“Good idea in theory but.....”

Savory Maine dining & provisions
Ranked #11 of 32 Restaurants in Damariscotta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Savory Maine Local Organic Restaurant and Provisions features delicious, creatively prepared food in our elegant dining room that was formerly the sanctuary of a church and before that a schoolroom. We locally source all of our produce, seafood poultry, pork beef, dairy and eggs. Essentially all of our food is organically grown, grass fed or wild harvested. Our muffins, scones, and cookies, rolls biscuits and desserts are all baked in house. We always have vegetarian, vegan and gluten free items on the menu and gladly modify our recipes to satisfy your dietary needs. Our lower level has cafe seating and a retail space that features Maine grown and produced food that has been organically grown, wild harvested or grass fed, and a selection of environmentally friendly, Maine made gift items. Takeout is available and with advanced notice we can prepare larger quantities for you special event. Our quiche and haddock chowder have a large and growing following. We hear "this is the best I've ever had" all the the time. We have a nice selection of organic beer and wine and delicious mead made with Maine wildflower honey. We have outside seating on our waterfront deck in the warm weather. Dogs and their well behaved owners are welcome there. We look forward to your visit.
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Love the idea but not busy enough to support it. Several things on the limited menu not available. Extremely expensive given the portion even with local, farm ingredients. The waitress was very nice.

There are newer reviews for Savory Maine dining & provisions

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I live in town, and have been meaning to try this place out. I got the chance to recently when my husband, son, and I stopped by for an impromptu lunch.

My first thought was that Savory Maine is cool and offbeat... the restaurant is in, I believe, what was once a small church building, and the benches along the walls of the dining area are actually pews. Art by local artists is displayed on the walls, and I learned later in my visit that live musicians play on the stage that was once the preaching platform some nights.

The menu was a bit eclectic for my tastes—or so I thought. I was a little skeptical, as I am usually a proud omnivore, but I ordered the tempeh reuben for myself. My 3-year-old got the haddock chowder, and my husband a grass-fed burger.

When the food came, and we tasted our first bites, we were all tickled by how good it was. The farm bread on my sandwich was honestly the best bread I've ever had—and the sandwich something I know I will order again. My son's chowder was so good, his dad ordered a cup for himself after he tasted it. The small biscuit or roll that came with the chowder was some kind of multigrain, complex, cornbready miracle.

Also of note, was the service—well-versed in the offerings, prompt, and pleasant. I know we will return soon, and I can't recommend this place enough.

3  Thank Maria G
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Food quality was poor to mediocre at astounding prices - especially for the very, very small portions! Menu reads like fine dining but they fell far short.

2  Thank Dick40586
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Fantastic meal.....lovely setting. Will return! All foods are locavore and delicious combinations. We both enjoyed scallops with maple and ginger sauce.....

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had lunch here for the first time today and loved it! Being vegetarian it's hard to find good places to eat, this place fit the bill perfectly. Organic and locally grown ingredients with plenty of things on the menu for a vegetarian or vegan. Located on water street in an old church with the owner there doing the cooking, very refreshing. Our lunch was a great value considering how good the ingredients are, good organic food is hard to come by in restaurants. We will be going back for sure!