“Savory offers Damariscottia an option that has been missing with locally grown, organic, vegetarian, vegan and Gluten free optio”

Savory Maine dining & provisions
Ranked #10 of 32 Restaurants in Damariscotta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Savory Maine Local Organic Restaurant and Provisions features delicious, creatively prepared food in our elegant dining room that was formerly the sanctuary of a church and before that a schoolroom. We locally source all of our produce, seafood poultry, pork beef, dairy and eggs. Essentially all of our food is organically grown, grass fed or wild harvested. Our muffins, scones, and cookies, rolls biscuits and desserts are all baked in house. We always have vegetarian, vegan and gluten free items on the menu and gladly modify our recipes to satisfy your dietary needs. Our lower level has cafe seating and a retail space that features Maine grown and produced food that has been organically grown, wild harvested or grass fed, and a selection of environmentally friendly, Maine made gift items. Takeout is available and with advanced notice we can prepare larger quantities for you special event. Our quiche and haddock chowder have a large and growing following. We hear "this is the best I've ever had" all the the time. We have a nice selection of organic beer and wine and delicious mead made with Maine wildflower honey. We have outside seating on our waterfront deck in the warm weather. Dogs and their well behaved owners are welcome there. We look forward to your visit.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Savory is a delightful change from the glut of fried seafood places that permeate the Maine landscape. A small chapel that has been converted to a lovely dining room with local art gracing the walls; Savory offered an electric mix of locally sourced dishes with creative combinations and pleasing presentations. Offering fare from grass fed Filet Mignon and Organic Chicken to Tempeh Meatloaf and Housemade Gnoochi; Damariscottia has an option that defies the ordinary and commonplace Maine eatery. With moderate prices and common sense portioning the menu succeeds in offering a good variety that will please most appetites. The service was excellent, the food rich in flavor and the ambience charming. Support Savory it is a gem!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I were visiting from Maryland on vacation. We were walking in Damariscotta with the dog when we stumbled across this restaurant. Seeing the words vegan and organic on the sign we had to stop to check out the menu. Turns out they have a dog friendly seating area in the back, so we stayed for dinner. We were very pleasantly surprised to find such eclectic and contemporary food options in this traditional seafood oriented area of Maine. The special of the day was a ginger garlic tempeh with roasted potatoes and fresh snap peas. The dinner was delicious and very well presented. The staff was very nice and the service was great. I agree with the other reviewers who said the portions were a bit small, but the food, atmosphere, and staff were great, so we will definitely return on our next visit to the area and highly recommend this restaurant to others. Being vegetarian we did not try the meat options, but there were several meat options and gluten free options on the menu.

2  Thank Radicle8
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Gluten-free, vegetarians, and meat eaters are all welcome. Great soups, gluten-free breads available.....and good service. It's a bit slow, but all food is freshly prepared and wholesome...worth waiting for. The only thing I would say is that they could use larger bread for non-gluten-free sandwiches. This was just way too small, with large air holes in it.......making for a sloppy sandwich. Other than that......no problems. We've been twice and enjoyed each visit.

1  Thank born2dans
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Love the idea but not busy enough to support it. Several things on the limited menu not available. Extremely expensive given the portion even with local, farm ingredients. The waitress was very nice.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I live in town, and have been meaning to try this place out. I got the chance to recently when my husband, son, and I stopped by for an impromptu lunch.

My first thought was that Savory Maine is cool and offbeat... the restaurant is in, I believe, what was once a small church building, and the benches along the walls of the dining area are actually pews. Art by local artists is displayed on the walls, and I learned later in my visit that live musicians play on the stage that was once the preaching platform some nights.

The menu was a bit eclectic for my tastes—or so I thought. I was a little skeptical, as I am usually a proud omnivore, but I ordered the tempeh reuben for myself. My 3-year-old got the haddock chowder, and my husband a grass-fed burger.

When the food came, and we tasted our first bites, we were all tickled by how good it was. The farm bread on my sandwich was honestly the best bread I've ever had—and the sandwich something I know I will order again. My son's chowder was so good, his dad ordered a cup for himself after he tasted it. The small biscuit or roll that came with the chowder was some kind of multigrain, complex, cornbready miracle.

Also of note, was the service—well-versed in the offerings, prompt, and pleasant. I know we will return soon, and I can't recommend this place enough.

3  Thank Maria G