“Don't go if you plan to rent”
Review of Point Sebago

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Casco
Point Sebago
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Casco
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This was our first and last trip to Point Sebago. The grounds are well kept and clean. The laundramat was fine, but if you need change or supplies go to the camp store first because it's quite a hike. They need to put a sign on the road to make it easier to find. Plenty of activities for the kids, but from what we could see there is an extra charge for everything. Ate at the restaurant one night. Prime Rib Night, ordered in advance. Food served buffet sytle. Vegetables were cold. Meat luke warm & tough. Had lunch at the snack bar twice. There needs to be some adult supervision. The kids at the pick up window couldn't get the orders straight. Fries were cold. Ice cream snack bar was better and the ice cream was great. Went to Happy Hour one afternoon. Arrived about 3:40. People sitting in the lounge with drinks. Music was deafening. No food in sight. Worst part was the park home we rented. Had stayed in a park home at another campground last year. For about $200 more than Point Sebago had 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large working kitchen, dining area seating 6, living room with large TV, deck out the front, central air & plenty of hot water.When we checked in the house had been cleaned, beds were made up & towels in racks in the bathrooms.The difference was night & day. Point Sebago - 2 bedrooms, funton in the living room, 13" TV, 1 window air conditioner which does not cool the whole home.Flatware was flimsy & dinner plates were basically large luncheon plates. Linens were delivered and we had to make up our own bed. Bed linens worn, no mattress pads provided. Towels so thin they should be used as dust rags. Other people have complained that the mattresses are hard & uncomfortable. What they didn't mention was how noisy they are. Any time you move, which is often since they're so uncomfortable, they creak & groan so loudly that they can be heard both inside & outside the home. First priority should be to ensure the comfort of their paying guests. They fail. Came home exhausted from lack of sleep with a sore back, hips, neck & shoulders. Grossly overpriced for what you get. They have a lot to learn about being a true resort.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank mdh953

Reviewed August 24, 2010

If you are looking for a summer camp where parents can go too, this is a good place. There are lots of activities to keep the whole family busy. The children's program is for 4+ years of age so families with younger children will not be able to take advantage of the free kids programs. I didn't see anywhere on the website that Point Sebago is a RV campground as well as having cottages and "homes" for rent. I think if you know this going in you will have appropriate expectations. The write up of certain activities makes them sound very interesting and exciting, yet when you get there they can be only OK, but definitely don't live up the the expectations. I think the PR department is doing a great job at selling and the HR department needs to communicate to the staff what is expected of them. Many of the staff were lacking in common manners and were often not very helpful. We loved the boat rentals and had a great time on the lake. The staff at the marina were very helpful and did a great job. We also really liked the golf program for kids and beginners. The pros were good and very friendly and the course was relatively easy which makes for a good experience for beginners. We stayed in one of the vacation homes which was very clean, well equipted, and quiet. I understand down by the lake can get pretty loud with camp fires going all night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Having said that, I do have to agree with the other reviews regarding the miserable staff; especially the woman at ticket window, and the "kids" working at the outdoor cafe, I just ignore them, they don't dictate my enjoyment of my vacation... the waitresses at the Sebago lounge are wonderful!

Used the night camp 1st year, was not impressed as my daughter choked and only found out from her older brother who was there too. I am not one for dumping my kids with strangers anyhow. Kids like the arcade, and the ceramics are a good break for them from the sun for a while, prices for crafts reasonable.

Comedy show is hilarious, the friday night staff shows are well thought out, this year was a red sox vs yankees theme, well put together. Best was back to the 80's a few yrs ago.

The food at the restaurant is OK typical pub fare. I actually shop prior to checking in, cold cuts and sandwiches for the beach and most accomodations have grills.

I rent from a private owner on vrbo, this was my fourth year, never had any surprises regarding cleanliness or new rules,ie: trash. That was not a big deal to me though, just dropped it off on the way to the beach.

Lake is beautiful and clean. Plenty to do, though non-motorized canoes and kayaks should not have a fee, nor should other activities...or charge a flat fee. Rented a pontoon boat for a fair price, fits 15 comfy, so a few families split the cost.

New tiki bar area is awesome. Wish beach BBQ with Flaymin Raymin was longer than 2 hours, he is so much fun!

Honestly, only use my car once or twice the entire week I am there to explore nearby Naples shops and restaurants on the causeway or a trip to LLBean.

The location and layout are great, not sure what those with such negative reviews expect to find...this isn't Atlantis~

My family is sad to leave, keep saying every year I am going to buy my own resort cottage, it would pay for itself by renting out. I have to say, I swear every year I am going to get more involved in the many daily activities, but it is so darn relaxing in a beach chair!

