“A don't miss experience...”

Hartstone Inn & Hideaway
Ranked #4 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hartstone is our favorite getaway an we have been there many times. What impresses us is the attention to detail. The rooms are beautifully appointed and immaculate. The Garden Suite had a large comfortable bed. Chef Michael and Mary Jo (the owners) go out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable. The food is beyond compare and they offer a tea in the afternoon and a cocktail hour before dinner with martini specialties. While the meals are pre-determined, they take seriously your food preferences and allergies, and impressively remember them so you don't have to remind them at each meal. Chef Michael has even come to our table at breakfast and made suggestions for things to do during the day. The Inn is conveniently located so you can walk to the quaint downtown area for some shopping or a bite to eat if you choose not to eat at the Inn. There is lots to do no matter what the season.

You will not be disappointed. We can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I went to Camden for a quick get away for first anniversary. I picked the Hartstone Inn as our resting spot. I don't love B&Bs because I feel like I am in someone's home. But Hartstone has room that are removed from the main building. I chose one of these rooms (carriage house). Upon arriving we were greeted by a cordial woman was perfectly friendly. She walked us to our room and there were wine glasses waiting for us as I had requested. I will add, when I called to request the wine glasses I left a message. In less than 5 minutes someone from Hartstone called back stating that they had recieved a call from my number. When I asked them if they received my message they said they had not listened to it. Please do not have me leave a message and then not listen to it before you call back. Waste of my time. Moving on....
The pictures are true to the space. The room is appropriately masculine while still having some whimsy. The bed in this room leaves everything to be desired. Your feet are elevated above your head and there is a dip in the center of the bed. It was one of the worst nights sleep I have had away from home in a while. I went to the gal at the next in the morning. She said that she would have the housekeepers go in and fix it while we had breakfast. They put blocks under the posts at the head which alleviated much of the issue, but your feet are still higher than your head and the dip in the bed did not improve. I appreciate their expeditious attack on this issue, however the solution fell short. We checked out a day early due to this issue and as far as I can see, we were not charged for this second day.
Breakfast was yummy. We had an almond cake to start and shired eggs as the second course. Each table at breakfast has an ipad for your use at breakfast. What a great, forward idea for a B&B.

1  Thank Malina P
catguy1000, Owner at Hartstone Inn & Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank You for your feedback regarding your stay at the Inn. We recognize that a getaway is a very special time away for travelers and it is our goal to ensure we can make our guests as comfortable as possible. After you mentioned your concern with your bed we took immediate action to examine and flip the mattress. The suite is newly renovated and the mattress was replaced during room renovation so we were surprised you were uncomfortable and could not see or feel a dip, so we tried to be creative and think of an quick solution to change the position of your feet inserting the small risers under the frame. We would have happily changed rooms or done anything within our ability to make you comfortable.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have been staying at the Hartstone Inn for 10 years and have never been disappointed. Mary Jo and Michael are exceptional and provide for our every need, always with a smile. Their staff are warm, friendly and courteous. The rooms are always consistently clean and confortable with music greating you as you enter each room. We have stayed at the Hideaway and the main Inn and love both. Michael's five-course dinners are always on our agenda as a special treat that we don't miss and we usually end of eating there most of the time during our stays. His breakfast is also exceptional. While you visit, you might want to consider one or both of his cookbooks. We purchased both and enjoy our Camden meals in Virginia since we can't be in Maine. It is always sad to depart, but we leave looking forward to our next visit. We just love Michael, Mary Jo and the Hartstone Inn and don't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
catguy1000, Manager at Hartstone Inn & Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank You for making us your home away from home! Celebrating with you at the Inn for Christmas, along with so many other returning guests made our holiday very special

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I took a babymoon to the Hartstone last May in advance of our first baby being born. We wanted to get away and had never been to this part of Maine, plus we got a great Groupon to use at the Inn before the busy summer season. We purchased an upgrade to stay in the French Thyme Suite. It is in a separate building just a block or so from the main Inn, but we didn't mind. The suite was very nicely decorated with a gas fireplace, a little sitting room, etc., When I say a little sitting room, it is quite small, but we didn't really need much else. I wasn't sure how breakfast would be because it is in this separate building and not the main Inn, but it was amazing and I imagine the same as what the Inn serves the folks who have rooms there.

The bathroom was lovely and had a huge tub. I even loved the shampoo they provide - don't give you little bottles but have one bigger bottle to help reduce number of plastic bottles used...nice touch. The Inn was in a perfect location for walking to town and driving around the area. The biggest plus of the Inn was the food. Michael Salmon did not disappoint. They were also very accommodating for me and my dietary restrictions for being pregnant. The food was just delicious - from the fresh squeezed juices to the homemade ravioli to various lobster dishes. Some of the plates were a little heavy, but absolutely delicious - very talented chef who takes great pride in his food. My only complaint is that I didn't get to meet the chef to pay him compliments!

Other food suggestions for the area - Shepard's Pie in Rockport (next town..very close) was very good - eccentric menu and very good quality. Was a nice bar as well...dark wood - can look right into the kitchen. My parents are often up in the area and have said wonderful things about Primo's, which is in either Rockport or Rockland (they weren't open that early in May).

