“For once I'm lost for words.”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cape Elizabeth
GreenLeadersGold level
Coral Gables, Florida
“For once I'm lost for words.”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and I came to Inn By The Sea to celebrate my 75th birthday. There are ten or us, five adults and five children, divided into three family branches, each with generous-sized rooms of our own. And I should say right upfront that we all can be very difficult at times to please. Our rooms were tastefully furnished, comfortable, and well-taken care of by the conscientious, but never intrusive, housekeeping staff. The food in the restaurant was excellent, attentively presented, exactly as we ordered it and the drinks at the bar presented graciously and generously. The lawn and beach are well-cared for, as are the exercise, spa rooms and hallways. But here's the real reason it was worth every penny and why we will go back as often as our schedules will allow: the staff and the service. They really seem to care about your feeling welcome and being comfortable. They are well-trained, personal, professional, warm, caring, and convey a sense of sincerity about wanting you to have a good and relaxing time. You get the sense with every contact that they actually like you (without ever becoming too familiar) and want you to feel at home. From the time we arrived and were greeted warmly until the time we left and were thanked warmly for coming, we felt cared for by the staff and loved being there. I cannot praise the Inn By The Sea highly enough and look forward to celebrating my next birthday there. Which reminds me: their chef makes one heck of a chocolate birthday cake. Finally, I've travelled with my son and daughter in the past and they've never called to thank me as often as they both did this time. Four calls from my daughter and two from my son. They and their families just love the place. So will you.

Room Tip: Call up the reservation department and tell them what your needs are and they'll help you select...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
smasterson, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear SanfordEvans: Thank you for selecting Inn by the Sea for your 75th birthday celebration and for taking the time to share your kind feedback regarding your experience. I am so pleased to learn that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations and in particular that the service you received from our team of associates made a significant and positive impact. It was truly our pleasure to host your family event and we look forward to welcoming you back to Inn by the Sea again soon. Kind regards, Sara Masterson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Bad experience at check in we arrived at 2 pm and were told guaranteed check in was at 4 pm. We asked if we could get a call whenever the room was ready and never got a call. Standard room is nothing special. Grounds are not particularly well manicured. The personnel seem disinterested. All in all it is not a bad place but definitely not worth $500 a night. For that kind of money other resorts will make you feel special instead of a nuisance which is what we felt at this place. We will not be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank pwfvg
Dear pwfvg: Thank you for selecting Inn by the Sea during your recent visit to Southern Maine and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. I am disappointed to learn that it was not a positive experience. Specifically your observations related to the attentiveness of our associates are certainly inconsistent with the level of service that we pride ourselves in providing. I am further very surprised to read your comments related to the property grounds as it is unusual feedback for the property to receive. You may be assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate parties as guest feedback is the most important element to our continuous improvement. I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay and sincerely hope to have a chance to regain your confidence in Inn by the Sea. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time. Kind regards, Sara Masterson
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Wonderful Maine hotel in most respects..friendliness, courtesy and helpfulness of staff, (outstanding), food in main dining room, decor of main lobby, cleanliness, beautiful plantings everywhere, and the rooms in the new building.
However, there are some serious problems with some of the rooms. I agreed to a 2 bedroom "cottage" which I was told had been refurbished in 2008 or 2009. It was awful! Spacious living room with ghastly, clumsy and uncomfortable furniture (except for 1 chair with ottoman), reasonable and pleasant kitchen area, two bedrooms with ceiling fans were ok though they had very heavy bedding that was not appropriate for July, airconditioner in living room only, patio with chairs, small bathroom with little place to put anything, plastic toilet seat and prefab plastic shower and stiff and abrasive toweling. All this for $639 daily plus taxes which brought the total to over $700 daily. Housekeeping including with turndown service in the evening. Extreme noise transmission via creaking floors from the upstairs room that kept us awake for many hours in the morning and late at night. This was not a cottage at all but a two level condo unit which I never would have taken had I known. I thought I was getting a cottage which, to me, means a free standing unit.
I saw the new building which is beaurtiful and I am told that the main house rooms have been renovated but I did not see them. The "cottages", a very misleading term, are slated for a badly needed renovation but I do not know when.

Room Tip: I think I said it all above. This is an expensive place and I did not get much value for my money b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear feebee00: Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback regarding your recent stay at Inn by the Sea. I am very glad to learn that you enjoyed many elements of your experience and am especially pleased to read that the service you received from our team of associates helped to enhance your overall impressions of the hotel. I am, however, disappointed with your observations related to our two-bedroom cottage accommodations.

