“Food that Loves You Back”

Frankie & Johnny's Natural
Ranked #5 of 15 Restaurants in Cape Neddick
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Food that Loves You Back”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Our "favoritest" restaurant in the York, Maine area! We've been going to Frankie & Johnny's for many years and we have never been disappointed. Johnny is a gourmet cook who never skimps on quality. He uses organic herbs and vegetables from his own garden and his dishes are always creative and beautifully prepared. Leave room for dessert too because they are scrumptious. Frankie and Johnny's is a BYOB and they do not accept credit cards. Reservations are recommended because word has gotten around the area that the food is so wonderful. A word to those who would be tempted to drive by because the building isn't - uh what you'd expect - DON'T! Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to one of the best meals you'll ever have. I just can't say enough for this place (and I hope I haven't edged myself out of a reservation for this week-end).

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank NickelleSarasota

York Beach, Maine
“Wow”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Wow! We have driven by this place for years, but decided to try it after all the rave reviews. Do Not be deterred by the exterior - the food is to die for. My husband and I ate there for my birthday, and we had the lobster purses - the best thing I have ever had in my mouth. He had the pork tenderloin with pear sauce - loved it. I had the stuff
haddack, and there was a whole lobster in there, I swear. We brought half of our salad home and half of our entrees home, so the price was really for two dinners. We sent our daughter and husband there for mother's day the next weekend, and they were as enthusiatic as we were. I hate to encourage people as I would love to be able to get in as often as we would like, but I have to give them a platium award as the Boston Channel did - Loved it!

• Visited May 2011
3 Thank berkshirejean
Portland, ME
“Great food, Fun Service, Relaxed Atmosphere. A quiet gem awaiting your arrival.”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

After hearing numerous friends rave about Frankie & Johnny's, a group of us decided to have dinner last night at this hidden gem on Route 1 in Cape Neddick. Needless to say, we were pleasantly impressed! Items ordered were Lobster Purses (appetizer), Veal Chop, Chicken Picatta, Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo, and the special of the night: Stuffed Tostada "Tower", of which I had the pleasure of enjoying.
Where do I even begin on the Tostada?! It was nothing short of a feast for the eyes, both in dimension and color, standing close to 6” tall. One doesn't normally see a dish look this beautiful, as all too often we're used to piles of starch, vegetable, and meat in their own respective quadrants. Stacked high with sumptuous layers of spinach, white bean puree, quinoa, avocado, and topped with a sage toned tofu dip, the dish was accompanied by a delightful sea of roasted squash and zucchini in a tomato consomme. Presented with dots of sriracha dancing around the rim of the plate, the flavor profile is so expansive one must take the time to enjoy and dissect every bite. Each layer proves to be a treat to the senses. If you've ever had a quandary of cutting into a wedding cake or have experienced the fragile moment of nibbling the ear of a chocolate Easter bunny, you always ask yourself what to do first. Such was the case with the tower!

Some items of note:
The restaurant has been in business for just over 20 years, and it clearly shows that they know what they're doing. Everything is made from scratch that day, including the pasta, which borders on a meal in and of its own. Portions are very large, so don't fill up on the homemade rolls. The establishment is BYOB; don't feel awkward bringing in beer, wine, or a traveling martini kit (hey...it's been done!). Reservations are highly recommended as the dining room is more of an intimate size with a rustic bohemian flare – you won't see any white table linens here! Please note that since plastic is not natural, you won't be able to pay with a credit card – this is a CASH ONLY establishment. Take your time and enjoy your meal...don't rush through it. If you plan on visiting in the summer time, either before or after a show at The Ogunquit Playhouse or a trip to the beach, bear in mind that Route 1 traffic can be a bit hectic at times, so be patient and plan accordingly. You will NOT be disappointed with Frankie & Johnny's!

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank Jason L
Huntington, Vermont
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed October 1, 2010

WOW! We loved this place. Party of 5 came in on a windy rainy night in Oct. and were wowed by the food. The soup - a pumpkin curry was a smash hit with our table. Also, if you get a salad, don't miss out on the blueberry dill dressing - to die for. The salad had a great mix of grilled veggies and flavors. Scampi was yummy as was the goat cheese salad. It's a BYOB. A little pricey but good, fresh food and HUGE portions. Good for Vegetarians and Vegans, but lots of seafood and meat options too.

York Beach, Maine
“no table manners???”
Reviewed September 21, 2010

we made our reservation,for after Ogunquit Playhouse,we are locals who come a few times a year,love the food,due to traffic we arrived 5 0r ten minutes late,were told we were 45 minutes late,and we could eat there,but were told in a very scolding tone,the next party was due in,and if we ate hastily we could do it,as we checked our watch,and knew we were not that late we decided to do it,and we were hurried along,felt like I was in race,then after deciding to take most of my food home,we were told that if we wanted dessert we had plenty of time,need I say more.............the food is awesome,the server needs to evaluate her attitude,we won`t be back

2 Thank crabbyjan