“Fell a tiny bit short of expectations.”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cape Elizabeth
GreenLeadersGold level
Norwich, Vermont
“Fell a tiny bit short of expectations.”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This is a nice place. Low-key, relaxed, friendly. Rooms are nicely appointed. Views of the Ocean from nearly every room, which is great. Housekeeping staff (nice young men!) and restaurant hostess very personable and on the ball; front desk a little less so. Very convenient to downtown Portland.

Boardwalk to the beach offers a nice short stroll through wetlands filled with birds. Crescent Beach is lovely -- though we were there on a cold, rainy weekend. Would be lovely in full-on summer if not too crowded.

It is very much a dog-friendly place -- dogs allowed in the lobby and bar/sitting room, so if you are not a dog person, you may want to reconsider. But if you love dogs (we do) it's quite fun to see them sitting on chairs and hanging out by the fire. Note though that dogs are NOT allowed on beach which would have been very disappointing had we had our labs with us.

Nicest touches: gas fireplaces in the rooms; great view of the sea; spacious bathroom with plenty of towels.

Not so good: food in dining room was disappointing. Got a little grossed-out at some of the housekeeping misses: coffee maker in room not cleaned out (though coffee we made once we cleaned it out was great); room service menu/hotel directory pages stuck together with dried on food; catalogue of other properties saturated with some kind of oil... ick.

This is not a four/five star inn of the caliber of those in cities, so if that's what you are looking for, adjust your expectations. The rate was about right considering what one can pay in a nice hotel. I think they do pretty well for the price.

Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor w/ deck for better view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGuideReader
smasterson, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear TravelGuide Reader: Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience at Inn by the Sea. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed many elements of your stay. I was disappointed, however, to read your feedback regarding your dining experience and the cleanliness items noted in your guestroom. Neither of these comments are reflective of the high level of quality and service we strive to provide all of our guests. I do appreciate your taking the time to share your observations as it is through candid feedback from our guests that we are able to improve our product and service. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Inn by the Sea again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Boston
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at Inn by the Sea for three nights at the end of April and were very pleased with the room, location and staff. The relatively new spa is phenominal. The treatments and therapists were among the best I have enjoyed.

We stayed at a very spacious spa room which was a loft. The jacuzzi bathtub was only ok - it should have been big enough to fit two! The large bathroom was well designed. The room was comortable and modern.

The hotel restaurant has great breakfast - do not miss this. Dinner was nice as well.

Crescent beach was a nice walk in the spring, in the summer it must be a good spot to lounge.

Room Tip: Get a spa room in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Dear JeffKBoston, Thank you for your kind review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your comments in regards to the high quality of our guest rooms, Spa and Sea Glass dining experience. Our staff and I hope to welcome you back to sandy Crescent Beach this summer!

Richard Carroll, Director of Sales and Marketing
Springville, NY 14141
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I saw this Inn on Travelzoo a few years ago and have dreamed of visiting with my family and my Brittany.

Great dogs were everywhere! The staff was very helpful and amazing. We stayed in a Garden Suite. We had our own porch and an exit right to the garden and path to the ocean. This was great when our pooch had to go outside.

If you enjoy traveling with your dog, this is the place to bring them! The ocean is jut sa path away and there are lots of parks and trails nearby to bring your dog.

They give you cookies for the people in the evening and treats for the dogs.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
IBTSDOSM, Director of Sales at Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Dear Izzys1mom, Thank you for your kind review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor. I’m so glad to hear all in your party including your V.I.P. (Very Important Pet) enjoyed the stay with us. Our staff was delighted to hear that they were able to provide you with a positive experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the beautiful Maine Coast in the future! Richard W. Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I booked this through a deal on Travelzoo - it was $169 a night for a spa room. The room was clean and spacious, but the couch in the living room was really uncomfortable - but that was nothing compared to the bed - it was realllyyyyy uncomfortable - every time one of us moved it shook the entire bed, not to mention bumpy and lumpy..... not what we expected from other glowing reviews. The deck outside was tiny - barely enough room for two chairs. We thought since we booked through travelzoo, we didn't get a great room (kind of get what you pay for). We had dinner in Sea Glass the first night - my husband loved his meal, but mine was quite salty (steak and frites). Overall it was a nice stay, but again, I feel like the room was probably not one of their best...I go away to rest and relax and we definately did not get a good nights sleep

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear IBM423, Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I’m concerned about your comments regarding the comfort of your stay at the Inn and have passed them along to our facilities manager for immediate follow up. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Please know that your willingness to share is most appreciated and does not go unnoticed. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Inn sometime in the near future. Richard W. Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing.
Rochester, NH
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I had originally become interested in the Inn By the Sea about a year ago, because they are well-known to be a dog-friendly hotel. We are the proud owners of a furry husky, and I long to take her with us on our frequent weekend jaunts. I received a deal through Travelzoo, and we decided to go for it as a birthday present for me. We spent two nights in a garden suite room, but sadly did not bring the dog.

We were greeted by very friendly employees, who constantly worked to make our stay more enjoyable. We're not terribly demanding, but it was nice to be asked what could be done for us. It was a lovely set of rooms: a sitting room with minifridge, microwave, couches and flat screen TV;a luxurious bathroom with travertine tile, very deep soaking tub, sink, and spacious glass shower; and a bedroom with a very comfortable king sized bed, lots of comfy bedding options, and another flat screen television. The decor was very tasteful, and clearly a lot of thought had gone into decorating. We were given chocolate and nut dipped marshmallows that greeted us when we arrived. There were fresh cookies waiting for us in our room every afternoon. A sound system played soothing music when we came in each afternoon. The provided toiletries were top notch.

