“Fabulous stay at the Inn by the Sea”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cape Elizabeth
GreenLeadersGold level
Jackson Heights, New York
“Fabulous stay at the Inn by the Sea”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I just returned from a two night stay at the Inn by the Sea. I purchased a travelzoo deal that included breakfast, and I'm so glad I did! Sometimes when I purchase online deals, I'm afraid that the hotel or restaurant will treat you as "less than." I was so pleasantly surprised to find that this was not the case at all at this beautiful resort.

On the first night of our scheduled arrival, the weather forecast in Maine was calling for 15 inches of snow! The resort was willing to accommodate, and moved the reservation up to the next evening, so we did not have to risk our lives driving in a snowstorm.

Everything from the moment we arrived was fantastic! Annie at the front desk was so friendly and really made it her business to see that we were comfortable and that we had a wonderful experience at the Inn by the Sea!

Our suite was lovely, spacious, immaculate, and had a really great view. The food was really tasty and we loved that they had a vegetarian/vegan menu! We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at Seaglass, and every meal was superb.

We also enjoyed speaking with Mark, also at the front desk, who was very helpful.
We hope to get another travel deal at the inn so we can return this summer.

This is a dog friendly hotel, so if you are afraid of dogs or allergic to dogs, this is not the place for you. I do not have a dog, nor am I a "dog lover", but I can honestly say that having dogs at the hotel did not enhance or take away from my experience.

Room Tip: As the resort was not fully booked, we were able to see a few rooms before we settled on a great gar...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear MELLOSUSAN,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your positive comments in regards to our accommodations, Sea Glass dining experience and most of all our warm and friendly staff. We truly appreciate you going out of your way to mention Annie and Mark at our reception desk as they are true professionals and we are lucky to have such wonderful individuals representing the Inn by the Sea. Again, thank you for taking the time to share and we look forward to welcoming you back to the southern coast of Maine in the near future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Arlington, MA
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was my first time to Inn by the Sea and I'll definitely be back. There are lots of little touches to make you feel welcome, like the Housekeeping staff coming by with chocolate chip cookies in the late afternoon. Each staff member we spoke to was warm and accommodating. Our room had a wonderful view of the water (the beach is a 5 minute walk from the inn). The friendly customer service came in handy during checkout, when we mentioned our experience in the bar the night before. If you plan on eating in the dining room, be sure you've made reservations. We showed up at 7:45 and since there were empty tables, thought there wouldn't be a problem. But those were soon to be filled with 8:00 reservations. We were told we could eat in the bar and choose from either the bar menu, or the restaurant menu. (I should mention at this point that Inn by the Sea is dog-friendly and this means that dogs are welcome in the bar. I love dogs and this was no problem for me. All of the dogs I encountered over the weekend were friendly and well-behaved, though.)

It took a few minutes to get settled in at the bar with menus and silverware. I'm not sure what happened with the waitstaff that night, but there were several mistakes with our order. I ordered a salad with baby greens and instead got the spinach salad. Not a big deal - I'd been on the fence deciding between the two salads anyway, and the spinach salad was delicious. More importantly, I was so hungry by the time it arrived that I didn't want to make a fuss. My gnocchi came out later without incident, and was great - I wish I'd ordered the larger portion!

My husband ordered the burger and asked if he could have some salad greens in lieu of the French fries. Sure, no problem. He was asked what he wanted on his burger and when asked if he wanted bacon, he specifically said no. By the time his burger came, it came with the fries (no salad) and with bacon. He mentioned the salad to the waiter, who apologized and made the change (dumped the fries and gave him salad greens) but he didn't want to deal with waiting for a burger to be cooked all over again. But when we got the check, he realized that he'd been charged an extra $3 for the bacon. The bar is not that big and only two other tables had ordered food, so I'm not sure where the mix-ups were. I've got to say, though, that the food was all delicious. I had a bite of my husband's burger and it was very tasty.

Our breakfasts the next morning were also very good, and made with homemade bread (always a welcome addition!). One small quibble is that we called in the morning to ask if we needed a reservation for brunch and were told no...and then when we went to the dinining room, learned that there was a 25 minute wait. So, my recommendation: make a reservation for the restaurant no matter what. (You could drive into Portland to eat, but it's not a quick 7 miles, and once you get to the Inn, you'll feel so relaxed that you won't want to leave. The gas fireplace made things very warm and cozy.)

We mentioned our dinner mix-up at the reception desk and were pleasantly surprised that the manager offered to refund our dinner completely, no questions asked. We enjoyed the grounds after our check-out, but be aware that the walkway leading to the beach isn't maintained in the off-season. Still well-worth the walk if you don't mind the end-of-the-season slush.

