“have a picnic with their take out and perhaps your own sauces”

Best Thai Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 31 Restaurants in Damariscotta
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Durham, New Hampshire
“have a picnic with their take out and perhaps your own sauces”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

I organized a picnic for two friends last evening before a chamber music concert at Round Top farm. I ordered ahead: fried wonton, thai salad with peanut sauce and ginger crispy duck. It was more than enough for three and tasty. As noted by others, the sauces offered were sweet. So I suggest going to Rising Tide Coop grocery and buying a bottle of Uncle Han's dipping sauce (soy sauce based) and a bottle of Siracha sauce and perhaps a bottle of Death by Mustard chinese sauce and you will have all you need.

It was a Tuesday but the dining room and patio were full of seemingly happy customers. And one table held a swami-like person with robed and turbanned associates and civilians. Wish I knew what that was all about.

• Visited August 2014

Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Meh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We really wanted to like this place, because it came so highly recommended by reviewers.
Meh.
A lot of Thai food has a pinch of sugar in it. This had way more than that.
The sauces and dips are so filled with cornstarch, it feels like Chinese restaurants in the 60's.
Spring rolls are fresh but dry. There were no non-sweet sauces available for them, so we asked for oyster sauce and were given a teeny tiny saucer full.
Tom Yum soup was sweet.
Pad Thai was full of cornstarch, with tasteless shrimp. My companion asked for five star hot, explaining he'd lived in Thailand for many years, and was given one star at best.
Larb Gai was covered in a lime sauce with a lot of sugar in it - easily half a cup of sauce, so it sat drenched and soaking. Bits of lettuce were mixed in and quickly became soggy. I finally poured it off into my empty water cup.
While we weren't exactly rushed, all the food came out one on top of the other and it certainly felt like they'd be glad for our table. There were a few people waiting, but not enough to make it worth annoying a customer. Oh, and they forgot one of our party's order completely - stopped at our table with it, looked at us, then gave it to another table! It had to be cooked from scratch while everyone else ate, then waited.
If you haven't had good Thai food, you might find this acceptable. I don't know how sweetening everything on the table would make anyone happy, but some people like that.
Sorry to be so negative; the staff were nice, attentive, hard working, but the food really was not up to scratch. People who have lived in Thailand and eaten well, or eaten any good Thai food anywhere else, should be aware of the over-sweetening, the corn starch, and the general poor quality of the food here.

Jefferson, Maine
“My first time eating Thai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

It was my first time having Thai, I found it to be very fresh and tasty. I ordered a seafood dish that was medium spice, just spicy enough, I could still taste the flavor of the food. The wait staff was very good and the food was delivered very quickly. I will be going back soon.

“No kidding good Thai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Was hesitant about "Best" but it really was very good and we would go back next time we are in the area. I admit that I am a Thai food snob.. The Panang and Spicy Duck were both very good. Skip the fried rice as it was very blah. While we did not have the Pad thai, those next to us did,and it too look a bit blah, but can't say from personal experience. The atmosphere is very blah but the service was very friendly.

Boothbay, Maine, United States
“Best Thai food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We love Best Thai restaurant in Damariscotta, ME. It is a charming little restaurant with a wonderful staff, very attentive and personable. Our meals are always filling, the right temperature and ingredients are very fresh as well.

• Visited October 2013