Inn by the Sea
Higgins Beach Inn(Scarborough)(Great Value!)
$169
$79
  • Room Service
Best Western Merry Manor Inn(South Portland)(Great Value!)
$133
$120
BestWestern.com
Quality Inn & Suites(South Portland)
$90
$90
Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront(Portland)(Great Value!)
$184
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay(Portland)(Great Value!)
$136
  • Pool
Portland Harbor Hotel(Portland)(Great Value!)
$179
$169
Official Hotel
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
$209
  • Room Service
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa(Portland)(Great Value!)
$139
  • Restaurant
1,121 results
All reviewscrescent beachgarden suitesea glassdog friendly placefire pithuge bathroomdogs are allowedoff seasonspa treatmentsheated floorscookieslobster shacksoaking tubeach eveninglounge areastate parkbeautiful property
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Love this property just a few miles from Portland, but wow what a pretty location.

Great staff, great Maine blueberry martinis, a super chef and a beautiful beach. Did I forget the totally wonder fireplace suite with a fireplace in the living room, as well as the bedroom!
And the fantastic bathroom....got to love the shower.

This sounds like I never needed to leave the property - you don't! Easy to stay put for at least the weekend, but for those of you who need to be on the move, the coast of Maine is at your fingertips - with its super shopping, restaurants, whale watching and just being.

Maine is my favorite state for just being, and anytime of year is terrific at the Inn by the Sea.

Room Tip: I really didn't think they have a "bad" room....
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear Rosie5695, Thank you for your kind review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your comments in regards to the high quality of our Fireplace Suite and dining experience at the Inn. Our Maine Blueberry Martinis are served year round as they are such a hit with our guests! I’ll be sure to pass along your comments to our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the southern coast of Maine in the future! Richard Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is a wonderful place to stay, especially if you want to bring your dog. The best value is off season. The price for a room in august is well over $600. per night. Your pooch will also have more fun since the state doesn't allow dogs on Crescent beach until October. The price is steep in th summer.My only caveat is: dinners are mediocre.

• Stayed: August 2011
smasterson, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Dear ronnie63_11: Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding Inn by the Sea. I am glad to learn that you have enjoyed your past experiences at the property. While each season offers a unique set of qualities and reasons to visit, fall is indeed a special time of year at the hotel and as you note, our rates do flctuate seasonally. I am disappointed with your comments regarding dinner at Sea Glass. I welcome an opportunity to address your feedback directly and encourage you to contact me prior to your next visit to the Inn. Kind regards, Sara Masterson, General Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed at the Inn for five nights in late August 2011, and had a wonderful stay. The room was clean and comfortable; the restaurant (Sea Glass) was outstanding; and the staff was very friendly. In particular, a hotel employee named Vanessa went beyond the call of duty to provide extra assistance to me and my family, even though she was not on duty at the time. We greatly appreciate her kindness.

In addition, the location is simply outstanding; there are dozens of great beaches within walking distance or a short drive. Portland, with its great restaurants and shops, is also close. It is not a cheap hotel, but it is worth the money.

I have a few criticisms, however. When I received my final bill, I was surprised to find that the hotel had added a 5% "hotel fee" per night. If the hotel wants to charge an extra five percent for the room, they should just add it to the cost of the room--not bury it in a hidden "fee." I don't expect to be nickel-and-dimed when I'm already paying more than $600 per night for a room. It's just not classy.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear bmw4167: Thank you for selecting Inn by the Sea during your recent visit to Maine and for taking the time to post your feedback. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your experience and am particularly happy that a member of our team had such a positive impact on your stay. I will be very happy to share your comments with Vanessa directly.

Thank you additionally for your feedback regarding the hotel fee; I am sorry that it was not better explained upon booking. The fee includes access to a number of amenities and activities not directly related to the room, including access to the fitness center, SPA sanctuaries, high-speed internet access, local and long distance phone calls and seasonal activity programming in addition to helping support ongoing green initiatives throughout the property. I do appreciate your comments, however, and you may be assured that they will be considered as we continuously look to improve our product and services.

I look forward to having an opportunity to welcome you, your wife and puppy back to the Inn again soon! Warm regards, Sara Masterson

Reviewed August 26, 2011

My fiance and I just went last weekend and had the best visit that we could have ever asked for. The inn is small, quaint, and very elegant. The staff, service, food, ambiance, and overall stay was absolutely wonderful. We stayed in a traditional guest room which was perfect for us since it was just the two of us. Our room did not have an ocean view but we didn't mind that since they told us that up front when booking. We enjoyed getting a drink from the bar and sitting outside on the lawn to see the ocean instead!
We ate at the Sea Glass for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Each meal was better than the next and so relaxing. Their new beer menu is worth a drink as well.
Crescent beach is beautiful. The boardwalk to the beach is maybe a 2 minute walk (at most). It really was not a big deal to do. The staff will also help carry your things for you if you have your kids, extra bags, etc...Not to mention the boardwalk walk was quite peaceful. We enjoyed it.
I don't understand the negative comments about the price of the inn or being dog friendly. Sure, it was quite the splurge of a weekend for us, but the inn does not hide its prices. It was well worth the money for the getaway and being treated like royalty for the whole trip. It was so fun to see all of the dogs as well. We did not come across any poop or unsettling dog behavior during our stay...that or we just watched where we walked and avoided it instead...I have stayed in fabulous, luxurious hotels around the world from Paris, to Capetown, to Frankfurt, and Fiji. This was right on par with the best. If you're expecting to come to a NYC Ritz Carlton than vacationing in Maine is not for you.
We did not experience any negatives whatsoever during our stay. We are planning on making a long weekend trip to the inn by the sea a new annual tradition for us. We are even hoping to get both sets of our parents to join us. We really enjoyed and loved our stay. We are already excited to go back!!

ps. take advantage of the smores at night!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
smasterson, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Dear ashley w: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that you enjoyed your experience and found the property and amenities to exceed your expectations. We are very fortunate to have such easy (and beautiful) access to Crescent Beach, but one of my favorite places to enjoy the ocean is also from the lawn. I hope we are able to welcome you and your fiance back again soon! Kind regards, Sara Masterson, General Manager

Reviewed August 24, 2011

Wonderful place right outside of Portland, Maine.
Chef's garden dinner was superb.
Room 405 was excellent. Property is very pet (dog) friendly and child friendly (in suites). Neither was a burden to us and we are neither overly pet prone or child prone.
The Crescent Beach area which is part of the property is wonderful.
Staff sets you up with umbrella, chairs, towels and water. the pool area is nice too.
Very happy we were told of this place by our travel agent.
By no means is the Inn moderately priced, but worth the splurge. We will return.

Room Tip: Speak to Mark at the desk, nicely.
1  Thank penguinitis

Dear penguinitis: Thank you very much for your kind review of your recent experience at Inn by the Sea. I am so glad that you were able to participate in the Chef's garden dinner and had time to enjoy the beach during your visit. I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the property again soon. Kind regards, Sara Masterson, General Manager