All in all, a very relaxing getaway at the end of winter, and I look forward to visiting again in the warmer months. (I didn't get to experience the spa on this visit, so did not mention it in my review.)

Dear Wendy JG,

Thank you for your recent and thorough review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor. I’m glad to read that your overall experience was a positive one and we truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to correct the shortfall in service delivery prior to your departure at the Inn. Thank you for taking the time to share and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn by the Sea in the near future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
York, Maine
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room, mostly the bathroom, was what I consider to be a disaster. Cracked floor in shower with water seeping up (shower hadn't been used by us yet), towel bar had been ripped off the wall on one end and stuck back up a few inches higher, on just the one end, with the mud just left in a big blob. The bathroom counter was dirty when we got there and still dirty in the same spots when we left 3 days later. The gas fireplace didn't work. Beware if you're staying off season. Short of having a massage or working out in the gym, there is absolutely nothing to do there and you will spend most of your time in the Old Port. No indoor pool, game room, etc. The lounge looks much nicer in the brochure. It is small, dated and feels like a waiting room to something better. The spa was wonderful. Quiet, cozy and relaxing. Great massage.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor in the main hotel were noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IBTSDOSM, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Jen C

Thank you for selecting Inn by the Sea during your recent visit to Cape Elizabeth. We appreciate your patronage as well as the time you took to provide your feedback regarding your experience;

I am disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations. I am particularly concerned with your comments regarding the condition and cleanliness of your guest room, as well as the quality of the Chef’s welcome amenity. Your observations are certainly not consistent with the high level of personalized attention that we strive to provide. You may be assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate parties as it is through candid feedback from concerned guests such as yourself that we are able to improve our product and services.

It is my hope that you allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence in Inn by the Sea the next time you are in our area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to secure your reservation.

Thank you again for your feedback and I will look forward to welcoming you back to Inn by the Sea.

Kind regards,

Carrie Dyer
Hotel Manager
East Orleans, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 20, 2013

my wife and i and our irish water spaniel mamie had a thoroughly wonderful 2 night stay with a great water view suite! super friendly staff, great breakfast included in the package. super spa, said my wife.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear capecodbob41545,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our B&B Package, eco friendly spa and most of all our super friendly staff. We are very lucky to have such a great team who are dedicated to making each guest visit special and memorable. Thanks again for taking the time to share and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our recent visit to Inn By The Sea marked our fourth visit to the property. My husband and I travel there with our dog and always have a wonderful stay. The rooms are large, comfortable and very clean. The staff is fabulous and go out of their way to make you feel at home. It is nice to return year after year and see the same faces. We love taking our dog to the beach, which is located right behind the property. She also gets a little bone when they bring cookies at turn down. It is the perfect place to visit when you want to get away from it all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear J and M M,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for continuing to be a loyal customer of the Inn. Our greatest compliment is to see a guest return to our fine property for another stay. We truly appreciate your comments in regards to our accommodations and well trained, friendly staff. Thank you again for taking the time to share and look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn by the Sea for your fifth stay very soon! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Newmarket, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is by far one of the nicest places my wife and I have stayed in years. The staff was exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable. The resort itself was clean and very upscale. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Dkrauss629, ,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your comments in regards to the quality of your stay at the Inn. Again, I’m always thrilled to respond to a review that mentions our warm, friendly and knowledgeable staff as they continue to delight our guests again and again. We appreciate you taking the time to share and look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn by the Sea sometime in the near future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
boston, ma
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wonderful suite! View of the beach, comfortable bedroom, spacious and well-appointed living room area, and darling amenities, too- a little bit of luxury makes for a nice treat. L'occitane soaps and shampoos, delicious little cookies or other sweets brought to the room at tea time, fresh fruit left in the fridge to welcome us- clearly this place recognizes that a nice touch can go a long way in creating appreciation and inspiring loyalty. And with a weekend package purchased through Travel Zoo, what a tremendous value, too. The staff is superb! Everyone has a friendly, helpful attitude- front desk, waitstaff and the spa (excellent spa!). Wonderful restaurant, too. (although I am sure that the microwave option in the room must be a nice option for a longer stay). A bonus was to be able to cross country ski a half hour away, then walk the beach. Not too many locales can offer that mix... Kudos to Inn by the Sea. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: A suite with a porch ioverlooking the ocean is hard to beat.
Dear MaCherie57,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our accommodations, in room and turn down amenities and most of all our top notch staff at the Inn. We are very lucky to have a group well trained staff members who strive to deliver a positive travel experience to all of our guests of the Inn. Again, thank you for taking the time to share. We look forward to welcoming you back to the southern coast of Maine in the near future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Elizabeth
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
The Tides Beach Club
The Tides Beach Club
#3 of 5 in Kennebunkport

Been to Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!