“Just Okay, But Stay in an Owners Unit”
Review of Point Sebago

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Casco
Point Sebago
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Casco
Reviewed April 27, 2009

2 Adults and a 3 and 5 year old stayed in an owners( $900 )unit for 5 nights in July. I was curious about the real estate there and a rep. from the resort gave me a tour. No pressure at all. Since I requested the tour, they then gave me 3 nights unexpectedly in the mail in Sept. to stay 3 nights of Columbus Day weekend (Monte Carlo wknd)in a regular park home (Trailer). I took another Tour for 10 minutes and still no pressure.
This is not a time share presentation. There is no time limit etc. I asked for a tour...

The Owners Unit was so much better. Cleaner, Homier and you can get better deals through VRBO etc. Always try to rent through the owners.

The Unit that was Free (Trailer) was dirty for my standards but it was free.

My kids had a good time, but I can't justify buying one. The math doesn't work at all.
Personal choice. The fact that they are only 2 beds and limit the number of your guest to 6 to 8 people stinks.... You pay 150k plus $2400/yearly association fees and you can't even invite another family to your so called summer home. They can't even put up a tent in your yard....
Maybe this economy will change some of there policies.
The big one is the bike fee. $5 a bike fee. Crazy....

The lake is great, but my kids would still love a pool. The lake is clean but not that warm.
Take a look at the lake and see how many people are in it or just hanging on the sand.

The place needs an indoor or outdoor pool with Gym type club house to make it a resort...

I am glad I tried it and would like to go again but only if it was a deal. Why pay $2000 to $2500 after all the fees and activities when there are so many other vacation options..?

3  Thank tony137
There are newer reviews for Point Sebago

Reviewed January 11, 2009

Went because we had family there and it sounded beautiful, after checking online it looked great. We arrived early knowing that checkin wasn't until 3 p.m. but we had family already there (seasonal) lucky for us they had a golf cart and picked us up at the main office. We quickly learned that this place is big and if you do not have the luck of renting a golf cart put on comfortable shoes because everything is so spaced out, including the sites. If you have little ones and are walking back and forth to the beach, store, laundry mat and can get pretty tiring hauling everything by hand.
When we were able to bring our trailer camper to our site, we were soo very disappointed we have a 27' and the site are extremely small. The site we had booked was already occupied by a rv and they were already completely set up. others arrived (all belonging to this rv family) and were taking up the other sites in this circle, so we had to call the office and wait with lots of confusion for the staff to figure out what went wrong. The numbers of the sites were all off, so i insisted that I should get a pick within this circle after all we had booked well in advance and paid in full... what a nightmare that was...

Okay so we are set up and feel like lets starts enjoying well we had bad weather and did it pour, which left some seriously large pond size holes in our circle, my suv got stuck because it sunk in the mud.

Okay so the positive side lets see, the lake is the BEST, clean and enjoyable with a nice playground right on the beach that was great for the little ones.furnately for us we had family with a boat and was able to do water tubing and site seeing of the lake, the 4th beach party was pretty cool, played mini golf with our oldest (12), The outdoor cafe was great very reasonable prices for a quick lunch, then return to the water.
My husband and I did catch the hypnotist and enjoyed the very much, lots of laughing, differnately woiuld do that again, worth the money and one night without the kids (had a babysitter).

I do however agree about the golf carts, they are constantly racing by you, but you do need them to really enjoy all of the park problem is they sell out so quick they should only rent them for 1/2 week at a time to give others the opportunity for one. The security are truly very RUDE and you get the impression that if your not a seasonal you don't get nice treatment.

The park is extremely pricey, and you can take a family of four to disney for ehat you pay especially with all the extras needed.. The only reason that I may return again is it was nice to see family we haven't seen in quite a while, but if we are not able to rent a golf cart we might look else where this year, where it is enjoyable to walk around with the kids instead of having to carry the youngest from one point to another.

ALSO, and LAST STAFF REALLY SHOULD WORK ON THEIR PEOPLE PLEASING SKILLS INSTEAD OF TRYING TO RUN A VACATION LIKE A MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT

2  Thank kdesrosiers
Reviewed August 30, 2008

My family stayed at Point Sebago the last week of August. My wife and I are early 30s and our son is 7 years old.

Marina
We brought our 18' boat and were placed on a 16' slip. It was a little tight but manageable. There are several finger docks on both sides of the resort. Most of the marina area is very shallow - 3-5 feet deep. I thought the marina was a little expensive ($180 for 6 days) given what I already paid for the place. I was also charged a $20 Maine fee (not sure for what) - assuming it was some sort of park visitor registration fee. The marina was adequate - open daily, had a gas dock, and a boat launch. The boat launch is an open ramp with no dock on the other side of the cove. I will say that before I launched my boat I asked the boy at the marina if there was anything I needed to worry about. After being told no, I launched my boat and as I proceeding across the cove to my slip I ran aground. Sandy bottom so it was no big deal - but when I told him after the fact what had happened, he had mentioned "yeah you need to hug the docks".