1  Thank Joepatash
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Aug 2009 will be my last trip to PS. I have rented their resort and vacation homes for about seven of the last ten years with a few years two at a time to accommodate all of the family. The last three vacation home rentals have not gone well. One had a complete lack of kitchen utensils and only because we had rented two homes, next door to each other, were we able to get by. That is inexcusable, it was not just a missing item that can happen, it was a home not suited for rental. Another vacation home I slept on a bed with broken slats, "Bob's" junk furniture. Again this should be corrected when cleaning goes thru units between rentals. The end of my vacationing at PS came in 2009 when we arrived to find we had to lug our trash from the unit by car! Formerly trash was picked up at the curb as it is done in any other place. I have rented vacation places for years and never had to take trash beyond door or curb at the furthest. Walking to curb or corner is acceptable, putting trash in car and going to dumpster is not when you are paying $2000 a week. This was an unannounced change in their rigid rules and they would not bend when I complained at desk. They claim it is to reduce carbon footprint, ridiculous! Everybody taking their car instead of their little truck going around is less of a carbon footprint? Just a PC statement for cover of their reducing cost. I have enjoyed PS in the past but the last few years it has gone astray, it is now $$$ and customer be damned. I used to make rental plans with confidence of a good vacation, that is gone now. The very top management has to get a grip and look at what they are doing as customer service. When you point something out like no utensils they tell you homes are individually owned. I understand that but, I am renting thru PS and they have to enforce minimum standards for my $2000, I don't want a story. The trash situation is absolutely unacceptable to me and I will never go there again under those rules.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Camry_01821
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The place is adequate, but for what you pay (close to $2000) to stay on the water, expectations are justifiably high and Point Sebago does not rise to the occasion. You need to basically do your own cleaning upon arrival which is frustrating, found a colander of pasta in the oven from the last family, very nasty. Also we didn't receive "complementary" newspaper every day, apparently they don't have enough to distribute or that's what I was told when I called. You need to drop off your own trash daily and it's not walking distance. But anyway, there are some good things too. I think the point is that Point Sebago needs to reassess the quality of their product.

1  Thank BigCityLady
Reviewed August 21, 2010

They charge WAY too much for a double wide trailer that wasn't even cleaned before we checked in. There is only one A/C unit in the living area so if you sleep in the bedroom on the hard, plastic covered mattress then you sweat all night. Also it's a small bed so if there are 2 adults someone will end up sleeping on the awful futon in the living area. The public restrooms were filthy, the snack bar was ridiculously under staffed and there is a lot of riff raff (loud neighbors at night, obnoxious teenagers, etc) that really bring the place down. Super disappointed.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Jmwpa
Reviewed August 21, 2010

My parents brought us when we were kids. Since I had so many great memories, my husband and I started bringing our kids 7 years ago. We come an average of 3 times/summer. Every year we squat our site for Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend so we can camp with our friends (who also squat their site next to ours). Then sometimes we add a week (this year we were there for 4th of July week) or add the Halloween weekend, etc.
We are big fans of Point Sebago. However, I have to say that this year I saw that we had to BUY tickets to High School Musical if we wanted to see it. We were turned off BIG TIME. My husband nor I have no interest in seeing the show, but we'd have to fork over $ to buy tickets for the show in order for our kids to see it. I think that for all 5 of us to go it would have cost over $40. Really?!?! In all of the years we've been going to PS, I don't recall ever having to buy tickets to see a show by the staff. We did not go to the show!!! Other than that, the shows are good. The kids really enjoy them. The carnival is good too (& supports a great cause). Pirate cruise is entertaining too. It's better (& longer) than it used to be. It doesn't end when the boat docks...the kids like following the pirates and then getting some of the "treasure" (candy).
Also, it drives us crazy to register our bikes. There is no benefit from PS to register them. PS can say whatever it wants, but the truth of the matter is that there is no benefit. It's just an excuse to get a few more dollars. I don't mind paying for the rock climbing and bungee jump. Hamster ball is a rip off though. We haven't tried the zip line yet, but I heard it's $15. That one is way overpriced.
We are big fans of Tot Lot and Discovery Dynamo for the kids (the camps that run 9am-12pm & 1pm-4pm). All 3 of our kids have loved the camps. they're great especially if it's raining too because it gives them something to do.
The coupon books are pretty good too. Paying for the Hayride with Chippy is a rip off. I think that anyone with young kids who want to go on it should be able to. Our 3 year old is so disappointed when we can't get tickets for the hay ride. So not only do we have to pay for it, but we can't always get tickets for it.
The "newish" set of bathrooms are clean. However, they never have those heavy duty paper bath mats any more and those shower stalls need some kind of shelves to put items (like clothes) on it. Beaches are awesome. Nice and sandy. Very clean and lots of room for everyone. Even if it's busy.
Staff is very friendly and lots of staff remembers us year-to-year and visit-to-visit. That's nice.
I like getting the newspaper everyday. That's nice. And PS does a nice job picking up the trash on a regular basis each day.
I hope that P.S. doesn't continue to tack on more fees and additional charges for tickets (on top of the pricier cost) or else we may have to start new traditions at another campground.

1  Thank Amy1599
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casco
Hampton Inn Oxford
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Windham
Lakeview Inn
Lakeview Inn
#1 of 5 in Naples

Been to Point Sebago? Share your experiences!