“magical little restaurant”

Dunedin, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“magical little restaurant”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My mother and I had heard great things about the Pentagoet Inn Restaurant, and we were staying at the Pentagoet Hotel, so we made our reservations with extremely high expectations. We were absolutely amazed at the quality of the whole dining experience that the Pentagoet Restaurant encompassed. The restaurant is in a charming old house a few blocks from the sea, and the atmosphere was warm and friendly, the lighting soft and romantic to start the evening off nicely. I ordered a vegetarian entree and was impressed with how creative the chef had been, since oftentimes vegetarian food, especially in seaside towns, is pretty boring and tasteless. Both my mother (who is non-vegetarian) and I were very happy with our appetizers, entrees, and dessert--it was by far the best restaurant we dined at in our week on the Maine coast. It seemed like they based their menu off of what they could get fresh and in season (in fact, earlier that day we had seen Jack at the farmers market!), which I could definitely taste.
Perhaps more important than the excellent food was the feeling of the restaurant. Jack and his wife, and our waiters and servers, were all so friendly and kind. We left dinner that night and Maine the next morning feeling like we had truly experienced Maine hospitality, and it was a magical thing.

• Visited August 2012

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Fine Dining”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Inn's dinner menu was varied and gourmet! We loved the baby lamb chops we had. The lobster bisque soup was outstanding. Would I go again? You bet!

Visited September 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Restaurant part of an excellent package”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I second the 5-mark ratings for the restaurant and food, but want to emphasize the splendid accomodations and atmosphere as well. If you will be anywhere in this area on your trip, you will be very glad you found the Pentagoet Inn, and the delightful owners, a couple who can charm and enlighten you as you wish. If you are a married couple who lives in the area, and are considering a romantic/sexy weekend away, you can not do any better than Castine and the Pentagoet Inn. Book it!

• Visited October 2012
“Pentagoet Inn restaurant”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

In this rather small Maine town, there's not a lot of choice available for dining out, let alone fine dining. That's why we were very pleasantly surprised to find this dining room which clearly was way above average for the area. The selections were inventive and the food well-prepared and the service quite good. I hope they make a go of it because if they do we will be back.

Bangor, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Memorable meal in a memorable setting”
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

A near perfect dinner in a special place. Our meal was delicious, presented just right, and served with the proper degree of attention. The only slight disappointment I found was that since lobster is at near historic price lows, my entree might have contained more of this distinct Maine delicacy. My wife's was properly sized. The overall experience negated this minor complaint though, and I should add that the restaurant promoted its fare as being oriented to modest portions. The Inn was historical, quaint and eclectic and Castine is a worthy coastal destination.