“A Gem Between Portland, Maine and the White Mountains”
Review of The Cornish Inn

The Cornish Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Restaurants in Cornish
Dining options: Dinner, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Waitstaff
Fiscardo, Greece
“A Gem Between Portland, Maine and the White Mountains”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Since 1990, I have been going between Portland, Maine and the White Mountains on Route 25. To say there is a dearth of good eating is an understatement. Tonight based on a referral we stopped in Cornish, Maine at the Cornish Inn, a small B&B. What a treat.

I had low expectations having just returned from some great dining in New Orleans but was not disappointed. The Chef Owner evidently did a stent at Fore Street in Portland and it shows. The food is both local, not frozen or processed -- rather carefully made from scratch. The chowder was perfect. It was a rich fish stock made in small batches and finished to order with the freshest of fish. It was accompanied with homemade bread infused with herbs from the kitchen garden.
Our dinners came with a garden salad with local greens and apples finished off with a light cider vinaigrette. I opted for the crab cakes which had been dipped in sesame seeds before being pan fried. Delicious. My husband had mussels Provencal. Everything was expertly seasoned. Simple and refreshing.
We didn't have room for dessert but we took two bowls of chowder back with us for tomorrow's lunch. Well worth a stop.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank esemmes

Northampton, Massachusetts
“Terrific food and great drinks!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Each year, a small group of us take a break from our camping in Maine and have dinner and drinks at the Cornish Inn. This year, like past years, we sat at the bar and started with great drinks. One of our favorites was a blueberry martini starring fresh Maine blueberry juice! Then we moved on to some amazing salads and dinners -- I had Guinness braised beef with amazing potatoes and local veggies. The chef later sent out complimentary peach crisps for each of us -- out of this world! Great atmosphere, great drinks, great food.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Shellfont
Portland, Maine
“Superb-Yet Casual Dining at the Cornish Inn”
Reviewed September 10, 2007

This is a personal reivew of the Cornish Inn--Dining Room. My husband and I happened upon the magical town of Cornish when driving back to our home in Portland after blueberry and apple picking nearby. We saw the Cornish Inn and were intrigued--so we drove back the next evening to have dinner at the Inn. The atmosphere in the dining room gives you a cozy feeling, yet there is ampe space between tables. The gorgeous hardwood floors were shining and the decor was old-time Maine, but at the same time, comfortable and elegant. Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. The chef uses only fresh ingredients from local growers. It was apparent in the butter lettuce salad with savory chevre, toasted pine nuts, almonds, and pecans with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic reduction--delicious! My husband ordered the grilled black angus sirloin strip steak with tomatillo tomato puree, garlic mashed potatoes and wilted mustard greens. He claims it's the best steak he's ever had and he loved the mashed potatoes...fresh, hot, and so tasty. I had the oven-roasted Coho salmon fillet with curry wild rice and Beaumont Farm green beans (just picked that morning). It was a gourmet dream. We finished with two creme brulees which were light and perfectly prepared with a perfect thin glacee top...like a piece of toasted glass! The prices are very reasonable for the quality of service and cuisine. The menu changes regularly based on the fresh ingredients and what's in season. I should also mention that the restrooms are immaculate, enough so, that I had to comment to the waitress and owners. I hope Portlanders and New Englanders alike will take a ride to Cornish, Maine and dine at the Inn...It will be an experience you will remember for a long time and you will want to return, I am sure. I looked up on their website [--] to learn that they have brucn on Saturdays and Sundays from 8-2. Dinner is Wednesday through Sunday...5-9...and lastly, there is seating on the old-fashioned and picturesque porch--It doesn't get any better than this!

4 Thank BeeMelissa