I really do wish we had brought the dog. They are truly wonderful with dogs there. I'm not sure that our dog would have been polite enough to hang with the dogs that we met, but it would have been worth a try. I have recently become pregnant, and I have been struggling with horrible morning sickness, so we thought it might be too much for a weekend getaway.

The hotel was accommodating to my "delicate condition" as well. They provided us with a DVD player since I thought I may not be up for too much exploration. As part of our package, we were provided with a free "signature cocktail"- the bartender was very accommodating and made me a non-alcoholic drink to make me feel special anyway, and it looked just as fancy as the real thing!

The highlight of the hotel is absolutely the beachside location. Each morning, we walked down the boardwalk to the nearly private beach to breathe in the sea air and play with the hotel dogs. The walks were therapeutic, to say the least. We spent our days in Old Port, Portland. We would come back and sit on our porch, looking at the ocean in the comfortable chairs provided for us, drinking tea and enjoying the quiet. It should be noted that we did not have any meals at the hotel. They were very expensive, and I was barely eating anyway. We also did not utilize the spa services, which seemed very nice.

As a side note, the hotel was very conscious of their environmental footprint. In addition to the seemingly obligatory "leave this card on your bed if you don't want us to wash your sheets", there were notes around the room requesting that we take the unused toiletries so that they don't end up in the landfill, etc.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Inn by the Sea. I'm not sure we could afford a trip there very often, but it was a great time for a special occasion.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear UndrH2O, Thank you for your kind review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your comments in regards to the high quality of our guest rooms and service at the Inn. I’m delighted we were able to provide you with a positive travel experience and we will look forward to welcoming the entire family back in the future including the “furry Huskey” and the new addition to your family. Congratulations! Richard W. Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed March 17, 2011

What an interesting place! Stunning building and seaside location, terrific staff (multiple Mikes and Mark especially). The place is immaculate and beautifully maintained, with a recent rehab. Every staff member was friendly and helpful. The robes were great. There was even a small flashlight in the closet. The shower was spacious. You can hear the breaking surf softly in the distance! The clever touches we had not come across before were a BLACK washcloth for removing make-up. I suspect it might even have done for cleaning shoes. Maybe you have seen these, but we hadn't, and we have been a lot of places. See pic. The other touch was a little paper bag to use to take home your used soap so it doesn't wind up cluttering up a landfill, see pic. Very thoughtful and original. One thing I myself especially appreciated was a REAL coffee maker in the room, with REAL coffee, full sized, with a real filter, and it made fine and strong coffee, not one of thse puny hotel thingies that makes dishwater with some little pad like an SOS pad. My friend reported that the spa was just outstanding, amazing, the best. We had "won" a discount for a custom massage via Groupon, and she raved about it, especially the steam shower in advance of the massage itself to get the body all relaxed. .

The intriguing thing about this place is that it has a $$ gazillion dollar plant and location and stunner views and yet very reasonable room rates (at least in March, don't know about the rest of the year) . In any other geographical and financial market they could and should and would easily charge $700 a room and raise the level of amenities to fit. As it is, while those very high end and costly touches are not there, and they justifiably can't be at this price point, based on the sheer stunning grandeur of the place one misses them. The rooms are perfect, clean, sunny, but there is no mini bar at all, not even the usual $12 nuts. No soft drinks, no wines, no "nuttin" in the room, just an empty small fridge. People bring their own, said a staffer. No ice maker or ice. No sound system, just a clock radio that takes iPods. At least in our "traditional" room, no writing desk. No comfy couch. Other rooms do have those items.

But still, a stupendous place, nigh perfect in every way. Maybe they could add some "high priced spread" rooms as an option, but I hear they are packed every weekend, and this even on this off season, so they are clearly doing everything right. Clients come from Boston, NY and NJ. So go, wonder and enjoy the place and the view, walk on the beach, take your dog, bring your own wine and candy bars to the room and you will be very happy campers. It is pretty much a stunner.

1 Thank johnH1892DD
Dear Kilboj, Thank you for your kind review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor and thank you for your comments in regards to the high quality of our guest rooms and grounds at the Inn. I’m especially pleased to hear your comments about our personalized service and “thoughtful touches” enhancing your travel experience with us. I’ll be sure to pass along all your comments to the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future! Richard W. Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Melrose, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I gave this hotel 5 dots in every category. The value category may not been as highly rated if I was there in the summer, and had to pay full boat for a room, but maybe the closeness of the beach and the sound of the ocean would have persuaded me that it was a great value even then. Our stay could not have been nicer. The staff is wonderful, we were thrilled to be able to bring the dog, and have the hotel be so pet friendly. We ate most of our meals in the on site restaurant, because we were only there for the weekend, and the food was excellent. I cannot say enough about how enjoyable our stay was. it is the epitome of understated luxury, without being in your face.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Uncle Jack, Thank you for your kind review of the Inn by the Sea on TripAdvisor. Our staff is so delighted that they were able to provide you with a positive experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the beautiful Maine Coast in the near future! Richard W. Carroll, Director of Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Elizabeth
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Downtown Waterfront
Higgins Beach Inn
Higgins Beach Inn
#4 of 13 in Scarborough

Been to Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!