Marina-Related
Overall we were glad we brought our boat. The lake was definitely the highlight. Directly across from the cove is Frye island where we had lunch at a tiki-style bar/restaurant (docking is free). Just around the corner is the entrance to the songo river - we took the trip (about 1.5 hours) up the river, through the locks (6 bucks), and up to Long lake. There is a bridge that you have to go under that opens on the hour - but with taking our bimini down we could fit underneath it (a pontoon boat did too). The river on the way to the lake is beautiful and nature abounds, but it does get shallow (3 feet in parts) and is all a no wake zone. There is also the best beach at the mouth of the songo on sebago lake. Large desert-sand peninsula with tons of boats rafted up. Hint - Avoid the lake side of the peninsula as it is extremely shallow (you can walk out into the lake for quite a ways). Enter the river by the marked channel and pull up on the backside of the peninsula. It is all sand as well and gets deep very fast (perfect for beaching a boat). This beach is a must do if you are going to have a boat.

"Camper Trailers"
The "camper trailer" is just that - a trailer. Very small, and packed pretty close to each other. We were in 778 (visit their website for a map). I was disappointed with the fire pit, as it was crammed between a few rocks, trees, and the trailer. Didn't have a whole lot of room around the trailer - we couldn't put up our screened tent or our tiki torches (the ground was all hard sandy gravel which inevitably tracked EVERYWHERE). Those that faced the water seemed to have more room. The trailer had a small deck, with picnic table. Ours was a "unequipped" trailer, so we had to bring sheets, silverware, pots, pans, etc., but it did come with A/C, coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, tv (rabbit ears), stereo (built in speakers in the ceiling) and gas stove. No real problems with the trailer since we weren't expecting a whole lot - at one point we had problems with the bathroom toilet and servicemen were there within 15 minutes of the call to fix it. I see a lot of negative reviews about the trailers, and I can see where they are coming from. Although it's a trailer, they get high traffic, and they turn them around in a matter of hours. So cleanliness is a step up from roughing it. Our expectation was "roughing it" only under a roof with a bed, and we expected a kids park, and we were fine. If you want quaint cabins on the lake - this place is not for you. My son LOVED the place. My wife and were content (again, thanks to the boat).

Entertainment
My son didn't do the day camps. He did do the nighttime "playhouse" 2 of the nights as we went to a comedian and karaoke nights. Comedians were HILARIOUS. Karaoke was okay. He loved the playhouse as they kept him entertained and watched a movie until 10:30 (a HUGE treat for him staying up that late), bringing sleeping bags and pillows. We also did the bbq welcome lunch. My son loved it and was singing the "camp songs" all week. The food was gross though - hot dogs and boiled bbq chicken. Too cafeteria style for my tastes. We skipped the other themed breakfasts, lunches, & dinner "shows" afterward because of this.

Food / Restaurant
Buffet breakfast was pretty good. And the pub food at the bar and restaurants was adequate. There was a "fine dining" menu which I didn't dare try, but I saw someone else's chicken marsala and it looked okay. Things still had a cafeteria style feeling to them though. I highly recommend Bray's Brew Pub on the way to Naples. I had really good salmon and my wife had a ribs and brisket platter fit for 2 people. Good beer too.

Fitness Center
Very nice. Played tennis. Also saw shuffle board, volleyball, basketball, etc.

Beaches
Groomed daily. Can't say enough about that. The cove really does have beautiful sand beaches. And they get packed during the day. Tons of people swimming, sunbathing, playing ladder ball.

I was surprised at the price of their units. Since it was "Family Fun" week (aka last week of summer), we booked a unit for $850 for 5 nights. I saw that during peak season (most of summer) the units were going for $2000+. I was okay spending what I did, but after the experience, I cannot imagine spending $2K. For me, it's just not worth it. Although somehow they book up (mostly NY & MA plates). I felt that they nickel and dimed a little too much. A $5 per bike registration fee after 850 for 5 nights and 180 in the marina? A little gaudy/tacky. Also, there is a 6 person limit per site - 4 adults & 2 children. I wanted my folks & sister who live in the area to come by one night for a bonfire but they were not allowed. Even though it would be 6 people, it would have been 5 adults. But I was told they were more than welcome to rent a tent site for the night for $49 and then they could visit. They really need to do something about this mentality. I understand the purpose, but they more or less ensured that my family will probably never come there (vs. an evening of free advertising). Petty.

