“Heaven by the Sea”

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cape Elizabeth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 22, 2009

The Inn by the Sea is the perfect beach escape. The only downside is that dogs are only allowed on the beach from October 1st to April 1st. The room was very spacious and modern. The bathroom was enormous and luxurious. Cape Elizabeth is a very peaceful area of Maine and the Inn by the Sea is a great place to stay if you want to visit the Portland Head Light and other lighthouses in the area.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank futuremainer
There are newer reviews for Inn by the Sea

Reviewed May 14, 2009

A travelzoo special enticed us to try this place. Had Garden suite, as stated previously, we could hear those above us, TV, footsteps, voices, as well as anyone in the hallway. Walls seem to be very thin. That being said, suite, bed, spa robes, bathroom, all beautifully appointed. Did not use spa services, to expensive for this economic period, but did use the facility, small fitness room, men’s & women’s lockers, with steam, showers, and lounge area were very nice. Comfortable relaxing walk to ocean, a wooden walkway through wooded picnic area, to large ocean area. Staff was great. Only used the restaurant for one breakfast, which was reasonable, but Portland has become a culinary destination only 10 minutes away. To many places to choose from, so little time. Any specials, offered by the Inn would be worth taking advantage of.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2009

My wife and I wanted to take a small trip before she was due to give birth, and were scrolling through all the usual offers on all the travel websites, and came across a great deal for the Inn by the Sea through Travelzoo. And we were very glad we found it.

Our room was a two-floor suite with the bedroom and huge bathroom on the second floor and a kitchenette area and living room on the first floor. The first floor had a balcony with a view of the Atlantic Ocean. Both floors had large plasma TVs with loads of channels. The suite was very comfortable throughout, from the bed to the living room area to the bathroom. The bathroom was enormous with a whirlpool and large shower stall, and his & her sinks. The floor in the bathroom had radiant tiles too, not that we needed it since the weather was very good. Internet access (wireless) was free in the room and throughout the property.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful throughout from the moment we walked in to the time we left. They always greeted us with a smile and gave our stay a very homely feel by talking to us about anything and everything.

We also took advantage of the spa downstairs in which we were also given $20 vouchers each which we took advantage of.

The small restaurant on the property was also a plus for the breakfast and dinner we had. The service staff was professional and courteous... Food was a tad on the pricy side but worth it.

The resort is located between Crescent Beach and the Two Portland Lighthouses. It is a short 10 minute drive into Portland, which offered quite a good number of restaurants (check out Bar Lola and Fore Street). We took advantage of the great scenery around Cape Elizabeth as well as the sourthern parts (from Portsmouth to Kennebunkport) and northern parts (on Route 1 all the way to Bar Harbor - 3 1/2 hrs).

Highly recommend the Inn by the Sea for a relaxing time and to enjoy the best the Maine coast has to offer.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petertom25
Reviewed April 1, 2009

My family visited the Inn By the Sea for a weekend in 2007 and had a wonderful time. So when my sister mentioned she wanted to go back to have a spa weekend for her bachelorette party, I was thrilled at the prospect.

I called a couple of months in advance, just to make sure we could have a room for six guests for one night. The woman with whom I spoke happily agreed to waive the two night minimum the inn sometimes has and told me to call back when I was ready to book. When I called back a couple of weeks later, they refused to waive the second night, even after I referenced my earlier conversation with them. Then they asked me if I would move the bachelorette party to a different date. I had already made the invitations, and my sister had her heart set on this place. I was happy to pay for spa services for six women as well as dinner at their restaurant, so they certainly would have made money from our group. I also mentioned that we had recommended their inn to many of the wedding guests who were coming later this summer, and they still refused to be flexible.

I found this to be poor business practice. This cost me a lot of money and energy; I had to replan my sister's party from scratch. Despite the nice location and the nice rooms, I will never again recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Camilla8899
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This is a beautiful place to stay. The views from the rooms are awesome and the rooms themselves all newly renovated. They have added a small bar/lounge area which was very cozy during the cold days and the restaurant was wonderful but a bit limited in its menu. Very high end. They have added a brand new spa to the inn which we took advantage of. My only complaint is this, the only time we could afford to go there was during the off season. After Memorial Day the rooms bump up to $400 per night from $199. They also tend to fee and gratuity you to death. A 18% gratuity for any spa treatments along with a spa fee. Just be sure to check your bill when you leave for extras, my husband complained about the spa fee (towels & water) we were told and they removed it. Not much else to do but relax. Downtown Portland is a 20 minute car ride. I would love to go again in the summer but couldn't justify spending that much for a room, so I guess it's off season visits for us.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2009

The Inn by the Sea is definitely the nicest place to stay in southern Maine and is about a 15 minute drive to Portland. The inn offers great ocean views and clean, beautifully-appointed modern rooms. My husband & I are in our early 30's, live in Boston, travel and dine out often, and are very picky about the hotels that we stay in. We wanted to stay in downtown Portland but could not find lodging that was up to our standards. We are happy we stumbled upon the Inn by the Sea. This inn recently finished a huge renovation & did a very nice job. We stayed in a garden suite, which was spacious. The bed was really comfortable, but we were woken by footsteps in the hallway directly above the bedroom. We honestly would have given this place 4 stars if it weren't so noisy... the good thing was that the footsteps could not be heard during the night, but definitely began early in the morning. There were many guests who brought their dogs to the inn - we did not mind since we love dogs - but you should be aware before booking that they are very dog friendly. The cardio room is small but adequate, with 2 recumbent bikes, 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, one bench and free weights. This was a little bit of a disappointment - they could have built a real fitness center during the renovation. The restaurant is nice... my husband enjoyed the duck special, and I liked the scallop appetizer - my lobster entree was just okay - their wine selection was pretty good. I did not book a spa appointment, but saw the spa area on my way to the cardio room. It looks nice, but I think the prices seem kind of high for Maine. We did not order room service, mostly because the menu does not offer many items. I wanted to order a late lunch one day, but was surprised to see that there were no sandwiches on the menu. We ended up going to the lounge instead and ordering tapas. They were good and held us over until dinner. In summary, I was impressed with the amenities at the inn (especially nice for Maine) and would stay here again, but not in a garden suite because of the noise level. I would try a room on a higher floor, away from the reception area. I hope that the management tries to work on the noise issues, because if they could improve in that area, this place would be 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boston97
Reviewed January 27, 2009

We also booked through the Travelzoo deal and can't believe the wonderful value we got for our money. We stayed in a fireplace room, with terrific plasma screen tv and a large bathroom. We were thrilled with the view from our room and the short walk to the beach was lovely (and COLD!). The welcoming smores and chocolate chip cookies were certainly an added bonus. The staff was lovely and my finance said the burger he ordered from the on-site restaurant was the best he's ever had. An overall wonderful weekend getaway.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Elizabeth
Higgins Beach Inn
#3 of 13 in Scarborough
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront

Been to Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!