“Great place for a little one on one time.”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cape Elizabeth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This is a beautiful place to stay. The views from the rooms are awesome and the rooms themselves all newly renovated. They have added a small bar/lounge area which was very cozy during the cold days and the restaurant was wonderful but a bit limited in its menu. Very high end. They have added a brand new spa to the inn which we took advantage of. My only complaint is this, the only time we could afford to go there was during the off season. After Memorial Day the rooms bump up to $400 per night from $199. They also tend to fee and gratuity you to death. A 18% gratuity for any spa treatments along with a spa fee. Just be sure to check your bill when you leave for extras, my husband complained about the spa fee (towels & water) we were told and they removed it. Not much else to do but relax. Downtown Portland is a 20 minute car ride. I would love to go again in the summer but couldn't justify spending that much for a room, so I guess it's off season visits for us.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed February 28, 2009

The Inn by the Sea is definitely the nicest place to stay in southern Maine and is about a 15 minute drive to Portland. The inn offers great ocean views and clean, beautifully-appointed modern rooms. My husband & I are in our early 30's, live in Boston, travel and dine out often, and are very picky about the hotels that we stay in. We wanted to stay in downtown Portland but could not find lodging that was up to our standards. We are happy we stumbled upon the Inn by the Sea. This inn recently finished a huge renovation & did a very nice job. We stayed in a garden suite, which was spacious. The bed was really comfortable, but we were woken by footsteps in the hallway directly above the bedroom. We honestly would have given this place 4 stars if it weren't so noisy... the good thing was that the footsteps could not be heard during the night, but definitely began early in the morning. There were many guests who brought their dogs to the inn - we did not mind since we love dogs - but you should be aware before booking that they are very dog friendly. The cardio room is small but adequate, with 2 recumbent bikes, 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, one bench and free weights. This was a little bit of a disappointment - they could have built a real fitness center during the renovation. The restaurant is nice... my husband enjoyed the duck special, and I liked the scallop appetizer - my lobster entree was just okay - their wine selection was pretty good. I did not book a spa appointment, but saw the spa area on my way to the cardio room. It looks nice, but I think the prices seem kind of high for Maine. We did not order room service, mostly because the menu does not offer many items. I wanted to order a late lunch one day, but was surprised to see that there were no sandwiches on the menu. We ended up going to the lounge instead and ordering tapas. They were good and held us over until dinner. In summary, I was impressed with the amenities at the inn (especially nice for Maine) and would stay here again, but not in a garden suite because of the noise level. I would try a room on a higher floor, away from the reception area. I hope that the management tries to work on the noise issues, because if they could improve in that area, this place would be 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boston97
Reviewed January 27, 2009

We also booked through the Travelzoo deal and can't believe the wonderful value we got for our money. We stayed in a fireplace room, with terrific plasma screen tv and a large bathroom. We were thrilled with the view from our room and the short walk to the beach was lovely (and COLD!). The welcoming smores and chocolate chip cookies were certainly an added bonus. The staff was lovely and my finance said the burger he ordered from the on-site restaurant was the best he's ever had. An overall wonderful weekend getaway.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Took advantage of Travelzoo's incredible low season deal on this Cape Elizabeth boutique. Everything is pure comfort and luxury. They have had a major facelift and reopened since June of this year. We stayed two nights at a spa king suite which is two leveled with a loft and an amazingly huge and luxurious bathroom. The view of the ocean is incredible even in the dead of winter. The inn has a walkway to Crescent Beach. Its outdoor pool is closed, there is no indoor pool, a small fitness room next to the brand new spa. I had a body wrap service at the spa, business was brisk, so my spa lady who is very sweet, did not have a lot of prior experiences doing the wraps but it was still well worth the effort and my money. the restaurant and bar area is small but beautifully decorated. My family had breakfast there every morning and it was delicious. The Portland area has so many wonderful restaurants, all within a 10 minute drive with no traffic at all. About the bathroom, it has a waterfall shower, a jacuzzi tub, and heated bathroom floor! Absolutely fell in love with that last feature. All in all, a nice getaway in beautiful CapeE in plentiful Maine, a true vacationland of 4 seasons. Would definitely return! Also try the Portland Head Light and the Twin Lighthouse nearby, a gem.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank newtonmum
Reviewed November 4, 2008

Inn By The Sea is the epitome of luxury. My husband and I stayed in a Garden Suite. This suite consists of a large living room with sofa, chairs, desk, microwave, refrigerator, coffee machine and a large flat screen tv. Down the hall you will find a luxurious marble bathroom with a very large, deep tub, as well as a separate glass encased shower stall. Bathroom has a large sink top for your cosmetics, toothbrushes, toothpaste, brush/comb and blow dryer.
A little further down the hall is the bedroom, which also has a large flat screen tv, plenty of dresser and closet space.... a plus in my book! A large comfy, cozy king size bed. Also, in the evening, housekeeping comes in and brings a little treat and turns down the bed...a nice touch. I would recommend a nightcap in the bar and lounge area. The lounge is cozy with a nice fireplace. Janice or Autumn will take very good care of you. The Sea Glass Restaurant serves up a nice breakfast buffet in the morning, for a reasonable price. We found, however, for lunch and dinner, this restaurant is VERY pricey! On our first day, we ordered burgers and fries and a beer for lunch. With tip, it cost over $60.00, which is absurd for lunch. Also, that evening we EACH had a bowl of lobster bisque and two large scallops. And while they were very tasty, we ended up paying over $60.00, with tip, for that dinner and there were no drinks ordered. We ended up renting a car, during our trip to explore Portland, Maine, as well as Cape Elizabeth, and to dine at some of the local restaurants.
We went for the couples' massage at the spa. It was fantastic!
For outdoor activity, you not only have a nice walk out to the beach, but, The Inn offers bocce ball and croquet, as well. The grounds and gardens are so beautiful and well maintained. I have added pictures to go with this review. ( though they don't do the place justice) I would highly recommend a stay at The Inn By The Sea.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2008

We stayed in a deluxe cottage with a view of the ocean. It was a wonderful place and the staff was great from beginning to end.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2008

My fiance and I stayed here recently on our way up to Friendship Maine for a wedding. We came from the West Coast so we wanted to find a nice relaxing place before we made our trek, 2 hours north. The Inn by the Sea was absolutely beautiful. Because of the time of year, it was not very crowded and seemed really low key. I loved that they had events on the lawn at different points of the day (i.e croquet, yoga, bocce ball). The room was spotless and amazing. I travel a bunch for work, so I am used to Hilton type hotels where they all look the same and feel impersonal. The Inn goes out of their way to make you feel important, and to show their appreciation. In the time that we were there, we received several treats that were presented to us by housekeeping (which was great because we were starving). We really enjoyed sitting out on the terrace and looking at the ocean. The location to the Old Port is great (just 10 minutes or so) so we went into town for dinner and shopping. I highly recommend Vingnola (sp?) It's on the side of an alley, but it was sooo tasty!

I would absolutely return anytime to this hotel - It was gorgeous and well worth the price paid to stay there. The staff is wonderful and provided useful information for sight seeing nearby!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Higgins Beach Inn
Higgins Beach Inn
#4 of 13 in Scarborough
Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront

Been to Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!