Inn by the Sea has engaged in a phased renovation throughout the property over the past several years beginning with the main building and last year completing one set of cottage units in the 600-building. The cottage building in which you stayed was refreshed in 2008 but has not yet been renovated consistent with the rest of the property. We do try to reflect that distinction both on our website and through the booking process. I can assure you that your feedback has been shared with the appropriate parties as while I cannot predict exactly when the next phase of the renovation will commence I can tell you that comments from concerned guests such as yourself play a significant role in determining the next improvements for the property. Thank you again for your feedback. Kind regards, Sara Masterson
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We arrived around 2:00. "Guarenteed check in" was 4:00, so our room was not ready. We asked to be called when it was. They waited until exactly 4:00 to call us, although the room was obviously ready sooner. Then the bell staff took us to the second floor and all the way to the end of the hall when our room was on the first floor. He couldn't find the room, so he took us all the way back to the lobby. Then someone else took us upstairs again and all the way to the end, then down stairs again and came back later with our luggage. Not a great start. Then we saw the property. It should be called Inn Sort of Near the Sea. The beach is at the other end of a long path through the woods. When we tried to go to the beach, they were out of umbrellas. They would not put us on a waiting list or do anything else to help, so we couldn't even use the beach. Also, we were awakened at 7AM by something that sounded like high-pitched motorcycles racing past our room. After about an hour of that, we called the front desk. It turned out that it was the pool heater. They turned it off, but by then, we couln't get back to sleep. All in all, this was terrible service for what purports to be a luxury resort.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank RudyGarcia
smasterson, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear RudyGarcia: Thank you for selecting Inn by the Sea during your recent trip to Southern Maine. I am sorry that it was not a positive experience. Your comments related to your arrival to the hotel, particularly those regarding the bellman's knowledge of the property and assistance to your guest room, are both surprising and disappointing. These observations are certainly not reflective of the level of service we strive to provide all of our guests at the Inn. I am further sorry that your sleep was disrupted by any noises coming from our pool area or elsewhere; I can appreciate how frustrating that must have been. You may be assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate parties and I would welcome and opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay. I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back to Inn by the Sea during a future visit to the area and to regain your confidence in the property. Kind regards, Sara Masterson
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2012

There is no doubt that this place is beautiful.....we stayed last year and unfortunatly just for 1 day as we were traveling. We found ourselves in the same situation this year and got in late due to a very late flight. Drove up to the Inn at 7pm and asked for a better rate, ( we were leaving the next day at 7am), the woman at the front dest stuck her nose in the air and although she had rooms available proceeded to explain to me that $500 was a great rate and I should take it. I declined and we took our chances and called the Blackpoint Inn down the road. They had a room for 2 nights and we took it for the 2 nights because of their hospitality. Much better feel there! Please understand, my husband and I can afford $500 a night if we want, we just didn't want to give it to an establishment with an attitude like that. In their defense, our visit last year was perfect.

Room Tip: Every room if great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank neiko1
smasterson, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear neiko1:
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent experience at Inn by the Sea; I am disappointed that it was not positive. Our hotel prides itself on the level of service that we provide our guests and we are well-known for our friendly and hospitable approach as is attested to in many of the reviews on this site. I am extremely sorry that your experience was so inconsistent with that reputation. I sincerely hope to have an opportunity to regain your confidence in Inn by the Sea the next time your travels bring you to our area and I encouarge you to reach out to me directly to secure a future reservation. Kind regards, Sara Masterson
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We visited the Inn by the Sea for a early spring weekend in March and stayed in a garden suite. The garden suites all have doors opening onto a little porch, with private but attached by the porch seating areas, and the view is over looking the gardens facing the pool and ocean. We couldn't tell from the website if some of the garden suites opened up to the parking lot backside of the inn, but none do! We loved the garden suite and being able to just walk out the patio onto the grounds, but the only drawback was the bedroom part of the suite is under the main hallway, so we heard a lot of walking around. Recommendation: take a suite towards the far end of the hotel! The Inn was surprisingly full the weekend we visited for off-season and it is definitely pet friendly, it seemed like everyone but us had a dog! All size dogs were allowed and leashed dogs were allowed inside in the little bar area across from the restaurant. The waitstaff were readily able to bring over a water dish for people's pets while you are eating your sandwich. The Inn overall and our room were very clean and there were no indications in our suite of previous dog inhabitants. We dined at Sea Glass for most meals, dinner reservations are weekend must, as it is small and fills up quickly. Everything we tried was delicious, do not miss the Maine blueberry cocktails! Each evening a weather report for the following day is delivered to your room along with fresh baked cookies. The new beach suites were not ready when we visited, but we can't wait to go back and give them a try!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MMWG
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear MMWG,

Thank you for your spring review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your positive comments in regards to our Garden Suite accommodations, amenities and pet friendly practices at the Inn. I’m also delighted to read that we were able to deliver an exceptional culinary experience in Sea Glass Restaurant. The Blueberry Martinis are a hit with guests year round. Our new One and Two Bedroom Beach Suites opened the second week of June and we are very pleased with our guest feedback so far. Thank again for taking the time to share, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn by the Sea on your next visit to the Maine! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I wish I had more time to take advantage of all the services the Inn provided, but now I have an excuse to return. The staff were so friendly and helpful, the view was spectacular, and the room, particularly the bed and bathroom, were heavenly. Just on the outskirts of Portland, it was the perfect location. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MAB_6912
Dear MAB_6912,

Thank you for your recent review of Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your kind comments in regards to our accommodations and most of all, our friendly and helpful staff at the Inn. We were delighted to have the opportunity to serve you and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Elizabeth
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Higgins Beach Inn
Higgins Beach Inn
#9 of 13 in Scarborough

Been to Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!