“Heavenly”

Ranked #6 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
McLean, Virginia
“Heavenly”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

The Hawthorn Inn is a beautiful Victorian with a feel of home. A wonderful place to relax and enjoy Camden and its waterfront and restaurants, a short walk away. Maryanne and Bill are superb hosts and the breakfasts are special.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hebrew first
B'water MA
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I have visited the Hawthorn several times, and have always been delighted with all aspects of my visit there. This time around, proprietor Maryanne Shanahan and her husband Bill went way beyond what anyone would expect of innkeepers. I tripped and fell while walking in town, bruising and straining my hand and arm. Maryanne not only accompanied me to the local hospital to seek medical care and to provide support, but Bill even took the trouble to cut my food into edible pieces for me the next day. I could not have received better TLC in any setting! Thank you Maryanne and Bill. You proved your mettle for me on this visit. I look forward to my next opportunity to visit your lovely Inn.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank two-boater
Portland, Maine
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I booked a six-night stay at the Hawthorn Inn, and it was a super value all around. It is a lovely Victorian inn on a quiet street with beautiful gardens in back, but it's only a short walk to the harbor and the shops. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the staff was delightful and gave lots of personal attention, breakfasts were a treat, and it was all in an idyllic setting. Maryanne and Bill, the hosts, couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful, recommending restaurants (great recommendations, too!), booking me on a cruise, and directing me to all sorts of fun things to do around Camden and beyond. I went to get away from work and just chill, and it was a perfect vacaton all around.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
higganum, ct.
Reviewed February 9, 2009

We have been to the Hawthorn for several years in a row. We love Maryanne and Bill. It's a home away from home for us. Perfect location, everything within walking distance. Rooms are spacious, warm and comfortable. Breakfast is a culinary masterpiece,at a romantic getaway pace. Maryanne's warm personality and smile keep us going back.

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Five years ago, my husband and I stayed at the Hawthorn as a last little getaway before we had kids. We were extremely impressed back then and decided to stay again at some point when our lives allowed it. We were given that opportunity in January and took it.
The room we stayed in (Queen Anne's Tower) was beautifully decorated, clean, and relaxing. The bed was the most confortable bed I've slept in. The breakfasts provided by Maryanne were sinful! I wanted to polish my plate but didn't have the room. She also offered to make reservations if we wanted, made great suggestions for shopping in January, and just really made us feel welcomed.
The Inn is located within walking distance to the town center making tourism really easy. We are looking forward to our next stay at the Hawthorn this summer and will be taking advantage of Maryanne's knowledge of the area to keep us entertained.

• Liked — I loved that I felt at home but didn't have any of the stresses being at home entails.
  • Disliked — We were the only ones at the Inn that weekend...something completely out of the Inn keeper's control.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We stayed at the Hawthorn Inn 3 nights. Camden Maine is a cute little coastal town with a number of small shops and restaurants. The Hawthorn Inn was a real joy. Maryanne was personable and always addressed us by name once we first met her. The rooms we had were very nice. Our room had a sitting room area. Our friends had a smaller room that looked out on the front where there was a beautiful tree that was changing to amazing red and yellow colors due to the season. The breakfasts were amazing. They were described and appeared like something out of top chef. Most of the breakfasts wouls satisfy a vegetarian but one breakfast had some protein. The breakfasts were delicious and the presentation was amazing. We highly recommend.

Alan & Diana Bauer

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — No TV
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
Reviewed November 6, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at the Hawthorn Inn several times. Maryanne, the inn keeper, is a warm, gracious and knowledgeable hostess, and her husband is friendly and just as knowledgeable. The inn is beautifully done and very inviting. From the gorgeous back deck, to the sunny dining room, to the welcoming double parlor, this inn is one of our favorite B&Bs! The complimentary robes are luxurious, the bed linens clean and comfy, the rooms appointed immaculately. The staff is friendly, the food good, the atmosphere welcoming. If you're going to be anywhere near Camden, don't miss the gem among Maine inns!!

• Liked — Maryanne's gracious nature, wonderful guests, and the beautifully appointed inn
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything to dislike.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple