress following me out and arguing that because we had ordered appetizers, our main course was naturally slow to come out.

Very strange, unpleasant night. Ruined family outing. Lack of professionalism all around. Hostile waitress, cardboard food.

We may go back, because we have had so many good meals there in the past. But watch out for the evening wait staff.

• Visited August 2012