“Beautiful Inn - will definitely stay again!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Inn By the Sea
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cape Elizabeth
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Beautiful Inn - will definitely stay again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent one night at the Inn by the Sea, but we will definitely return and plan to stay longer next time.

When we first arrived, we were greeted by Marc, who checked us in. He was very warm and gracious. He asked us if we wanted to dine at Sea Glass (the Inn's restaurant) and when we told him that we were going to head to Portland to have dinner, he made suggestions and even called to make reservations for us. He also went online to see if there were any shows going on at area theaters.

After checking in, we were shown to our room and shown how to use the gas fireplace. The room was beautiful!! It was comfortable and spotless. I agree with other reviewers who said that you would never know that dogs were allowed at the Inn. There was no sign of them at all. Anyway, the gas fireplace was so nice, as was the comfortable bed and beautiful decorations and furniture. The bathroom was gorgeous, and huge! The shower was beautifully tiled, and there was plenty of room to get ready, with the double bowl vanity and wall length mirror. Turndown service included soft chocolate chip cookies - a very nice treat!

We ate at Sea Glass the next morning and both of us enjoyed our food and view very much. Our server was warm and friendly, as was each staff member that we encountered. I would especially like to thank Eva St. Pierre, Front Desk Manager. Originally, I had booked my stay for December, but due to a family illness, I was unable to go. Eva allowed helped me to rebook my trip and was very understanding and kind when I explained my situation.

For all of these reasons, I can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

My fiance and I have just spend our second Valentine's Day at the Inn. It just gets more comfortable each time we go. The staff is extremely helpful and courteous and pay attention to detail. I can't comment enough on how clean the Inn is inside and out! You would never know that it is a dog friendly establishment as there is NO odor or hair! The food was very good and served hot, but not what I would call gourmet. The spa is small but has all the amenities you could ask for, fabulous shower, good steam room and the massage was great! Go for it!
We met some wonderful couples at the bar and are looking to make plans to meet up again in the spring. This time I am going to stay in the cottage!
All in all, very friendly, very clean, nice atomosphere and will definitely go again and maybe even bring the pooch!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

Very nice stay..enjoyed the gas fireplace in a traditional room that had a great view of the ocean. the Sea glass restaurant was excellent. since it was bitter cold we only took a short walk down the board walk to the beach. Nice place to relax and only short drive to Portland. Only complaints were the bed wasn't that comfortable and the bathroom floor was freezing cold.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

Friendly welcome, lovely room. Felt valued - spa a bit costly

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

The staff--from check in to check out--were warm and friendly. Our room, #202 the King Spa Suite, had what we gathered must be one of the better views to the water. The bed was comfortable but for such a recent renovation it was not exactly dreamy as some others I have slept in.

Our room, and the entire inn's decor, was what I could call "corporate comfortable". This is more like a small hotel than an inn. Come if you don't mind standardized as there's little to no charm.

However, we would gladly return here as the amenities and the location are just what we were looking for in our weekend get-away. The big soaking tubs, the spa, and beach access were all conveniences that we were looking for and the IBTS delivered.

Our first night and first morning we ate in their dining room, the Sea Glass, but after that we sought out other spots in Portland (definitely go to Fore Street). The food was fairly standard, with the exception of the eggs Benedict. They were awful. Swimming in a sea of sauce. But everything was else I would rate a solid good. And best of all, for being located in an inn (captive audience), it was reasonably priced.

The only spa services we indulged in were massages and my recommendation would be if you are interested in any deep tissue work, ask specifically for Sue. She was outstanding. Unfortunately, I cannot say that for the others. It was a mixed bag in that regard--so definitely book in advance for Sue.

We were there in the off season but had fantastic weather and every morning we enjoyed walking the beach and exploring the neighboring state park trails. The Inn allows dogs and it was a great treat, even though we were not traveling with our own, to be able to see the dogs romping out on the lawn each day.

The Inn claims something like "where luxury comes naturally" and they do make an attempt at being "green" but in my opinion could go much further. Recycling, linens, laundry detergent, landscaping, etc.

Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at Inn By the Sea and we honestly could not find one thing wrong with the place!

