“A Beautiful Inn!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
vermont
“A Beautiful Inn!”
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I was lucky enough to stay here with my husband for a couple of nights a few weeks ago. We stayed in the Treetop suite, which is absolutely gorgeous, (loved the beautiful bathroom!) and were treated as if we were on our honeymoon. We had a very delicious Blueberry pancake breakfast and on our departure day we had to leave very early, so Ruthie was kind enough to send us off with fresh coffee and hot muffins! The area is quaint and very lovely! Can't wait to get the chance to go back, Thank you.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Maine
Reviewed May 10, 2008

The Blackberry Inn was Truly a Refreshing Getaway! I had searched many sites for a bed and breakfast; none had truly caught our attention until I saw the Blackberry Inn. There was Our room right in front of me. The Birch Retreat Suite had a jacuzzi, a huge 4-poster bed with a birch canopy frame (that I fell in love with as soon as I saw it), and an efficient kitchen area, a sitting area and a second bedroom. The entire room was a downeast oudoors home-away-from home. The attention to detail was wonderful, from the fishing basket on the wall, antlers on the wardrobe, to the bath hand towels with applique bears, electric fireplace (ahhh...) and the birch post beams with warm painted cinnamon colored walls.
Our hostess, Ruthie was very welcoming. She cooked us two scrumptious breakfasts while we were there, each with fresh blackberries on the plate-their signature. She was also very knowledgable about the area and helpful in suggesting places to visit.
We had a glorious weekend-the sun was shining (and if it hadn't, we would have been just as content staying inside our cozy retreat endlessly), the ocean/beach was exhilirating (only a short distance to walk down the road) and the food and our room was delightful! We couldn't have asked for a more refreshing, relaxing, much needed getaway. There is no doubt that we will be returning in the future.

• Liked — Friendliness and Location
  • Disliked — I wasn't able to stay longer due to work
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Jim, Cindy and Ruthie are by the far the best hosts that anyone could hope for on a trip to Camden, or anywhere else for that matter. I called around to book a romantic weekend with my girlfriend and they could not have been more accommodating. We signed up for the Romantic Valentine's Day weekend and it was by far the best stay at a bed and breakfast either of us have ever had. We checked in later than we had hoped on Friday night and Jim was courteous enough to show us around the main house and our room and made sure we were comfortable before he left. He also provided us with a local map and showed us where we could get some food since it was 830 by the time we arrived. We were late because of a family emergency and they were completely understanding the entire weekend and were always making sure we were ok. They were simply amazing and made you feel like family. The flowers that they had waiting were gorgeous and the chocolates were delicious. Speaking of delicious, the gourmet breakfasts that Jim prepared were simply first class. During the cooking class Jim taught of some of his secrets, Cindy taught us how to make a wonderful chocolate desert and Ruthie gave us wine novices a great introduction on the basics of pairing wine with food. The 5 course meal we ate Saturday night was unbelievable. On Sunday they made us reservations for the Camden snow bowl and all we had to do was show up for our snowboarding lessons. When we got back we soaked in the whirlpool tub and then sat by the gas fireplace and just relaxed. The entire stay was absolutely wonderful and we are already recommending it to friends and family. It is close enough to downtown that you can walk everywhere but far enough away that it is nice and quiet. We stayed in the Garden Gate room and when we walked in they had classical music playing. My girlfriend said it best when she said it was like dream. We will definitely be back.

• Liked — The food, rooms and hosts.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Maine
Reviewed January 29, 2008

GREAT Accommodations. The rooms were very comfortable, clean and the staff was outstanding.

Best place to stay in Mid-Coast Maine!

• Liked — Atmoshpere
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
boston
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Our stay at the Blackberry Inn was exceptional in all ways. We were very excited about the positive reviews we read on tripadvisor, and even our high expectations were surpassed. The staff (Cyndi, Jim, and Ruthie) were incredibly gracious and warm. As soon as we walked through the door, they had recommendations of places to go and things to do. Our room (the Hidden Garden room) was immaculate. The king-sized bed had the softest sheets I've ever felt, and combined with the feather bed atop the mattress, we had luxurient nights of sleep. The bathroom had both a shower and a large jacuzzi tup. There was an electric fireplace that kept our room warm and cozy (we loved the romance of it as well!) and we were loathe to leave the inn, in spite of all the charm of Camden's town center.

