“Shhh. Keep this one secret.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Captain's - CLOSED

The Captain's
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: A simple search engine inquiry will get you more information. I've been vacationing in Maine for 30 years - and this is and always has been my favorite. Simple home made seafood and other entrees. Owner/Operator (Ruth) is renowned for her fresh baked rolls and Blueberry Pie. Reviewed by Coastal Living a few years ago.
Vienna
“Shhh. Keep this one secret.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I spend a week (or two when I can) in Cape Porpoise Maine every summer in August. The Captain's is quintessential Maine's small restaurant. Small and cozy, the menu offers only fresh and local ingredients. The 1 1/2 lb. Baked Stuffed Lobster is over the top - stuffed with a delicious cracker crumb stuffing chock full of scallops, shrimp, and lobster meat. But, that's not to take away from the other lobster offerings. The fried and broiled fish entrees are superb as well. I eat there a couple of time each season and alternate the lobster with the swordfish - my other favorite.

Ruth, the owner (chief cook and bottlewasher) is supported by an all star cast of wait-persons who all seem to be teachers or educators along with Ruth. Ruth servers as the Bakery Chef as well and is responsible for the State of Maine's best blueberry pie; and the signature Bumbleberry Pie (ask about it - it defies mere words to describe).

The Captain's is a BYOB restaurant - so be prepared; or arrive a little early and stop at Bradburry Brother's (just next door) to grab that bottle of wine or beer or spirits you want to accompany your dinner.

One other new item to note is that the Captain's is a Cash (or Check) place. No Plastic. (but again there is a small ATM at Bradbury Brothers.

Again - please keep this sort of between us. I don't want to have to wait to get seated. They do take reservations however. When you go - tell them John and Will from Virginia sent you!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank jhf0924

Rockford, Michigan
“Must have cash or check's!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We tried this restaurant as we were driving around the Kennebunkport area. After tiring of seafood, my son and I tried a burger and fries. The burgers were fine but small and left my son looking for more food! After an average quality meal totaling $80.00, we were surprised to find that this restaurant does not accept credit cards or debit cards, only cash or personal checks. We were a bit panicked since we had neither cash or checks with us. We were told to walk down the street to an ATM at a market. We did this and paid the bill, but still are amazed that a restaurant in a resort town does not accept credit cards or debit cards. This is not on the menu or displayed in the restaurant. Though out of the crowds of Kennebunkport, it's not worth the trip unless you carry large amounts of cash. I also observed people bringing their own bottles of wine in, so I assume they do not have a liquor license.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank bullseye1234
“Family friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been coming to the Captains in Cape Porpoise for many years with my family. The kid friendly and family atmosphere is great, why wouldn't it be since all of the waitresses are school teachers. I noticed that they know most of the patrons when they walk through the door and greet them with a hello and smile. As far as the food goes they do uphold the seafood tradition that Maine is known for. My,suggestion is to order anything labeled with the Captains, this means it is one of their specialties that I can tell you will not disappoint.

• Visited July 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Great seafood restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I found this restaurant with my GPS. It is a small restaurant in a small town called Cape Porpoise, between Old Orchard and Ogunquit. The sign says that it’s in business since a long time (1940 or so), wich tell a lot in my opinion.

It’s a BYOB and there is a small market nearby to buy a bottle of wine. The place was full and we had to wait maybe ½ an hour to be seated but it was worth it (it only seats about 30 people or so). While waiting I met with a women that told me she was coming here every year and enjoyed this place.

The menu is almost all seafood related (Dah!). My girlfriend and my daughter had a lobster witch they enjoyed a lot. I had a lobster roll wich was great too. The waitress was very kind and helpful. The prices were ok for this time of the year (high season).

Visited August 2013
W. Hartford, CT
“Prices ok but fried food lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We usually eat here every year. This year, the fried clams and fried shrimp were just average. I didn't finish them, very unusual for me. Another order of stuffed lobster was quite good, but at $34, a bit overpriced. We did get a reservation for twelve people, not easy to do in this town.

• Visited August 2012