Summary
My son wants to return. But my wife and I are on the fence. I felt that most of our fun came from non-resort activities, although a large portion of my son's fun was on premise. And their peak season pricing is tough to deal with, especially when I can take the family to Florida or hit a cruise for approximately the same price. We "may" return in the future, but it will definitely be on one of the Family Fun weeks again. Point Sebago - Stop the petty nickel and diming and fix some of your policies. With that said, you can't go wrong on Sebago Lake. Am happy to take any questions.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank MassIS300
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My husband and my two children stayed for 5 days the third week of August. Overall, my husband and I were rather disappointed. We've never been there but from the website thought we were going to a pretty good place. Couple of problems: Our "park home" aka: Trailer!, was very dirty. The floors had dirt and sand all over them. At first I just thought it needed as quick sweep, but then realized my sons socks were very dirty from walking around a short time w/out his shoes on. I don't think that floor had been mopped in quite some time! There was a smell of cleaning agents in the air when we arrived, however, it was very apparent that perhaps they were just sprayed into the air, because all surfaces around the trailer were in no way clean! So, we instantly feel grossed out, right from the get-go.... Other issues: The trailers are almost on top of each other! Your site campfire ring is usually facing the next trailers slider door. There are a lot of people everywhere and golf carts are flying around there everywhere you look. There are a lot of activities however many of them cost extra. If you are looking for crowded camping and want to be around a lot of people/action this may be the place for you. As for us, this was a lot of money to spend on a vacation with too many disappointments.

4  Thank Mages
Reviewed August 17, 2008

the security members at the resort were completely disrespectful. I am a licensed 18 year-old driver, making it completely legal for me to drive one of the golf carts we rented for the week. The security continued to target me for the entire week. I got "pulled over" and told i was 16. after i presented my license, the assistant manager came and told me that he heard my license was fake...? (why would i create a fake license to make me 18, why not 21???) he looked at the very real license with a flash light in broad daylight and then proceeded to follow me to my camper and take the golf cart away...after paying 200 dollars to rent it for the week. The assistant manager also claimed that on a certain night there were reports of me going off roading, driving over bushes and through campsites, i did NONE of those things, the golf cart was in perfect shape with no scratches and he said he had a witness that "had left the resort early"...meaning no witness. COMPLETE age discrimation and harrasment. He also told me to "shut the hell up" when i told him i'd like to speak to his witness. do not take your families here.

3  Thank montanabound23
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed here the last week in June. We arrived on a rainy Sat. morning and was not allowed to check in until 3:00. They make you park at a parking lot. If it was sunny we would have used the beach. There wasn't anything else to do but walk around and get firewood left behind by those who leave. Also we had to leave by the next Sat. or else you pay for a full week. We wanted to stay a couple more days but were not allowed unless you pay for the whole week. We were able to sneak in and set up our tent before 3:00. At 3:00 its like a race. Everyone is driving around looking for their campsite. what a jam. The good thing about being their that early was signing the kids up for the weeks activities. No line.
DO NOT PICK SITE 821. It was terrible. It was on a hill. When I made the reservations in March they only had two sites available. This is their pick for the best. It poured for two days and we had a stream going through our tent.Good tent sites are 819,822,824,817,823,825.

It has a playground and water sprinklers that the kids like. The kids activities are run by teenagers who I saw at one point playing roughly with each other that the next day she had a sling on.

We rented a boat for the day. $200(30% off w/t coupon) for 8hrs.
Was a nice day until the boat got stuck in reverse. They did a great job of bringing a better boat and waived the gas fee. Their aren't many places to stop. no public beaches or islands for the kids to play in water.

We also did the Pirate cruise($42). it was fun for kids under 8. Many didn't get their jokes but i was laughing.

Activities outside the resort not many.
Childrens Musuem in Portland-$7 admission Very good. All sorts of pretend play. The kids enjoyed it.

Hiking- drove to Bridgton past shawnee ski resort on mountain rd to Ledges. 1.1 mile hike overlookink lakes and mountains. our kids 7,5,4 enjoyed the hike.

Naples Lobster Pound -It was ok but not great.

Tony's Umbrella store- not far from the campground bought cheap wine $3 and $4.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank zack728
Reviewed July 29, 2008

we went there from a recommendation on line but found that you had to pay for most extra activities. We saw a hypnotist that we had to pay $10 a ticket for. We saw him at another campground for free. He was the best of the entertainment. and for a CG that says it has professional entertainers, except for the hypnotist who had a very clean act, I did not find this to be the case. The place was dirty and the bathrooms smelly and seemed not to be cleaned for a while. Food was OK. this is definitely a drinking crowd, to which we are not.

2  Thank camperfamily5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casco
Hampton Inn Oxford
Poland Spring Resort
Poland Spring Resort
#1 of 1 in Poland Springs
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Windham

Been to Point Sebago? Share your experiences!