“Best lobster stew/bisque I've ever had”

Schooner Landing Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 32 Restaurants in Damariscotta
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Lobster is my favorite food, but I will only eat it fresh while in the great State of Maine. I guess that makes me a lobster snob. I've eaten lobster all along the coast, from Bar Harbor down to Portland, and this place has, hands down, the best lobster bisque (they call it lobster stew) anywhere. In the world of lobster, nothing irritates me more than getting a bowl of pricey lobster bisque with only one or two small pieces of lobster in it-- I want chunks! This place gives you LOTS of tasty chunks of delicious lobster meat! I've eaten here a few times now, just to confirm that I didn't get a lucky batch.

OK, so the food is great. The service and ambience are also great. My wife and I enjoy sitting outside and watching a band play there (Jerks of Grass is our favorite). Nice sunset spot right on the water. To me, this is Maine. Enjoy.

1  Thank snipesmorris

Reviewed September 13, 2011

The bacon cheese fries come on very hot plates and are excellent. This place is right on the water and the view is very nice. But beyond the fries, the food was just ok.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stopped here randomly on a drive through town and had low expectations having not done any research. What we found was good service and extremely fresh lobster. I say fresh after having sampled lobster up-and-down the New England coast from Newport, RI to Bar Harbor, ME. Maybe we got lucky and the lobster just came in or maybe it is always like that. Either way, at least you'll get a waterside dining option with plenty of options on the menu including vegetarian ones that one of us ordered. Not everyone in our party loved their meal and hence the 3 rather than 4 stars. But, overall, we all agreed it is a good place worth a stop if you're passing through in need of a Maine waterfront meal. Don't forget the mosquito spray if you're going for dinner!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

The view of Damariscotta harbor is best from Schooner Landing and the clam chowder ranks among the best anywhere in the state of Maine. We have been regular customers for many years and Schooner Landing never disappoints. Say Hi to Charlie or Scott when you go.

Reviewed July 13, 2011

Where do I start? The beer was warm. I was told that they don't have air conditioning so the beer is warm. The rolls were cold. I was told that's the way they are intended to be served. I only stayed because they said they had clam chowder, but after we settled in, I was told the clam chowder had been turned into haddock chowder. I ordered the stuffed haddock. It was unmemorable. The baked potato that came with the meal tasted exactly like a baked potato that I've re-warmed up in my microwave when I take leftovers home. In other words, it was cooked earlier in the day. Except this potato wasn't even re-warmed up enough to melt butter on it. The one good thing we did have were the bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer. They were excellent. The view is nice but there are so many other place to eat at on the coast line with a great view and better food.

4  Thank ConnieG26