“Overpriced but absolutely wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Cape Neddick
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Kansas City, MO
“Overpriced but absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

I found the proprietor friendly and engaging. The Wild Maine Blueberry, though pricey at $25, was the best blueberry pie I've ever eaten. Indeed, in Sept, 2006 when I visited this establishment, every pie was $25. Sometimes you just have to suspend your sense of frugality and splurge. I was on vacation from Missouri and vacation $$$'s and calories don't count! I can't vouch for any other pie flavor, but I'd buy the blueberry again in a NY minute!

Baltimore, MD
“Just like Maine - overpriced and underwhelming”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

One of the countless slogans I saw along roadsides on my recent trip to Maine (my very first, btw) was the following: "Maine - The Way Life Should Be." Well, after a very uninspiring visit to the Pie in the Sky on my way to York Beach, I think this bakery should adjust that slogan to say "Maine - The Way Life Really Is," which is to say overpriced, underwhelming and pretty rude.

My wife and I happened to be driving along Route 1 and were looking for a cup of coffee and stopped at a country store where the clerk was as grumpy and annoyed as you would expect from maybe a New York shopkeeper. Anyway across the street was this cool-looking little country bakery - the Pie in the Sky - and we thought we'd stop in and get a muffin.

The Pie in the Sky is a neat looking establishment, an old-time kitchen built into the side of an old New England home. Unfortunately looks can be deceiving, and the charm stops at the door. My wife and I went inside and were greeted by two women diligently making pies. A warm and old school kind of scene, my wife commented what a neat place and that the two seemed liked "artists." She was greeted with numbing silence. Okay, so much for the charm. We figured we'd try something - maybe the food trumped the lack of personality. So we got two muffins - $3.00 apiece for a couple of absolutely normal-sized muffins. Well, maybe they were so good they were worth price. We bade our very charming hosts goodbye (they ignored us, naturally) and $6.00 lighter we took our treasure muffins and drove to York Beach to look over the ocean and eat them.

Of course the end of the story is that muffins were absolutely nothing special - quite mediocre. Strike three.

Ah, insulted, overcharged and totally unimpressed - truly the way life should be. Indeed the thought of finding someone kind and something special these days, even in supposedly charming old Maine, is nothing more than pie in the sky.

9 Thank BronxMiddleMan