“Fun place to stop.”

Flo's Steamed Hot Dogs
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Cape Neddick
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Good hot dog. I never had one with mayo and Flo's special relish. Always saw cars in the parking area and along the side of the road. I decided I needed to find out why. I'm glad I stopped but I think I would have to say it's just a good hot dog. I didn't see what everyone was raving about but that's what reviews are for. To each his own.

There are newer reviews for Flo's Steamed Hot Dogs

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Whenever my wife and I are in Maine on vacation ( annually ) one of the "go to" places is this tiny hot dog stand on Hwy 1 out in the middle of nowhere. Flo's daughter-in-law is a wonderful woman who doesn't take any guff from customers. She has that confidence in her time-tested menu that she can she will tell you what you want. Once she even tried to talk me out of ordering a Moxie soda ( it will interfere with the taste of the relish ). The place has the best vibes of any restaurant.....certainly any fast food restaurant.......in Maine. The hot dogs are good, but I would easily pay twice the amount for the legendary relish. I always buy a couple of jars to take home to Kansas City. I can't imagine a trip to Maine or Portsmouth, without stopping by.

2  Thank Kristy F
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I'm local and drive by all the time. I grew up eating hot dogs with celery salt and relish because that's how my Dad did it so what could be the big deal? It's very small, cash only and parking is limited. I always thought it was a tourist trap and who wants to stop anywhere on the way to the beach? Not me. But boy oh boy those dogs are addictive! You should order more than one and try the house special with mayo, celery salt and relish. Sooooo good! As annoying as the wait and parking can be, just think of it as an interesting happy experience listening to the chatter of visitors from all over the world excited for their hot dog. It's worth it! I've heard the new owner is nicer than than the original "Flo". I can see how I would never attempt this on a busy day with small hungry children. Stressful. One house special hot dog was a little over $2. I will be pulling over any time I can manage from now on! Opened 11am - 3pm, closed on WED.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Gotta stop here if you are in the area between 11:00 am and 3 PM except on Wednesdays when they are closed. Get at least two dogs per person and standing in line is part of the experience.

1  Thank chadz52
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Closed on Wednesdays, But a trip to southern Maine is not complete without a stop for a "flo dog" Don't be put off by the looks from the outside or the line out the door, it's take-out and tiny, but worth the wait! When Gail looks at you for your order, all she wants to know is how many dogs, NOT what you want on them or anything else, your dogs are steamed to order. when you do get to the point of what you want on them, there is only one way,,,,,mayo and "hot sauce" this will also include a sprinkle of celery salt. Flo's "hot sauce" is not hot at all, it's an onion relish and so popular that they go through 100lbs of onions a week to make it. (probably more now) Remember, MAYO AND SAUCE. It's how the locals have them and for a good reason!!! Gail who owns and runs flo's is Flo's daughter. I remember flo, she may be gone but never forgotten!

1  Thank ALHarding