“Penobscot Room-Manor Inn”

Ranked #3 of 3 Castine B&B and Inns
Cranston, Rhode Island
“Penobscot Room-Manor Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I've read the reviews and am happy to report that we had a wonderful experience at The Manor Inn.
I originally booked the room via internet and received an email back from the owner, Nancy, stating the room was not available but that she would upgrade us to the Penobscot room at no additional charge. When we arrived, Tom checked us in(with no issue whatsoever).
Our room was beautiful and clean. It had a pull out sofa and a lounge chair in addition to the very comfortable king size bed. there was no AC but one of the windows did have a screen and a fan.
The bathroom had a claw tub and separate tiled shower (very spacious).
After check-in, we returned later that evening only to hear the unexpected sounds of the baby grand piano music. We decided to drop our stuff in our room and went down for a drink at the bar. There were people scattered about enjoying the atmosphere and a drink. It was exactly what one would expect at an inn or B&B.
Breakfast the next morning was delicious. It was nice to have a choice and that it was cooked to serve not sitting in a serving tray over a stereo
While I cannot speak for others (who have obviously had problems), we will definitely be returning to the inn for future stays!

Room Tip: Penobscot had plenty of room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KJ M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
St. Johns, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I thought I was going to be an isolated case, but read another review here who seemed to have a similar experience with Tom, the owner and don’t feel so singled-out. This is a very long read, but I think it will give readers insight into how this place is run, so bear with the long dissertation.

Let me point out the good things about this place first. The rooms we were in were very nicely decorated, with a very comfortable bed, and a nice bathroom with plenty of room. Also, I have stayed at about 40 Inns in the past 5 years and this was the first one to offer choices at breakfast, which was a nice change of pace. Perhaps the others I have stayed at were too small to offer these choices, but once again, nice change of pace with good food. I would gladly pay the amount I did for the room I was in again, given a few minor tweaks. This brings us to the few things I would have appreciated. Screens in the windows would have been nice. The windows in our room (#4) had no screens, and being summer it was hot, so by the time the room started to cool off thanks to one fan, we were doing battle with mosquitoes and moths the size of small bats. My wife had to wear a long-sleeve shirt to bed and close the windows in order to limit the additional bugs, so we roasted all night. AC would have been good as well.

The next thing that would be a big help here is for Tom to get out of the hospitality industry and find a profession where swearing at guests and threatening to beat them up is acceptable; I think they call it cage fighting, but he will really need to train as he is kind of small.

When I booked this place we were coming into town for an annual regatta and needed two or three rooms. As the other two places downtown were already booked I called the Manor Inn. Tom informed me that they may have a wedding, but he would call me back and let me know. In the interim, I looked into other locations and found one 18 miles away. Given that we were going between the boat we were on and the inn, we really didn’t want to be that far out of town, so after much discussion with the others in our party I decided to call the Manor Inn back. This time Nancy picked up, who was pleasant to speak to. I let her know that I was following up (about five hours after my first call) and was wondering if they had made any headway. I could hear Tom telling her “I told him I would call him back” in his stern, gruff voice. That should have been my first indication to run, and it actually was; I told Nancy thank you, and immediately called the place 18 miles away and booked. A few hours later Nancy called back and let me know they had three rooms, so I spoke with the others in our party again and we called back to book two for two couples. We were told we had one room priced at $235 and one at $185; given the situation, we were fine. We cancelled our other reservations and went with the Manor Inn; big expensive mistake.

When we got there, we had the $235 room, but also now had a second room at $235; upgraded in room and price by $50. Not being one to complain, I let it go. A third couple was also interested in possibly staying, so since I was at the counter checking into my room, I asked if he had another. Tom said he would check and I showed him who to take it up with. He suggested they look at room #14, but didn’t have a price; “I’ll have to check” was his response three times. This sounded suspicious as well; how do you own an Inn and not know how much your room is? After looking at the 110 degree attic (#14) our friends decided to pass, still not knowing the price and being unable to find Tom.

The next day, during check-out Tom tells me that my friend, needs to pay for the room they didn’t stay in, to which I let him know that I will pass that message, but that is something between the two of them. He then let me know that in his opinion, I was responsible for the room and told me that this whole situation was bovine feces and that he had several people he turned away from that room because of me. Now, if you own an inn, have the key to a room, do not have a guest card or credit card on file, and do not even know that name of the person looking at the room, at what point do you go ahead in let the room go to another person? It seems in Tom’s world never, and then just find someone to pay the next day.

In order to defuse the situation I told Tom that he should do what he thinks it right and if he wants to charge the room to me, he has my card, however this does not involve me. He complained some more, but did not charge my room. This is where it should have ended, but apparently I was wrong again.