If you need some exercise after eating all of this food, the Inn has membership keys to the local YMCA (within 1-2 miles from the Inn) - the nicest YMCA I have ever been in!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KTO711
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our first visit to The Hartstone Inn was in April following the recommendation of friends when I was looking for a special place to take my wife for a birthday surprise. The Camden area has many options for places to stay and eat, but I wanted someplace that would be a cut above the rest - and thanks to the recommendation of others, we found it all at the Hartstone Inn.

During the Christmas holiday break, we returned for two nights (originally booked for one, but we went there a day earlier to avoid travelling during a snow storm). From check-in through check-out, everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful, and very accommodating. Our room for the first night was in the Hideaway Inn, which is a very short walk from the Hartstone. Upon arrival, we were given a tour of the main floor, and then shown the amenities of our room (Lavendar Suite).

We relaxed in front of the gas fireplace for a while and then walked over for dinner, which was every bit as nice as we remembered from our first visit. Each course came out at a comfortable pace; we never waited long between courses, nor did we feel like we were being rushed.
The next morning, Mary Jo casually visited with each guest at breakfast (smoked salmon and eggs benedict…Mmmm) and offered suggestions on activities to suit the weather conditions and guest interests.

We had the Arbor Suite for the second night, which is in a different building, but the transition from one to the other was seamless in spite of being in the middle of a nor’easter.

That afternoon, thanks to a gift from my family, I was the “Chef for a Day” with Chef Michael while my wife went off for a massage. I enjoy cooking, but have learned most of what I know from watching TV and making a lot of mistakes; so I was a bit anxious about how the afternoon would go working one-on-one with such an accomplished chef. However, less than a minute after walking into the kitchen, the anxiety was gone. Chef Michael and Tim were wonderful and patient instructors. We went through the details of the menu and while preparing the evening meal, they were helpful, engaging, and entertaining. I learned a lot and had a wonderful time – as in “dream of a lifetime” kind of wonderful.

While in the kitchen, it was interesting to see what happens ‘behind the scenes’ as phone calls came in throughout the afternoon with last minute changes and special dietary considerations (all of which they are able to accommodate). It was especially impressive to experience the creative process as Michael and Tim talked about customizing the menu. It was evident that their goal is to provide a delightful culinary experience for all guests.

During dinner that evening, it was great fun to share with my wife the details of how each dish was prepared. The servers worked as a team to keep the flow of the meal smooth and the water glasses full. Shortly after the entrees were served, Chef Michael visited every table and talked with each guest to be sure they were enjoying their meal.

We lingered a bit after desert, then bundled up for the short walk to our room where we enjoyed the warmth of the gas fireplace and reflected on our day as the winter storm raged on outside.

After another tasty and relaxing breakfast the following morning, we eventually left and drove home – already looking forward to another opportunity to return.

We have now stayed in three different rooms during our stays, and enjoyed the personality of each. If you are looking for someplace where every room is the same, this may not be for you. But if you are looking for a place with warmth, character, wonderful service, and fine dining, this is just the place. We highly recommend meeting Mary Jo, Michael, and their staff; and enjoying the relaxing experience of the Hartstone Inn.

Room Tip: Talk with the staff about available rooms when making your reservation. Each room has its own perso...
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I spend every December 23, 24 , and Christmas morning at the Hartstone Inn and are always welcomed by two of the nicest innkeepers in all of the State of Maine; MaryJo and Michael. What a wonderful experience it is to stay in an Inn with well thought out decor and perhaps the best food on the coast of Maine. I would recommend the Hartstone Inn and Hideaway to anyone who is traveling to midcoast Maine at any time of the year.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I, and my brother and sister-in-law, stayed at the Hartstone one night and thought it was wonderful. Hartstone Inn is on the main street into town, while the Hideaway is a block or so away. Upon entering the main Inn, there is a small foyer, a parlor to the left, and the staircase to rooms to the right side. The dining room is around to the right, with a small interior room and a windowed larger room. There are probably only about 10-12 tables.

Coming up the staircase, there are two rooms to the left on the front of the building, I believe the Toscana and the Paris rooms (ask). To the right was the Tally-ho, with the shower room across the hall. At this point the hallway turned to give access at the end to the Loft and Provence rooms. We had the Provence room, which was pretty small (about 12 x 14?) but nicely appointed with two chairs, two nightstands, a dresser, and a sink in the room. The bathroom had a tub/shower. The location of the room was very good - preferable to the others mentioned above. I'm not sure where the other rooms in this building are located.

My brother and sister-in-law had the second and third floor Rosehip Suite in the Hideaway. That would be my favorite room in the Inn. It had a private entrance and then a quite steep staircase up to the suite. The first, large bedroom was to the left, with the bathroom to the right and another staircase up to the second bedroom with a twin bed. Just a darling room, with a nice view on the gardens, and very quiet location.

Breakfast was very good, with the chef serving us. He has a great sense of humor. We had dinner at the Inn and it was delicious. We also ate at Primo's, which we loved, but for the price I would recommend Hartstone as another great choice for superlative cuisine.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camden
Lord Camden Inn
Grand Harbor Inn
#1 of 10 in Camden
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Relais & Chateaux Camden Harbour Inn

Been to Hartstone Inn & Hideaway? Share your experiences!