“Deceiving website”

Silverton Sporting Ranch
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Ok so it all started with us arriving about a half hour after check-in time, since I was told not to arrive before that. We had to wait about 20 min before the right person could help us. Then we were told that since they didn't know when we were arriving (even though I had been told not to show up before 2pm and at this point its getting close to 3pm) our cabin wasn't clean. We were told it would be another hour before the cabin would be clean. We waited another 20 min before we saw this person's assistant, a young man prob in his late teens, leave to clean the cabin. He was gone only about 20 min before he returned, handed us our clean towels and told us which cabin was ours. We had already wondered that after 20 min just how clean was this cabin going to be. When we walked in, it smelled clean but it was far from clean! The floor was dirty, as was the door we came through, the fridge, microwave, silverware, bathroom sink, shower, and toilet were all dirty and the shower curtain was black with scum(it was supposed to be white)! I think the only thing that was clean was the sheets on the bed(hopefully) and the towels we were given. Since there were cleaners in the cabin, I ended up doing the cleaning.The website says that the cabins are heated and have tv/dvd players. Guess what?! It had neither! It was a dreary, cold day otherwise we probably would of been fine without heat. And we had planned on doing some hiking but because of the weather and bird hunters, we thought we'd just stay in the cabin, relax and watch some movies. The windows in the camp wouldn't close so we had to tack them shut. There were no curtains except on the big window, so we had to take towels and tack them over the windows for privacy, especially in the bathroom and bedroom. We did ask for a heater and tv which were provided for us by the nice young man, who was supposed to clean our cabin. The tv/dvd player & the heater had to be taken out of another cabin for us to use. The tv only had a 12" screen! Yeah we could have left but we were so looking forward to nice getaway so we decided to stick it out. We didn't complain to the owner because she didn't make us feel welcome to begin with so we figured she'd just tell us to leave. Then to end our evening, it was just after 10pm, it sounded like gunshots outside! We couldn't figure out if it was gunshots or fireworks. That went on for a few min then it switched over to what we could tell was fireworks. That also went on for a short while. So obviously they had no consideration for their guests. This place has potential to be nice but this is not a place for family getaways or even just a couples trip, unless you plan on hunting and if you like staying in a dirty cabin.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank harvickfan-29
mainecamp, Owner at Silverton Sporting Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

I just recently became aware of your review. I would certainly would have rather have been made aware of your concerns directly so they could be addressed but you did not choose to do so. I personally prefer to make management directly aware of any issues and give them the chance to respond directly.
I apologize for your displeasure with your visit. I don't remember you specifically so I can't speak directly to some of your comments. I do know that I have never told a customer to just leave and am not sure why you would even suggest that since you don't even know me.
Many of our customers, especially those with families prefer not to have a tv/dvd player in their cabins- their goal is typically to "get away from it all" and back to nature. You were provided a tv/dvd player. Heat in September is hit or miss at that time of year and we don't keep heaters in the cabins unless they are needed. Propane is delivered early October for the monitor heaters. You were provided a heater.
I do apologize for overlooking the shower curtain. You did move furniture to find a dusty corner.
Hunting does not occur at night and I have no control over what the neighbors do at night.

There are newer reviews for Silverton Sporting Ranch

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I love this place . Very relaxing go at your own pace. The cabins are very clean and the food is great. The bird hunting is the best I have seen

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mark W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canaan
Hampton Inn Waterville
#3 of 4 in Skowhegan
Canaan Motel
Canaan Motel
#1 of 1 in Canaan

Been to Silverton Sporting Ranch? Share your experiences!