“Worked for us...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Damariscotta
Lake Pemaquid Campground
Maine
“Worked for us...”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed here July 2011 and are planning our 2nd trip back July of this year. Our campsite was long and narrow but as a small family it worked out fine. The bugs were bad but you're in the middle of the woods in Maine...we expected that. The gate keeper and people at the store were friendly. Our neighbors were young adults that were obviously intoxicated but they were a reasonable distance away and the only thing that bothered me was their colorful language, but I didn't report them so that's my problem. The hill on the "hillside" sites is quite steep - we are avoiding a hillside site this year for that reason, althought it did allow for us to only have a neighbor on 1 side. It made frequent trips to the bathroom with a child quite annoying. We did not visit the beach at all so I have no review for that. Bathrooms were tidy but not sparkling clean. Coin op showers were clean and convienent, did not malfunction at all. Pool was warm, hot tubs were nice but the kids do not pay attention to the "kids in this one, adults in this one" signage. I have stayed at other campsites and I would say this one is about average. Nothing extravagant but it's not terrible to me. We will definitely be back this year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mel R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 6, 2011

If you stay here, the few positive things that LPC has will soon be overshadowed by the numerous negative things.

1. The campsites are packed in, and there is absolutely no privacy at all.
2. The employees are rude, right from the gate keepers to the store staff...it seems as though no one knows what basic customer service is.
3. While it is pet friendly, there doesn't seem to be any policy on cleaning up after their pets, which is pretty disgusting.
4. There is a hayride and a firetruck ride through the campground on various days. The tractor that drives the hayride goes way too fast and does not have any type of safety equip. on the back to prevent injuries. The firetruck keeps right up with the hayride, and has children of all ages hanging off the back. I hope the campground has good insurance, because I foresee a lawsuit in the future.

If you are looking for a campground that has a city atmosphere, then LPC is for you, but if you are looking for a nice, family friendly, quiet campground they please beware!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank R R
Tabernacle, New Jersey
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had a great time at lake Pemaquid this summer. The entire way home back to NJ the whole family wanted to go back to Maine. I was a little worried about some other reviews I read but we found the staff very friendly, the camp clean, and the other campers respectful. We rented a cabin that looks small from the outside but was big enough for our family of 5, it was very clean when we checked in, we were sure to leave it the same way by spending 2 hours on the last day doing a good cleaning. We had no issue getting our deposit back as others have reported.
Thank you for the great memory.

Room Tip: the further back you are in the camp ground the less traffic in front of your site/cabin
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank David B
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My BF and I just stayed here from Sat Jul 2 until Tues the 5th. Went to check in and the first thing they do is slam you with a $10 gate deposit fee which was never mentioned when I made reservations. (I did get it back at the end but you have to guard the gate card with your life if you want your $10 back!) We got to our tent site and it was a disaster. There was garbage everywhere all over the site. They state in their brochure that there's insect control but we never saw anything like that and the bugs were horrible!! (And yes I'm an avid camper and understand we're in the outdoors, but the mosquitoes were ridiculous, especially if they supposedly do 'insect control'.) I went down the numerous hills to the bathroom (everything is up & down hill here and the roads are EXTREMELY narrow) and the ladies room was a mess. There was toilet paper and wrappers thrown in all of the stalls. The staff was rude from the get-go and didn't get any better through the trip. We went down to the non-existent beach (there's no where to sunbathe unless you want to sit at someone's campsite, because there's sites lined up along the tiny bit of sand they have) and went for a swim in the lake. It was really disgusting. Algae covered rocks and lots of them. There was about 3" of sludge on top of rocks that kill your feet whilst trying to go out to the deeper waters. Now I know why people were in floats, you don't want to touch the bottom! Needless to say we won't be back, ever. It's too bad they run it like a business who doesn't care about their campers, they just want to make sure they nickel and dime you all the way until you leave. I wanted to rent a kayak but that would've cost me $10/hr plus a $5 deposit and a life jacket deposit. So we had to skip it. Even their mini golf course is a rip-off at $4 a person (plus a $2 deposit on top of that for the club which you get back at the end if the club is in good shape!) ? See what I mean? Not a good place to camp at all. I'd recommend a campground that is family owned since they know how to take care of their property and their campers! Very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank redsoxfan77
Portland, Maine
Reviewed June 21, 2011

In agreement with other reviews as far a rude management. Both owner and wife, rude and not helpful both visits. No refunds no matter what. This year (Father's Day Weekend 2011) owners warned rowdy aggressive campers about behavior, but then owners left the campground Sunday at 2pm with NO SECURITY in place until Monday morning. Damariscotta police had to be called in and then rowdy crowd vandalized one of their neighbors vehicles before leaving.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank mecmpgfam
Westford, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I have been camping at Lake Pemaquid for 25 years now- never missed a year. It is a wonderful family campground where I have spent my summers. As a young child, I loved their hayrides, playgrounds, children's entertainment, rainy day movies, fishing derbies, etc. Now as an adult, I thoroughly enjoy the peace and quiet of the lake, a good kayak ride, the dances, and the sounds of the loons singing late at night. The camp store is a wonderful treat where you can buy Maine lobster dinners, the campers are all so nice, the staff is wonderful, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this treasure to any camper. The sites are big and you're not on top of your neighbors, the water is beautiful and there are several areas to swim, they have pools and jacuzzis for the cooler days. I just love it here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank groovytmoney
Randolph, ME
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I have been coming to Lake Pemaquid since I was a teen and now I have my own. It is a favorite to gather with groups of family and friends several times a year. I bring my dogs and they have no problem as the sites are large enough and the other campers are family oriented. I have also stayed in their smaller camps which I did not have any issue getting my security deposit back. You cannot go and expect to be able to leave your site a mess and have someone pick it up- if everyone does their share, it all evens out. It's camping... if you want to be waited on- go to a hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank boyington34
Also consider these accommodations in or near Damariscotta
Bradley Inn
Wiscasset Woods Lodge
Wiscasset Woods Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wiscasset
Sheepscot Harbour Village Resort & Spa

Been to Lake Pemaquid Campground? Share your experiences!