“"A Little Slice Of Heaven"”

Hartstone Inn & Hideaway
Ranked #5 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was the perfect spot!! My husband and I wanted to get away for a short vacation...somewhere quite and quaint. I received an email that spoke of the Top 10 Gourmet Inn's in the World. Hartstone Inn was 1 of them and caught my attention! We could not have been happier. My husband loves the country and I love food, so it turned out magical. My husband is a very basic, plain eater and feared for the worst but I reassured him he would be fine!! Every morsel he ate...he LOVED and he even told Chef Michael how much he enjoyed not only our stay but the food as well. The food Chef Michaels prepares is fresh, local and divine! He and his Beautiful wife Mary Jo have created a warm and inviting Inn that could not possibly leave one disappointed. They didn't miss not even 1 bit of detail in their décor or in their restaurant. The town of Camden is also one not to be missed. Soon after we arrived home...FORBES magazine wrote up Camden, ME as being #2 of the Top 10 Prettiest Towns to see. We must agree with them!! So you have location, comfort and Amazing food all in 1 place! Comes highly recommended from the 2 of us!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the HIDEAWAY because it was off the main road. That is where I would stay next time as...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We normally don't consider a B&B but was open to a new experience on this trip!!
What a plesant surprise... If you are like us and don't usually consider a B&B, I would say, think
again. I would strongly urge you to make this a must stay if you are anywhere close!
We loved the style of the accommodations, the staff was very friendly and we enjoyed visiting
with the other guests in the am for coffee. We felt like we were family and had come home for the holidays. The 5-course dinner we had on the veranda was "Fab" the meal, the service and overall ambiance was a pure delight! The owner's, MaryJo and Michael, were there to greet us and serve us a wonderful breakfast. We ranked this a definate highlight of our vacation and would definately revisit!! Trina and Tom

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I rarely consider my accommodations to be a "destination" of a particular vacation, although the quality of my accommodations is always an important aspect of any vacation experience. That said, the Hartstone Inn is one of those rare accommodations that I value as a destination in and of itself when my husband and I plan a trip to the East Coast. We have had the opportunity to stay at the Hartstone Inn several times under the ownership of Mary Jo and Michael, and we have planned our trips around the availability of a room at their Inn. Our most recent stay has its own special memories, including a new favorite room that will be our first choice when we plan our next visit to Maine. The most notable attribute of the Hartstone Inn is the "at home" atmosphere, whether you are relaxing in your room, having an early morning or late afternoon break in the parlor, or enjoying a gourmet breakfast or five course dinner in the dining room. We expect that Mary Jo and Michael have made many friends in all their years at the Hartstone Inn. We thank them for making us feel like "old friends" by their warm welcome and personable and personal attention and service during our stays. We thank them most of all for sharing their extraordinary lives and talents with others doing what they love.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This was our third stay at the Hartstone. Because of the busy season, we had to move between rooms over our two nights, which was fine. Both nights we were in the Hideaway, the Viola and the Lemon Verbena. The Hideaway is nice, but we prefer the main inn (although the Hideaway is quieter).

On our previous visits, we stayed in suites and I would rate them both excellent. With these rooms, I would rate them as very good, but not quite up to the same standard as the suites. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were wonderful. The showers were also hot and had a lot of pressure.

I would still highly recommend The Hartstone and Hideaway and I am sure we will make future visits. But if you can afford the suites, I would go for that.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We just spent a week traveling through Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine touring the autumn beauty and this by far was the VERY BEST bed and breakfast of the week. The French style was charming. The staff was anxious to please. We enjoyed talking to other guests in the parlor while waiting to be seated for dinner. Lots of information about what to do in town. The Mansard Room was better than the photos. Clean and comfortable. The Inn thought of everything you could possibly want. We started to go out on the town for dinner but others told us that people travel HERE for dinner. We decided to stay and it was the best dinner of the week. Excellent chef. Breakfast was enjoyable too with iPads on the tables with information on what to do for the day, or simply enjoy a slide show of France and Italy. I went for a bike ride in the morning and then enjoyed the town. Lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Last weekend, we stayed in the Paris Room at this Inn. The room was lovely and comfortable, as was the entire property - clean, well maintained, and beautifully decorated. The room was well appointed and included an air conditioning unit and a fireplace - ready for any weather conditions! Lucky us, we had the most perfect weather of the entire summer!
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, but not intrusive, and Mary Jo made excellent suggestions of places to visit if you have free time or are unfamiliar with the area. Camden is beautiful and there's lots to do and see in the area, so some organization is a good thing! The Inn is located downtown, and it's an easy walk to shops, restaurants, and the pier. Because it is downtown though, there is traffic noise at times.
We stayed for two nights, so we had two breakfasts and one dinner (Chef's tasting) at the Inn. All of the food was amazing, from the fantastic dinner and breakfasts to the tea and cookies in the afternoon, to the appetizers that are served with cocktails at happy hour. This restaurant has earned its excellent reputation.
Mary Jo and Chef Michael are clearly in their element and have created a gem of a B&B. I feel that having such a welcoming, comfortable place to stay was a large part of our enjoyable visit to Camden. I would not hesitate to recommend their Hartstone Inn when you visit Camden!

Room Tip: Check the Hartstone Inn's website - you can view pictures of all the rooms, their location and a...
Reviewed October 2, 2013

A lovely, well located B&B right in the heart of Camden. An easy walk to anywhere in town. We got the last room available-Tally Ho which has too much furniture-often the case with B&Bs. The bathroom is across the hall from the room. Not really a big deal and it was private and well appointed. Room was somewhat noisy in the morning as that room is on the street side. The Hartstone is supposed to be a great restaurant as well. We did not have dinner, but if breakfast is any indication I would stay away. Breakfast started with a dense cake with strawberries which may have been left over from last evening's meal. It was followed by a flavorless, weird textured quiche accompanied by a cold pasta salad with ham-very disappointing! The inn was fine, location and price was fair. Breakfast was a bust.

Room Tip: Tally Ho room is not ensuite. It has nice bathroom across the hall. No big deal, but room can be noi...
2  Thank NCtraveldiva