The property is located on what looks to be a private beach only a 2 minute walk down a wooded path. We booked a room with a fire place which was very nice and kept us toasty all night. The room looked like it was decorated straight out of the Pottery Barn catalog. The front desk helped us with directions and suggestions to the downtown Portland area which is only 10 minutes away and great for shopping.

We also ate dinner in the Sea Glass restaurant, which was very good. I asked for my dish to be customized a bit and the chef was happy to accommodate me and made a few suggestions for me as well. We also sat in the lounge area after dinner by the fire place and enjoyed some wine. very romantic atmosphere!!

There was no detail overlooked throughout the whole hotel, from our room to the outdoor grounds. One other thing I want to note is that this is a dog friendly hotel, but you would never know it, the rooms were spotless and there was no trace of any doggie oder. We did not travel with our dog this time but will be sure to bring her next time!

we will be sure to return!

Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

From the time we arrived, the staff were consistently friendly and helpful. Maybe a little more helpful than I might have liked, it sometimes felt like they were hovering. But that's me, and I doubt it is an issue for many people. We stayed in a spa suite, it was terrific, and very large. The shower room alone could have slept the whole family (who, thankfully were not in attendance on this trip). The bathroom floor was heated, a new experience for my country bumpkin self. I liked it.

The bedroom was very nice, but I would say lacked for drawer space. The slightly odd dresser had two drawers, each about 16 inches deep. Good for piling things up, I suppose, but not all that practical for me. Bedding was decent but not what one might anticipate for a top flight sort of place like this. Towels in the bathroom were exceptionally nice, very large and extra thick.

The in-room kitchenette was adequate and had some really nice wine glasses. It also featured a slightly odd coffee maker that took a little getting used to, but they supplied what was hands down the best in-room coffee I have ever had. I'm a coffee geek and usually bring my own, but that was not needed at this place. Coffee packets from a local coffee-phile shop called Coffee by Design were exceptionally good. I forgot to pocket the extra one on my way out, maybe I should call them up and ask them to send it.

As noted, the bathroom, of which the shower room was sort of an annex, was luxurious. This is what I like about high end hotels, opulent bathrooms. It had a tub that was large enough to handle my big boned frame and I had a very nice soak. The 'jetted' feature, however, was pretty much good at making little bubbles but not much else.

We used the spa and did our part to uphold the economy. The spa was perhaps a bit small, and was in the basement so there were no windows but maybe one doesn't usually have windows in a spa. I wouldn't know, this was my maiden voyage spa-wise (I told you I was a bumpkin). They made it one I will remember, and a 60 minute 'deep tissue' massage was an experience that fell somewhere between pleasure and punishment. It was intense, and a fellow spa user told me that out of the 500 or so massages he has experienced, this was one of the top 4 of his life. Delivered by the same masseuse I had, by the name of Sue. Sue has one amazingly powerful pair of hands. If she were so inclined, she could have turned the session into all punishment and no pleasure. As it was, she treated me very nicely and it was a very enjoyable experience.

There was a room service menu, including $13 plates of dog food. The selections intended for humans could charitably be called uninspiring (at least in their description), yet expensive. We did not give it a try. We did have breakfast in the restaurant, and I would have to call it disappointing. Presentation was nice but the food was only a notch above what I would call acceptable. Crabmeat in the eggs benedict-style dish was not the freshest I have experienced. My mushroom quesadilla came with salsa that seemed straight out of a jar. Our server was pleasant but without a doubt the least attentive staff member we encountered. I would have happily traded a couple of opened doors for more frequent visits from the waiter. We had considered more meals at the hotel restaurant but the breakfast experience didn't encourage us too much.

The good news is a restaurant less than a half mile away called 'The Good Table', We had two very good meals there, the food was interesting and well prepared. The restaurant was a very pleasant room and the apple pie was especially tasty.

The location is beautiful and there is a nice boardwalk to the beach. I would love to return and if I do, my game plan for snagging the extra coffee packets will be ready. There are many room types and prices at the hotel, and the receptionist told me the nicest and best ocean view are those they call 'beach cottages'. Those rooms may be closed down during the winter if I understood her correctly.

For dog lovers who want room service meals for Fido, this seems like the place to go. There were many dogs around and everyone seemed to be enjoying that.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Elizabeth
White Barn Inn
#4 of 7 in Kennebunk
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront

Been to Inn By the Sea? Share your experiences!