One thing that cannot be understated is the FOOD!! Jim spent a few years in culinary school, and the meals we ate there (including a five-course dinner on New Year's Eve) were some of the best of my life! That may sound like an exaggeration, but I promise you...it's not! Everything was fresh and amazing. They were also very quick to accomodate any requests or changes that we wanted.

There is an honor bar stocked with wine, local micro-brews, water, and soda. In the main house, we also enjoyed tea, coffee, and sweet treats that are kept out at all times.

I also have to mention an incredible massage that I received. Ruthie was kind enough to book this appointment for me prior to my arrival. Just a short walk from the inn, Aiyana Athenian (at the wellness center in the yellow house) gave me one of the best treatments I've ever gotten. I went to massage therapy school and therefore have both high standards and knowledge of how a massage "should" be. I walked out of my appointment feeling blissfully unwound and astounded at her skill. She has a true gift. If you stay at the inn (and why wouldn't you given all of the excellent reviews on this site?) you MUST book an appointment. The rate is reasonable ($60 for an hour and $90 for an hour and a half) and incredibly worth it. The number is [--].

We can't wait to return. We love going to bed and breakfasts around New England. During the summer months, I am sure that Camden is bustling and too crowded for our taste. But in the quiet of the off-season, we have found our perfect retreat. A huge thanks to Cyndi, Jim, and Ruthie for truly making our year!!

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — the children
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed November 12, 2007

It would be impossible to say too many wonderful things about Blackberry Inn. My boyfriend found this gem on the web when looking for last minute places to stay for a long November weekend getaway in New England. The culinary package caught our eye - we love to cook as well as eat good food. We arrived late Friday night, well after normal check-in hours, but the innkeepers, Cindy and Jim, were very kind and accomodating. They gave us a brief tour and then lead us up to our room. We booked "Treetops" which you access outside the main building, up a staircase overlooking the garden. The room is beautiful, with high arched ceiling, sitting furniture, gas fireplace, high quality linens, king-size bed, and pillows, pillows and more pillows. The adjoining bathroom has a stand-up shower and separate claw-foot tub. The rooms were spotless and tastefully decorated in the Victorian style, but not over the top. After a glass of wine at the honor bar (available 24 hours), we slept like a dream, woke up Saturday to a two-course breakfast in the main building. Jim is an amazing cook! Everything was fresh, and his attention to detail (orange zest on the multi-grain pancakes) made us feel like royalty. We spent the day exploring Camden - great hiking and coastal driving nearby, and returned to the Inn for the cooking class. Jim and Josh (a local chef) lead a lively and hands-on class during which we made wild mushroom risotto, pan-seared duck breasts, crepes, and roasted vegetables. Most of the produce was locally grown and organic. Tasting our cooking was, of course, the best part, but we had to save room for the five course dinner included in our package. Dinner at 7pm was divine. I would be the first one to admit I'm a food snob and, living in a city, have plenty of opportunity to try high-end cuisine. Blackberry Inn can stand alongside any east coast urban restaurant. Jim and Josh are wonderful chefs, who know how to use fresh ingredients to make elegant but not frou-frou dishes. If you stay, be sure to have at least one dinner at the Inn. You won't regret it. After dinner enjoy coffee and play scrabble or chess next to the wood burning stove in one of the three available parlors, or go back to your room for a long soak in the tub. We have no doubt Blackberry Inn will see us again!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Northern Massachusetts
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I just returned from a 4-night stay at the beautiful Inns at Blackberry Common in Camden, Maine. This was my first experience ever staying at a Bed & Breakfast. I can't say enough about the experience. Jim & Cindy were wonderful hosts. This Inn is lovely. The rooms & bathrooms were immaculate and the bed linens & towels were plush. Breakfast was incredible and each day we wondered - "what will we have today?" There were 10 of us in our group -- it was a very relaxed Corporate Staff Meeting. They were very accommodating and we were able to arrange for lunch each day. Let me tell you - we have never had such great food for an entire meeting! I highly recommend the Inns at Blackberry Common whether it be for a weekend getaway or you might even consider it for a small, relaxed meeting. Also, there is so much to do in Camden -- great restaurants and shops as well as the harbor -- all within walking distance of the Inns.

• Liked — The Quaintness of the Antique Homes and furnishings
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business