This is a nice place. Low-key, relaxed, friendly. Rooms are nicely appointed. Views of the Ocean from nearly every room, which is great. Housekeeping staff (nice young men!) and restaurant hostess very personable and on the ball; front desk a little less so. Very convenient to downtown Portland.
Boardwalk to the beach offers a nice short stroll through wetlands filled with birds. Crescent Beach is lovely -- though we were there on a cold, rainy weekend. Would be lovely in full-on summer if not too crowded.
It is very much a dog-friendly place -- dogs allowed in the lobby and bar/sitting room, so if you are not a dog person, you may want to reconsider. But if you love dogs (we do) it's quite fun to see them sitting on chairs and hanging out by the fire. Note though that dogs are NOT allowed on beach which would have been very disappointing had we had our labs with us.
Nicest touches: gas fireplaces in the rooms; great view of the sea; spacious bathroom with plenty of towels.
Not so good: food in dining room was disappointing. Got a little grossed-out at some of the housekeeping misses: coffee maker in room not cleaned out (though coffee we made once we cleaned it out was great); room service menu/hotel directory pages stuck together with dried on food; catalogue of other properties saturated with some kind of oil... ick.
This is not a four/five star inn of the caliber of those in cities, so if that's what you are looking for, adjust your expectations. The rate was about right considering what one can pay in a nice hotel. I think they do pretty well for the price.
Would definitely stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- After a multi million dollar renovation the eco luxury Inn by the Sea is Maine's premier beach destination. Located on a mile of unspoiled beach guests enjoy intimate dining in the ocean view Sea Glass celebrating Maine fare, relax in the spa or fireplace lounge. Spacious redesigned suites, rooms & cottages w oversized bathrooms, or full kitchens, or fireplaces. Child & Pet friendly! 5 acre indigenous garden,pool, bocce, fire pit, golf nearby. 10 mins to Portland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Preferred Hotels, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Inn by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn By The Sea Hotel Cape Elizabeth
- Inn By The Sea Maine/Cape Elizabeth