“Good for special night out”
Review of Clay Hill Farm

Clay Hill Farm
Reserve with OpenTable
Clay Hill Farm is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Cape Neddick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Clay Hill Farm is the first restaurant in the country to be certified as a wildlife habitat and bird sanctuary. Nature trails, colorful garden paths, waterfalls and a picture-perfect pond accentuate the eleven private acres just two miles from Ogunquit Village. Voted #1 for weddings and romantic dining. With a passion for backyard growing and locally-sourced fare, Clay Hill Farm is committed to offering the true Maine experience, yer 'round. Clay Hill Farm is also a proud corporate sponsor of the Ogunquit Playhouse, and offers it's own blend of experiential, theatrical dining in the off-season- rounding out a commitment to arts in the community. Theatrical Dining performances include; POE: Tales of Fear & Suspense (Oct/Nov), Dinner with Dickens: A Christmas Carol-A New Musical Tale (Dec) and Robert Frost: Fire & Ice (Jan).
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a good dining experience at Clay Hill Farms. We booked a four course meal through our B&B and glad we did since this place can get quite pricey. Between the valet, tips for the pianist, bartender, waiter and the food itself, it is quite an expensive evening. The ambiance is upscale and romantic, but not pretentious and stuffy. I saw many patrons wearing jeans. The service was a bit slow, but attentive and friendly. We started with drinks and had a strawberry rhubarb martini and a Long Island iced tea. The martini was phenomenal and fresh, but the Long Island was so-so. Later we ordered a blueberry martini and a jack and coke, both of which were very good. For our first course we had crab salad served from their Sunday night smoke and fire menu and whiskey smoked shrimp cocktail. Both were very good, the crab salad having fresh peaches in it which added a crunchy slightly sweet element. Second course was ½ grilled romaine heart and a seasonal salad which featured figs, goat cheese and cashews. The salads where seriously phenomenal! The romaine heart was grilled to perfection and tasted almost like steak! The seasonal salad was also mouth watering. For the third course I had the ahi tuna with parsnip puree drizzled with 20 year old balsamic and truffle oil. Let me tell you it was SO GOOD. My husband had the prime rib with mashed potatoes, green beans and a popover. He felt the prime rib was average and the mashed potatoes (which I tried) were a little bland and dry. It wasn’t awful, but his meal was definitely a letdown after such a good start. Our fourth course was crème brulee spiked with grand marnier and a chocolate brownie ice cream sundae. Both desserts were very good, but the crème brulee didn’t have any grand marnier flavor I could distinguish. The restaurant seems to attract an older crowd and I assume a lot of that has to do with the old time upscale charm of yesteryear as well as the high prices that most youngsters can’t really afford. We sadly did not get to enjoy the grounds as we arrived at dusk, but the view from the window we sat by was nice. I would recommend this place for a special occasion.

1  Thank Inferno2727

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our first time there-- went with another couple. We went on a weekday in early September- had no trouble getting a 6:30 reservation.
Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable, and answered all our questions about the menu and wine list.
The entrees are reasonably sized, and were prepared exactly to our order. My prime rib was very good!
The bill for the four of us, with tip, came to just under $300.

clayhillfarm, Owner at Clay Hill Farm, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Clay Hill Farm with our online community. In our effort to provide the very best in food and service, we value your feedback, and look forward to your return. Fall is such a beautiful time of year in Maine, and we are so grateful for our natural surroundings. Our loyal year 'round staff is a blessing, and we are honored by their continued professionalism. Thank you for choosing Clay Hill Farm for your dining experience, it will be a pleasure to see you again.
Best,
-Clay Hill Farm

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I suppose that every restaurant has a bad day, but my experience was pretty good! I went to the One-man-show "King Henry the VIII" dinner last night. They rotate between different shows every few months. My date had Lobster with Shrimp and I had London Broil/Prime rib with Mash potatoes and Carrots. She told me that her dinner was pretty good, and mine melted in my mouth. The rolls were fresh baked and soft with commercially made butter that tasted pretty good as if it was home made. With the creamy horse radish the Prime Rib was probably among the best that I ever had -- including that from which I had in London but it did need a little salt and pepper for my taste. Although I now realize that King Henry is probably not my cup of tea, the actor was a good singer and obviously professionally trained. So as to not interrupt the performance -- the waiters would only come in to the room between acts, so if you might want an extra drink you better order two or expect a long wait until the next break. The dinner "theater" room is separate from the other more beautiful dining rooms, and the lighting was very poor for a professional actor. It was not worthy of his performance. Many of the well thought out facial expressions of the actor was lost in all the shadows and could not be appreciated until he walked around the tables and came within 5 feet of where I was sitting. Maybe the lighting was done so on purpose to add to the theme; that being King Henry is speaking to you from the dead, and you first meet him while he is taking a leak in his Privy. Both subjects of which could be appropriately demonstrated in the dark. There was some comedy, a fair amount of singing, and lots of dramatic dialog; some of which a bit disturbing for dinner. I am glad that we only started with drinks rather than the main course. I was buzzed enough on one sidecar (mostly from hunger) to not get too tangled up into the emotional complexities of the character who obviously had relationship issues. So I would have given this place a 5 rather than a 4 if it took its venue for performance more seriously with better lighting, and if they had more tables for two. They could easily do this by separating the 5 table strip in the middle of the room, but since this is a community dining theater experience you will generally sit with 4 -6 other dinners on one table. And also I would prefer valet car tickets as well, because sometimes cars just look a like. At this time you give someone your key and then you hope that they remember you and your car when you leave. I have never seen that before except at a high end strip club in Vegas where everyone seemed to know your name on your first visit. Just kidding... or maybe not...

So glad you enjoyed your recent experience at Clay Hill Farm. Thank you for your review. The unique intimacy of our dinner theatre has been well received, and we appreciate your support of the local arts. We will certainly address your lighting concerns in the Veranda, and are grateful for your feedback.
We loved hearing that the Prime Rib, "...was probably among the best that I ever had!" Thank you! We use only the finest cut of beef available, and have been proud to offer hormone-free, antibiotic-free beef to our dining community.
We hope you will continue to enjoy our Clay Hill Farm Presents... series, and look forward to seeing you at the next show; POE: Tales of Mystery and Suspense, returning in October.
Again, thank you for sharing your positive experience.
Best,
-Clay Hill Farm

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I must agree w/JohnB + BahamaMBoston. This had been our special place to go for over 20 years. Back then it was special w/excellent service & food. We went last night for our 35th anniversary and were so disappointed. We were early, seated right away, but our wait person was all by herself and didn't pay attention to us until we mentioned it to one of her helpers. She did come by but you could tell she was upset at us for that. We both had appetizers, crab cakes + escargot, shared a salad + DH had prime rib + I had haddock. The haddock had a funny almost metallic taste, like it wasn't fresh but was frozen? Veggies were just OK, food not really warm. This place is now for weddings and bus tours/coupon people who wear dungarees, shorts, flip flops, etc. We were overdressed with decent clothes! Such a shame to no longer be a special dining place, especially when paying over $130! It is however still a beautiful location and the birds are wonderful.

1  Thank thurstonbb
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Celebrated our anniversary here on 9/14. Only reservation available was 5:30. When we arrived the hostess was flustered and took 10 minutes to figure out where to seat us. There many empty tables which remained empty when we left at 7:30 pm. Soup was cold. Haddock overpriced. My husbands prime rib was horrible! Our server was very nice. White trash wedding going on in the Verandah room - camouflage and beer cans! Lights burned out in chandeliers. Crooked paintings on wall looked shabby. Won't be back! Too bad. Used to be my in-laws favorite place.