So, down at the town landing I tell my friend that Tom expects a room to be paid for that no one stayed in and head off to the restroom. When I come out, Tom is in his truck, pointing the wrong way in the parking lot, telling my wife and two friends to perform sexual acts on themselves which are physically and anatomically impossible. I then ask “Really, are we still having this conversation” to which I am invited to perform the same self-service and advised that I will never stay in his inn again. Thank goodness he was there to clarify that I cannot pay him $250 to have my wife and friends, plus myself abused by this guy. Of course, by this time I have had enough, so I suggested he quit being a little female dog about the whole thing. This must have sent in him into delusional land because he then jumps out his truck and brings all of his 170 pound or so self to beat me up in the parking lot; that will help Tom. Now, not knowing if his brother-in -law was the local cop or something I had a few options. Instead of showing him that the 100 pounds of weight advantage I had on him would take his morning from bad to fatal, I decided to walk away. My wife then let him know that he was about to make a very bad decision
and the best course of action was to get in his truck and go home. Had he not been between me and my vehicle, I felt threatened enough to possibly make the situation for him very, very bad (read between the lines on how bad this was).

Here is what I think; the inn is struggling because this guy is such a tool. He changes rooms to put people who do walk into his trap into the most expensive room he has and then looks for every opportunity to stick his guests with whatever he can in order to pay his bills. In this case, he wanted to stick me with another room my friend looked at. Tom, do yourself and the nice town of Castine a favor and retire. Until then, we will be staying at one of the other two inns in town, or just drive back to Portland before staying here ever again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
30 Thank Hodaddy6
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Me, my husband, son, daughter-in-law and 2 young grandsons stayed here for 2 nights and had a lovely time. The breakfast was included and was really good with several choices and the days weather forecast printed on the menu. We had dinner one night and we all found it excellent quality. The crabcakes are a must. I would describe the hotel as shabby chic i.e. clean but well worn and cared for. The rooms have great views and are very large.

Room Tip: on the hotel's website each room is described in detail
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

We looked at the Manor website and also several reviews that said this was an excellent place. DON"T BELIEVE THOSE REVIEWS! We are not the fussiest travelers- we expect glitches and some issues with old buildings especially on the Atlantic coast where the weather can be harsh, But this place is NOT what it purports to be. At best, this place is shabby with a foul mouthed angry Inn Keeper (see review of the Restaurant and our experience there). SHABBY AND NOT CLEAN - Our room had an old stained carpet, couch with torn upholstery, broken side table, dirty drinking glasses, dust on all surfaces, dirty windows and dozens and dozens of flies! FLIES EVERYWHERE - We did not see the flies until we closed the curtains to go to bed and then we spent 20 minutes killing flies. When we mentioned it to the Inn Keeper, he laughed and said that was a problem with several rooms! No offer to clean things up or compensate us for sharing our room with Vermin! NOISY HEAT AND NO HEAT- the heater is in the bed area of the room and was the loudest thing on earth- my spouse can sleep through anything but even this heater awoke him. We kept it shut off at night (thankfully we had a down comforter) but even when we turned it on in the morning, it overheated the bed area and there was NO heat in the bath! VERY uncomfortable to take a shower under the trickle of hot water in a cold bathroom. There were no amenities such as extra pillows, a water pitcher, extra blankets, tea or coffee in the common areas. The bed gave us both a backache. Moreover, our 3rd floor room only had one egress- no fire escape for us. We would have left had we been able to get a refund. And this was not inexpensive! STAY AT THE SMALL 1950's or 1960s style motels in Ellsworth! It will be cheaper, cleaner, safer AND more comfortable!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
14 Thank PhDRN
Deep River, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Now back into the daily grind....but making time for a well deserved review. I had a wonderful Friday through Monday stay at this Inn. Comfortable (terrific mattress), peaceful but not too quiet. Breakfast each morning was delicious... home made with TLC. Inn within walking distance to town. The house is really large, love the period details... clean room, awesome soap (nice touch) and GREAT water pressure in the shower! Friendly staff, owners who were relaxed themselves and wonderful hosts. Brought the laptop and had free wireless. But even better... I read a book from the bookshelf...and almost finished it! Asked to swap it for a book I happened to have in the car and was told "yes". Small touch but made a nice difference for me. I had a lovely view of the bay through the one window in the room, but it was a lovely window with a functional small couch in front of it. I couldn't have been more pleased. No TV or radio in the room and I found this to be a plus for the weekend. I would happily return. ~ Carol from Deep River, Ct.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank torch09
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

If you're in search of a low key, historical home in a very quiet town you'll be very happy here at Manor Inn in Castine, Maine. My husband & I were a bit disappointed. The photos of the inn we viewed from their website were not exactly as we found it. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable with a lovely view of the Penobscott Bay. However it was dark, drab and a bit worn. The water spotted ceiling, window screens on the floor, broken handle on the stool, old stained bathtub and a beeping fire alarm were not the expectations we had. We were greeted with a smile upon checking in and when asked, given suggestions for dining options. However, that is as far as the welcoming went. We were not given any information about breakfast and by the time we asked it was too late. I must admit, we now wish we had stayed an additional night at our previous location and skipped Castine all together.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuvBirdsTravels
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I loved this inn. The house was beautiful, the rooms spacious, clean, and authentic. The breakfast is excellent. Coming from Manhattan we were impressed. It is the perfect spot to relax, disconnect from the world (TV, phone, internet) although they have free wifi available if you are itching to connect to the outside world.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the water so you get the second floor south facing rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ronyzeidan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castine
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
#2 of 4 in Searsport
Captain A. V. Nickels Inn
Captain A. V. Nickels Inn
#1 of 4 in Searsport

Been to The Manor Inn? Share your experiences!