“Excellent Vacation!!! We loved it!! We will be back next year!”
Review of Midway Motel

Midway Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cornish
Midway Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cornish
Hartford, Connecticut
“Excellent Vacation!!! We loved it!! We will be back next year!”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

A great experience overall. Very relaxing place to stay in a beautiful town, especially coming from the hustle and bustle of Hartford CT. Our family loved it. Rooms were great, very clean and everyone at the Midway was very friendly. Eileen and Ron were great hosts! We will definitely vacation in Cornish again next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
19 Thank Anthony L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The main reason I chose to write this post regarding my stay at the Midway Motel in Cornish Maine is to make sure others are aware of the discriminatory conduct of the owners.

While visiting family in the Cornish area I stayed at the Midway Motel. During our visit, the guardian to my nieces had to go to the ER due to a sudden allergic reaction. When I asked the owners of the Midway to expand my 2-double bed room from two adults to two adults and two children, they wouldn’t allow it. This seemed odd to me as every hotel I have ever stayed allows four-person occupancy (even 4 adults) to stay in a 2-double bed room.

They claimed Maine ‘law’ prohibited my nieces from staying with me and that it was really a matter of insurance liability. I informed them that I would be happy to add them to my room and pay for the additional persons. I also explained, if it was a matter of receiving consent, I would be able to have their guardian complete a consent form. The owner continued to claim now that it was the insurance that wouldn’t allow it. When I asked for proof of insurance so I could contact the insurer to inquire of this, they would not provide it. I also asked for information as to the specific statute where this behavior expressed as a violation of Maine law.

Eventually, Eileen conceded that this decision was hers and hers alone, making it clear to me that this was an act of discriminatory nature. For the sake of helping my family in a time of need, I did not force the issue at that point in time. However, looking back, I do think it is important for others to know that this is how this establishment is run. In researching, I found Maine’s Human Rights Act, Title 5 Chapter 337 which states that at a place of public accommodation, including a Hotel/Motel, it is unlawful for any representative of the accommodation, including the owner, lessee, proprietor, manager, superintendent, agent of employee of any public accommodation for lodging, etc, to directly or indirectly refuse or withhold from or deny to any person on the basis that children will occupy the unit. As expressed in Maine law, the motel directly violated Maine law by prohibiting me from accommodating my nieces.

The low rating I am giving is not only based on the above noted discrepancy, but also due to the extreme limitations and restrictions the owners placed on the property as well as uncleanliness.

-Room servicing requirements were a hassle. They insisted that someone inspect and clean your room every day. Thus ‘do not disturb’ signs did not exist.
-Despite ‘cleaning’ rooms every day, the place had cockroaches, which I had the pleasure of spotting at 2am, day of departure. This meant upon returning from my trip, I had to sanitize everything to make sure I didn’t bring their bugs into my own home.
-Someone else’s hair was left in the sink and bath drains from the prior stay.
-They had limited hours on the pool. The opening times were vague. Even when we asked, they would say it would open at 8 am and when I went to swim at 11:30 am it was still closed. It would always close at 7 pm.

Overall, the place was just unpleasant. This motel certainly will not provide a relaxing getaway. As with my experience, the place itself manifested several problems, making the trip entirely unenjoyable. I would not recommend this motel to anyone, in fact, if you must stay in Cornish Maine, which within itself is a charming little town, stay at the Cornish Inn. It comes highly recommended from everyone I know that has stayed there.

Room Tip: I suggest staying at the Cornish Inn instead.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TourLocalLife
Gloucester, MA
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stay at the Midway every time we visit my boyfriends family in Porter. The motel has always met our expectations it is clean and comfortable and reasonably priced. The innkeepers were not there for this visit they had some friends minding the Inn, They were very friendly as are the innkeepers themselves. We look forward to our next visit hopefully we will come when it is warm enough for the pool to be open it is lovely to take a swim with the mountains in the background.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Gloucesterbuff
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We just spent three nights in this unexpectedly wonderful traditional motel, and it was about as comfortable as it can be away from home. Their website pictures don't do justice to the great flower beds.
Rooms have thru ventilation and a big back window facing the mountains, as well as front windows facing the attractive grounds and parking lot. And it was quiet, never heard neighbors tho it was full, and only moderate roadnoise. The frig and microwave were on a nice table, and our room also had both a little dining table and a small computer table and good free wifi...yikes. Better than many high-priced hotels. FOUR CHAIRS including a comfortable armchair, plus your very own two outside chairs!
Tho it was a traditional motel in many ways, there were many cosy decorations.
The pool was lovely, with a view of mountains, flowers, lots of seating, tables etc. Did I mention immaculate?
The location is a plus also, with just a short drive to historic Cornish with its cute shops, and a supermarket 1/2 mile away.
Our new favorite inland Maine spot.....sooo affordable too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank schdyannie
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed here on a rec from a local canoe guide. We called ahead to say we'd be late and they left the room open for us. Our room was quiet, clean, spacious and charming.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank cinnabuster
IL
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Stayed there 2 nights for ski vacation. Its about 20 min. drive from King Pine. The room wasn't big, but enough space for 2 and clean. There was even a microwave.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bratis
CT
Reviewed March 16, 2009

A diamond in the ROUGH!!! My family and I have stayed at many places on the road from Maine to Florida and have never experienced the cleaniness of rooms of this degree. A very quiet area for relaxing and taking in the sights. A score of 12 would be our vote. Every tiny detail was taken care of by the owners to make our stay enjoyable. The mountain views were awesome even in March. For a quick dinner, Sofia's across the street was excellent and fast. For a real seafood dinner or lunch, the Bay Haven-within a short walk-was the best lunch that we have every had in the State of Maine. For dinner, the line had a waiting time of between 1.5 hrs-2 hours wait but the wait is well worth it. No reservation are accepted. The portions are huge and fresh-you may have to take it home. ENJOY!!! Diane,George & Steve--CT

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
9 Thank gardeningdi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornish
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Purity Spring Resort
#1 of 1 in Madison
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Windham
Saco River Lodge & Suites

Been to Midway Motel? Share your experiences!