“Go especially for Lobster Stew or Oysters”

King Eider's Pub and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Damariscotta
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Come and visit us at King Eider's Pub in the heart of the coastal village of Damariscotta Maine. Our historic building has been home to many interesting businesses over its 100+ years. Today, its warmth draws the visitor into the first floor pub with its brick walls, handsome cherry floors and low beams hung with old iron hooks holding handmade mugs. Step upstairs to our warm and very comfortable dining room and peruse a “wine lovers” wine list. Our oyster bar is aptly named for the local Damariscotta River oysters that are served here in the intimate little bar and those oysters will quite literally spoil you for any other – anywhere! Our extensive menu and daily offerings of native seafood, steaks, cuts from our butcher and fresh produce will provide you with just the right pairing. Home of New England’s Finest Crab Cakes And Everything a Pub should be
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been going to King Eider's for a long time now and I always enjoy my meal. In addition, I like the vibe, and best yet, I can go there with the teens and they find something to eat every time that they really enjoy or I can go for more of a date night if I like, and it works for that too. Not too many restaurants can be that flexible. If you go to the little oyster bar upstairs, you are at a bar, in terms of the seating, but they also have a small table in there for two as well. Sitting at a bar isn't my favorite way of eating with a friend. Hard to eat and look at the person and talk. But the oysters are fantastic! So I suggest getting a regular table, even that room is actually kind of cute. It's a good place to go if you want to watch the hockey game with a friend and have a drink and a dozen or so. But not for conversation.

Downstairs is the pub area. It's a pub with a bar, bar seating, tall tables for two with bar stool ind of chairs, and also some bench seat tables. It's nice. Intimate. A little darker than upstairs. Service here is probably not quite as good as upstairs, which is where the waiters seem to be a bit more on the ball (maybe they are nearer to the kitchen upstairs...).

Upstairs in the regular dining area, not the oyster bar area, it feels like a family restaurant. They can easily accommodate a large group by shifting things around.

The soft pretzels are a huge hit with my kids. They get those every time. My kids also have deemed the hamburgers and fries excellent. I get a fish meal there most of the time and I find they cook all fish dishes well. Good flavor. Maybe a bit bland for my tastes, but then, most straight up American restaurants fall into that category for me.

Seating outside isn't all that exciting. View of the handicap parking space, a small road, and the sides of some uninteresting businesses.But if you really want to be outside, the tables are fine and have an umbrella over for shade.

All in all, I've never had a bad meal here, I've frequently had very, very good meals here (my all time favorite is the lobster stew which is the best I've had in Maine so far), and the service, while not entirely reliable, has for the most part been pretty good. One time they were super slow so they comped us a glass of wine and a beer. I thought that was the right thing to do.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've eaten many times at King Eider's, since Damariscotta is the nearest town to where our summer house is located. We've never been disappointed. Our most recent visit was perhaps the best experience so far. We were seated immediately, served our drinks while perusing the menu, and didn't have to wait for our meals. My wife loved her Steak & Ale Pie, our children and granddaughter raved about their meals. I ordered the Phillips Fish on the recommendation of the waitress. The owner of King Eider's told us the story of a customer, named Phillips, who told them how to prepare the haddock and after many tries, the chef finally got it right. Boy, did he ever! It is the most delicious fish dish I've ever had, with Panko bread crumbs, Monterrey Jack cheese, and white wine. This super-fresh haddock was beyond belief. I plan to order it again on our next visit there, which will be soon!

1  Thank yalahajohn
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Crab sandwich is a fried crab cake not fresh crab
Salad with cheese house specialty is a small bowl, with crushed walnuts and a lump of really really old cheese

2  Thank MORTGAGE1
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were on time for our reservation but still had to wait 15 minutes for a table, then another 15 minutes for a waitress, and another 15 minutes for each drink. Lots of wait staff running around but lack of organization seems to be their problem. Wine was OK but $8 a glass is a bit expensive for a pub. Angela had the mussels and crab cakes. Excellent mussels and a generous serving but lots of filling in their signature crab cakes. I had the clam chowder - good but with lots of bacon. I prefer no bacon. For my main course I had their signature seafood pie which was excellent but not really a pie. Its really a seafood stew and they throw a prebaked crust on it at the last minute. This place is very popular and the people are friendly but any foodie will quickly discern that the wait staff are amateurs and the kitchen can't keep up with the orders during peak times. Its very difficult getting good restaurant help in Maine. The King Eider has gone through many iterations over the years. It started out as a small local place with a limited menu and great classical pub food. Then people "from away" bought it and it became nouvelle cuisine. They failed and it has changed hands several times since...We summer in the area and try it once a year to see if they have finally got their act together. Not quite!...Not cheap! Our dinner for two with a couple of glasses of wine and a tip came out to $100...They could pay a little more attention to cleaning. Lots of food, etc. on the floor.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Delightful outdoor seating. Good menu with a large variety of options! Our favorite was the great seafood salad with blueberry dressing! We dined here twice on our trip and also enjoyed the sandwiches.