“Fabulous Food”
Review of Clay Hill Farm

Clay Hill Farm
Reserve with OpenTable
Clay Hill Farm is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Cape Neddick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Clay Hill Farm is the first restaurant in the country to be certified as a wildlife habitat and bird sanctuary. Nature trails, colorful garden paths, waterfalls and a picture-perfect pond accentuate the eleven private acres just two miles from Ogunquit Village. Voted #1 for weddings and romantic dining. With a passion for backyard growing and locally-sourced fare, Clay Hill Farm is committed to offering the true Maine experience, yer 'round. Clay Hill Farm is also a proud corporate sponsor of the Ogunquit Playhouse, and offers it's own blend of experiential, theatrical dining in the off-season- rounding out a commitment to arts in the community. Theatrical Dining performances include; POE: Tales of Fear & Suspense (Oct/Nov), Dinner with Dickens: A Christmas Carol-A New Musical Tale (Dec) and Robert Frost: Fire & Ice (Jan).
Ogunquit, Maine
“Fabulous Food”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have eaten here twice and both times the food was wonderfully prepared and presented. Local fresh local ingredients used. Great portions. I had the prime rib and had a good size piece that was cooked to,perfection. Lobster Bisque was seasoned just right. Service terrific. A great experience. Looking forward to going again!
I have also attended their performances which make for a great evenings entertainment including dinner.

“Horrible”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Extremely overprice for what you get... The prime rib was terrible... A horrible cut, and may I say small, cut?... My husband's prime rib was totally underdone... and the server had the nerve to ask if 'he wanted to take that small piece home'? that small piece was his entire cut! I too had been here a couple times in the past and enjoyed it... however, this time, no way... will not be going back there.

3 Thank kcarr45726
clayhillfarm, Owner at Clay Hill Farm, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We sincerely apologize for your recent disappointment, and are quite concerned about your experience as we strive to offer the very best in food and service. Prime Rib is among the most popular entrees in the restaurant, and we consistently receive positive feedback from our nightly comment cards confirming its quality. We monitor our nightly comment cards closely and cannot find a comment card that reflects this incident, so your online post caught us off guard. Our staff and chef are also kept abreast of customer comments, as feedback is an important tool for continued improvement. We are curious if you mentioned to the server that you were displeased with your dinner, as we would most certainly have done our best to correct it to your satisfaction. Were you, perhaps, taking advantage of our Prime Rib special for $19.95? That would account for a smaller portion (8 oz). We purchase the very best beef in the business and are proud of its quality, but from many years in the restaurant business, we know done-ness is often subjective. Our staff is very sensitive to this fact, and would have been happy to bring you a new piece of Prime Rib if they knew you were unhappy. While the server asking if you would like to take your dinner home is not unusual, our server not responding to your being unhappy, would be. We are further disappointed to hear that you have had enjoyable experiences with us in the past, but will now not return. We do hope you will reconsider, and will join us for an evening of dining worthy of praise.
Massachusetts
“The Chef Must Have Called In Sick”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I should begin by saying I have been here several times before, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This time was very disappointing. Ten minutes after ordering our drinks, the server told my husband they didn't have what he asked for. We then waited another ten minutes for our drinks. I had the lobster bisque, which was delicious, but was probably only about a half cup of liquid, with a few pieces of fresh lobster. My husband had the tomato and mozzarella salad, which consisted of a few small cut up cherry tomatoes with tiny squares of mozzarella. My haddock entree was very small and flavorless, with burnt panko breadcrumbs on top, and a lemon zest risotto, which was equally flavorless. My husband enjoyed his salmon, but left hungry. I have to believe it was just a bad night in the kitchen, but it was an expensive one for us, and I won't be rushing back any time soon.

2 Thank parisgal60
Wilmington, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gotta Go Here!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

On a back road, far from the hustle and bustle lies a quaint farm turned gourmet restaurant. Only a hop, skip and jump from the Ogunquit Playhouse, Clay Hill is a sight to behold inside and out, the grounds are maticulously maintained, without destroying the "old Maine farm" feel, except the cows no longer graze there.
Inside, an intimate piano bar greets the guests, and they are treated as guests, not customers. But the "Maine" reason for going to Clay Hill is the food!
Not my first time, certainly not my last time dining at Clay Hill.
Often restaurants boast an "all new menu".
Clay Hill Farm has a never ending, evolving choice of seasonal delights, often using fresh ingredients straight from the grounds of the farm! This week, the menu was based on the edible flowers to be found in their gardens. The chef blends these into a lavish collection which renders one nearly unable to choose - you need to try them all!

Medford, Massachusetts
“Excellent food but small portions”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The service was excellent and the food exceptional. Portion sizes were very small and we were very disappointed by this.

1 Thank wbc25