“great vacation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Damariscotta
Lake Pemaquid Campground
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had a great time at lake Pemaquid this summer. The entire way home back to NJ the whole family wanted to go back to Maine. I was a little worried about some other reviews I read but we found the staff very friendly, the camp clean, and the other campers respectful. We rented a cabin that looks small from the outside but was big enough for our family of 5, it was very clean when we checked in, we were sure to leave it the same way by spending 2 hours on the last day doing a good cleaning. We had no issue getting our deposit back as others have reported.
Thank you for the great memory.

Room Tip: the further back you are in the camp ground the less traffic in front of your site/cabin
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank David B

Reviewed July 6, 2011

My BF and I just stayed here from Sat Jul 2 until Tues the 5th. Went to check in and the first thing they do is slam you with a $10 gate deposit fee which was never mentioned when I made reservations. (I did get it back at the end but you have to guard the gate card with your life if you want your $10 back!) We got to our tent site and it was a disaster. There was garbage everywhere all over the site. They state in their brochure that there's insect control but we never saw anything like that and the bugs were horrible!! (And yes I'm an avid camper and understand we're in the outdoors, but the mosquitoes were ridiculous, especially if they supposedly do 'insect control'.) I went down the numerous hills to the bathroom (everything is up & down hill here and the roads are EXTREMELY narrow) and the ladies room was a mess. There was toilet paper and wrappers thrown in all of the stalls. The staff was rude from the get-go and didn't get any better through the trip. We went down to the non-existent beach (there's no where to sunbathe unless you want to sit at someone's campsite, because there's sites lined up along the tiny bit of sand they have) and went for a swim in the lake. It was really disgusting. Algae covered rocks and lots of them. There was about 3" of sludge on top of rocks that kill your feet whilst trying to go out to the deeper waters. Now I know why people were in floats, you don't want to touch the bottom! Needless to say we won't be back, ever. It's too bad they run it like a business who doesn't care about their campers, they just want to make sure they nickel and dime you all the way until you leave. I wanted to rent a kayak but that would've cost me $10/hr plus a $5 deposit and a life jacket deposit. So we had to skip it. Even their mini golf course is a rip-off at $4 a person (plus a $2 deposit on top of that for the club which you get back at the end if the club is in good shape!) ? See what I mean? Not a good place to camp at all. I'd recommend a campground that is family owned since they know how to take care of their property and their campers! Very disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank redsoxfan77
Reviewed June 21, 2011

In agreement with other reviews as far a rude management. Both owner and wife, rude and not helpful both visits. No refunds no matter what. This year (Father's Day Weekend 2011) owners warned rowdy aggressive campers about behavior, but then owners left the campground Sunday at 2pm with NO SECURITY in place until Monday morning. Damariscotta police had to be called in and then rowdy crowd vandalized one of their neighbors vehicles before leaving.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank mecmpgfam
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I have been camping at Lake Pemaquid for 25 years now- never missed a year. It is a wonderful family campground where I have spent my summers. As a young child, I loved their hayrides, playgrounds, children's entertainment, rainy day movies, fishing derbies, etc. Now as an adult, I thoroughly enjoy the peace and quiet of the lake, a good kayak ride, the dances, and the sounds of the loons singing late at night. The camp store is a wonderful treat where you can buy Maine lobster dinners, the campers are all so nice, the staff is wonderful, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this treasure to any camper. The sites are big and you're not on top of your neighbors, the water is beautiful and there are several areas to swim, they have pools and jacuzzis for the cooler days. I just love it here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank groovytmoney
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I have been coming to Lake Pemaquid since I was a teen and now I have my own. It is a favorite to gather with groups of family and friends several times a year. I bring my dogs and they have no problem as the sites are large enough and the other campers are family oriented. I have also stayed in their smaller camps which I did not have any issue getting my security deposit back. You cannot go and expect to be able to leave your site a mess and have someone pick it up- if everyone does their share, it all evens out. It's camping... if you want to be waited on- go to a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank boyington34
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I rented a cabin with my family and some friends. When we arrived we found a note tacked to the fridge saying that occupants must clean up after themselves in order to receive their security deposit back. No problem after staying at the cabin that sleeps six to eight at the end of the week we washed all the dishes sanitized all counters and surfaces and swept out the entire two story cabin including the basement. the place was very clean. However management felt we did not do a good enough job and our security deposit was not returned we left the place cleaner than we had found it these people are thieves they knew that we would not be able to dispute them once we where back in New Jersey. Do not stay here unless you would like to be ripped off.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank creg_016
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed in the Sunrise Cottage July 24-31 and had a pretty good time until we received a letter saying that we were not getting our security deposit back. I was with my husband, and 2 other couples and we did mostly day trips and mainly used the house for sleeping. On the morning we left, 6 adults cleaned for 3 hours to make sure the place was spotless for the next visitors. When I asked the front desk when to expect our deposit, they informed me that the house was not suitable for the next guests. The place was SPOTLESS, so it was clear they just wanted to keep the money. I would never go back soley for this reason. The surrounding drunks and rednecks I can deal with; someone keeping my money for no justifiable reason, I can't.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank danip31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Damariscotta
Flagship Inn
Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
#1 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
HawksHouse Bed & Breakfast

Been to Lake Pemaquid Campground? Share your experiences!