“Xmas by the Sea at the Blackberry!”

Inns at Blackberry Common
Ranked #7 of 19 Camden B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Xmas by the Sea at the Blackberry!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just returned from another great weekend at the Blackberry Inn – our first time back in almost 2 years, and we were not disappointed! We were there for Christmas by the Sea in Camden this time, and the inn was decorated to the nines and looking gorgeous.

We stayed in one of the lower garden rooms (Garden Gate, I think?) and were cozy and comfortable throughout our chilly and slightly snowy winter getaway. With the fireplace cranking and the dangerously comfortable king bed (loved those linens), it was that much harder to leave the room! But there was lots to see and do during Xmas by the Sea – highly recommend it for next year, especially if you have kids. The room had everything we could possible need – lots of extra blankets, a Jacuzzi tub, wineglasses, TV, wifi, fridge, super-plush robes... We also stocked up on some brownies and chocolates from the common area and appreciated being able to buy a very reasonably priced bottle of nice red wine for our room. (You see what I mean about having a hard time leaving??)

The food, as always, was superb, fresh and abundant. Loved the big waffles with blackberry-sage sauce our first morning and had some of the best oatmeal I’ve ever had the second morning. Oatmeal is such a simple dish – but done right, it can really become something special. (Need to get that recipe from Jim…) I’d eaten so much at dinner the night before that I skipped the main breakfast entrée (eggs with a béchamel-y sauce) and stuck with oatmeal and fruit, but my husband practically licked his plate clean.

We were also lucky enough to be there for a dinner weekend when Jim cooks for guests. What an amazing dinner… Carrot soup with candied ginger crème and fresh nutmeg, salad with baked pears and a delicious blueberry vinaigrette, a homemade blackberry granita that was out of this world, and huge fresh scallops with a sort of grape reduction thingy that sounds odd but worked beautifully. All topped off with a flourless chocolate cake with blackberry sauce. Needless to say, it’s juice diet for the rest of the week...

We also want to give a shout out to some great new spots in town (or new to us anyway)… Long Grain has some of the best Thai homestyle food we’ve ever had outside of Thailand. Seriously amazing stuff (and recently written up in the NYT). Josephine is a cool little shop with covetable homewares and jewelry, and though we didn’t get to 40 Paper this time, a bunch of friends have said the food is amazing. Just one more reason to come back.

After living in Asia for nearly two years and staying in some very nice but BIG luxury hotels there, it was such a treat to come back to The Blackberry for wonderful food, personable service and unique Maine charm. We look forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Love Treetops for extra privacy and charm. The garden rooms are also very cozy and private. Birch ro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Mpls
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed in the Marshall Point Room #5 which was in the "yellow building". Very comfortable clean room. We walked downtown. Inn is close to downtown Camden and the waterfront. Cyndie and Jim are wonderful hosts. Breakfast was homemade granola, honey and yogurt parfait followed by Maine blueberry pancakes (whole wheat and corn) with maple syrup. Jim recommended we go to Mount Batttie before heading to Acadia Natl Park. The views from Mount Battie were beautiful...well worth the stop. I bought a ceramic Inn at Blackberry mug to commemorate our very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Arrived evening told that common areas that night were reserved for a party not related to guests at the Inn. Told to use small room 14X16 feet if we wished and able to have a $6.50 small glass of wine from cheap bottle .Not very welcoming.You run an Inn for your guests not for OTHERS.

Photo on line showed very differently than room, Grindle Point. The bathroom was very small & cramped, 41/2 X41/2.

The room was long and narrorw, not large enough for a king bed. It was completely lumpy and not flat, very uncomfortable. The was lighting inadequate on one side and non-existant on the other.

The seating area was uncomfortable and furnished with left overs.
Advertised wifi throughout inn but was not available in our room.

One good comment: breakfast excellent.

1 Thank catsailor0044
Chichester, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights this week in a "suite", double room, bath and adjoining single room. Wonderfully appointed buildings, every attention given to guest comfort. Nice location right on the edge of downtown, easy access to everything. Breakfast was artfully presented, well thought out, very satisfying. Special requests were handled graciously. I'm not usually a fan of the B&B model, but this is an exception. Would recommend this establishment to any friend. Only "complaint", common to a 200-year-old building (heavily restored and improved) was a noisy upstairs neighbor our second night, tromping around late at night. Otherwise no sound leakage from that or other rooms. Loved this place!

• Stayed October 2012
Tall Timbers, Maryland
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We just finished a nice 3 night stay at Inns at Blackberry. The owners take great effort to make sure that they accommodate your needs and ensure that you have an enjoyable stay. The personal attention extends to inquiring about your dining preferences upon check-in and then preparing specially designed meals to ensure that your desires are fulfilled. Every other request, such as an ice bucket for evening cocktails, was promptly satisfied. Much information about the area, such as places to visit and other dining options were offered regularly throughout our visit.

Located on Route 1, the front rooms, of which we had one, are exposed to the passing traffic, but this was not a problem for us, probably because vehicles drop of significantly from early evening onward.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I happened upon this delightful B&B as we were passing through Camden. We only had one night in town, and we're glad we experienced it at The Inn. Jim & Cyndi were kind and gracious and clearly have a passion to ensure the comfort of their guests. We enjoyed our morning coffee seated outside in the lovely garden. Jim used local produce and fresh herbs from their garden to masterfully create a breakfast that was incredibly delicious and beautiful--a culinary experience! We stayed in the Bette Davis room which is in the front of the Inn. The room is equipped with an A/C unit, but the temperature in October is cool and comfortable. I typically sleep with fresh air coming in through a window or from a ceiling fan, but the room doesn't have a fan. During the night we opened the windows but soon had to close them due to traffic noise. (The traffic noise was not a problem with the windows closed.) I wish I had remembered to bring a portable fan. The owners are so accommodating that I'm pretty sure if I called Cyndi even at that hour she would have found one for me! That was the one drawback, but the charm of the Inn and the hosts make this an easy one to overlook. I highly recommend a stay here!

Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Inn amazed us! The hosts, Jim and Cyndi made us feel like family. Jim's breakfastes were gourmet, tasty and the setting was elegant. Cyndi was a wealth of knowledge concerning the sights to see and things to do. All of the staff (some were from Romania) were friendly and helpful, they always had time to talk. I've traveled so much throughout the years and simply do not ask for favors or even acknowledge my food concerns, but Jim changed that! On the first morning for breakfast I had to say that the gluten foods would not work for me. I had, throughout time, accepted that folks don't have a gluten free diet for me. but to my amazement Jim jumped right in and prepared me a gluten free breakfast and tasty too! I could write a lot more but I'm sure the readers want me to get to the heart of it, and that is: Jim and Cyndi have heart, they love their guests, their Inn, their staff, it shows!

Room Tip: The Marshall Point room is spacious, has its own porch with seating, lovely gardens to view and easy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple