“Great Food”

Cape Porpoise Chowder House
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This place has been around for 40 years at the end of Pier Roiad in Cape Porpoise , Maine
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Great Food”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Loved the food and the ambiance. Will definitely come back. Amazing bisque. Nicely upscale. This place was recommended to us and we were not let down. Outdoor seating has a nice view too.

Hingham, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food and sunser”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Outdoor eating, fresh sea food, draft beer and a spectacular sunset. What more could you ask? Dogs are welcome.

Benicia, California
“It Doesn't Get Any Better”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I will use almost any excuse to get up to the Cape Porpoise Chowder House during the summer months. I go specifically to get their fried clams, which, in a word, are extraordinary. I've really not had anything like them anywhere else. The location is gorgeous, particularly on a sunny day. It doesn't get any better!!!

• Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“yum”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Fresh lobsters right out of the trap slapped on a plate with butter ready to inhale! Nothing better...or is that bettah?

Congers, New York
“Good, casual lunch - fresh seafood”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I recently ate lunch here during our trip to Maine. Overall, this was an okay stop, but didn't necessarily find it to be anything special.

SERVICE: You place and pay for your order inside, and then are given a number to place on a table of your choosing as you wait for your food. The woman behind the counter was not particularly friendly, but I couldn't say she was rude, either. I guess you might call her efficient - in a "give us your order and move on, we don't have time for chit chat" kind of way. The food was delivered to our table after about a 10 minute wait. You bus your own table at the end of the meal. That was about the extent of the service.

FOOD: The food was very good and fresh, as (I hope) was evidenced by the lobster man we watched unloading his haul for the day on the next dock. I had the lobster roll, which was good, but a little on the skimpy side. My husband tried the fried clams, which were delicious and extremely tender.

ATMOSPHERE: On a nice day, there are picnic tables set up on the dock where you can sit and eat. This lends to a very relaxed and tranquil dining environment. There are a couple of tables inside, but this is not the type of place you would want to come to do that -- it hasn't been updated in forever, and is very, very basic. It is a lobster shack, after all.

VALUE: I thought that lobster shacks in general were going to be cheaper than this, but we didn't find this to be the case in Maine. The meal cost us about $35 for lunch, which, given the fact that the service was basically non-existent, we thought was pretty expensive for what it was. But, it didn't seem to be out of line with what we found in other lobster shacks in Maine. Maybe we just didn't travel far enough off the beaten tourist path?!?

Overall, this is an okay place for lunch. I can't imagine that anything is bad (at least it's fresh), and overall it was pretty good. I can't say that I would be running back any time soon or dreaming about the lobster roll I had there, but I did leave satisfied.

• Visited September 2013