Inn by the Sea
Higgins Beach Inn(Scarborough)(Great Value!)
$169
$79
  • Room Service
Best Western Merry Manor Inn(South Portland)(Great Value!)
$123
BestWestern.com
Quality Inn & Suites(South Portland)
$90
$90
Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront(Portland)(Great Value!)
$179
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay(Portland)(Great Value!)
$136
  • Pool
Portland Harbor Hotel(Portland)(Great Value!)
$179
$149
Official Hotel
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
$226
$209
  • Room Service
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa(Portland)(Great Value!)
$139
  • Restaurant
1,129 results
All reviewscrescent beachgarden suitesea glassdog friendly placefire pithuge bathroomdogs are allowedoff seasonspa treatmentsheated floorscookieslobster shacksoaking tubeach eveninglounge areastate parkbeautiful property
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at Inn By the Sea and we honestly could not find one thing wrong with the place!

The property is located on what looks to be a private beach only a 2 minute walk down a wooded path. We booked a room with a fire place which was very nice and kept us toasty all night. The room looked like it was decorated straight out of the Pottery Barn catalog. The front desk helped us with directions and suggestions to the downtown Portland area which is only 10 minutes away and great for shopping.

We also ate dinner in the Sea Glass restaurant, which was very good. I asked for my dish to be customized a bit and the chef was happy to accommodate me and made a few suggestions for me as well. We also sat in the lounge area after dinner by the fire place and enjoyed some wine. very romantic atmosphere!!

There was no detail overlooked throughout the whole hotel, from our room to the outdoor grounds. One other thing I want to note is that this is a dog friendly hotel, but you would never know it, the rooms were spotless and there was no trace of any doggie oder. We did not travel with our dog this time but will be sure to bring her next time!

we will be sure to return!

Reviewed October 28, 2009

From the time we arrived, the staff were consistently friendly and helpful. Maybe a little more helpful than I might have liked, it sometimes felt like they were hovering. But that's me, and I doubt it is an issue for many people. We stayed in a spa suite, it was terrific, and very large. The shower room alone could have slept the whole family (who, thankfully were not in attendance on this trip). The bathroom floor was heated, a new experience for my country bumpkin self. I liked it.

The bedroom was very nice, but I would say lacked for drawer space. The slightly odd dresser had two drawers, each about 16 inches deep. Good for piling things up, I suppose, but not all that practical for me. Bedding was decent but not what one might anticipate for a top flight sort of place like this. Towels in the bathroom were exceptionally nice, very large and extra thick.

The in-room kitchenette was adequate and had some really nice wine glasses. It also featured a slightly odd coffee maker that took a little getting used to, but they supplied what was hands down the best in-room coffee I have ever had. I'm a coffee geek and usually bring my own, but that was not needed at this place. Coffee packets from a local coffee-phile shop called Coffee by Design were exceptionally good. I forgot to pocket the extra one on my way out, maybe I should call them up and ask them to send it.

As noted, the bathroom, of which the shower room was sort of an annex, was luxurious. This is what I like about high end hotels, opulent bathrooms. It had a tub that was large enough to handle my big boned frame and I had a very nice soak. The 'jetted' feature, however, was pretty much good at making little bubbles but not much else.

We used the spa and did our part to uphold the economy. The spa was perhaps a bit small, and was in the basement so there were no windows but maybe one doesn't usually have windows in a spa. I wouldn't know, this was my maiden voyage spa-wise (I told you I was a bumpkin). They made it one I will remember, and a 60 minute 'deep tissue' massage was an experience that fell somewhere between pleasure and punishment. It was intense, and a fellow spa user told me that out of the 500 or so massages he has experienced, this was one of the top 4 of his life. Delivered by the same masseuse I had, by the name of Sue. Sue has one amazingly powerful pair of hands. If she were so inclined, she could have turned the session into all punishment and no pleasure. As it was, she treated me very nicely and it was a very enjoyable experience.

There was a room service menu, including $13 plates of dog food. The selections intended for humans could charitably be called uninspiring (at least in their description), yet expensive. We did not give it a try. We did have breakfast in the restaurant, and I would have to call it disappointing. Presentation was nice but the food was only a notch above what I would call acceptable. Crabmeat in the eggs benedict-style dish was not the freshest I have experienced. My mushroom quesadilla came with salsa that seemed straight out of a jar. Our server was pleasant but without a doubt the least attentive staff member we encountered. I would have happily traded a couple of opened doors for more frequent visits from the waiter. We had considered more meals at the hotel restaurant but the breakfast experience didn't encourage us too much.

The good news is a restaurant less than a half mile away called 'The Good Table', We had two very good meals there, the food was interesting and well prepared. The restaurant was a very pleasant room and the apple pie was especially tasty.

The location is beautiful and there is a nice boardwalk to the beach. I would love to return and if I do, my game plan for snagging the extra coffee packets will be ready. There are many room types and prices at the hotel, and the receptionist told me the nicest and best ocean view are those they call 'beach cottages'. Those rooms may be closed down during the winter if I understood her correctly.

For dog lovers who want room service meals for Fido, this seems like the place to go. There were many dogs around and everyone seemed to be enjoying that.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

Only stayed two nights but impressed enough to know we'll be back next year. Rooms were spacious with clean, clean, clean bathrooms that are generously sized too. Comfortable bed with cozy flannel sheets and windows that actually open. Hotel has spent $millions on a recent renovation and it shows. Still has that "new carpet smell" in the stairwell. Nice features in rooms like plush bathrobes, IPod dock, gas fireplace and fridge. The restaurant is a little gourmet-ish but the portions were good and they don't use any bizarre ingredients. Loved the focaccia.
Hotel caters to people with dogs. I saw at least five of them but hardly heard a single bark. We looked at a couple of other types of rooms for a future stay and no doggie smell anywhere. Kind of nice to see people walking their pets...just like home.
The staff was very nice. First night was rainy and very windy. The flue rattled with every gust and couldn't be adjusted. One call to the front desk and I was given a different room. Also provided with recommendations for restaurants in nearby Portland and best local place to get a lobster roll. The marshmallow s'more and cookies at night show the attention to detail that makes you feel like a welcomed guest and not just another body passing through.

Reviewed October 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed for two days at the Inn By The Sea. We were given a Garden Suite, which had a living room and bedroom. We were very happy with our accommodations. The rooms were so attractive, and we had a nice porch. We had our dog with us, and he loved romping on the beach, which is a short pleasant walk from the hotel. I would definitely go after October 1, if you have a dog, so you can take them on the beach. The staff was so nice, and were eager to help if you had any questions. We used our $25 vouchers to eat in their restaurant for breakfast. I would definitely recommend this place for anyone, with or without a dog.

The only issue we had was that at times we heared footsteps over our heads. We assumed it was the people above us. It turned out to be a staircase that lead outside to the side of the hotel and it was situated overhead. I think they need to do some soundproofing where our room was.

It is a lovely place, and was worth the extra money to enjoy the grounds and the beach. We didn't use the spa services which was pricey,

Reviewed October 23, 2009

we had a fantastic stay there. Rooms were just awesome. Staff was outstanding. Restaurant very memorable (great), and views were beautiful. Would DEFINATELY stay there again!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family